3D design software

I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for 3D design software for a beginner? I have no experience with 3D software, but would love to learn. Cost is not an issue. I would like something that is easy to learn, but still offers powerful features.

Thanks for any input!

Mark

I say Maya if you can get a hold of it or Bryce I heard is good. I've only used Maya a few times, but it was really nice and quite easy to use.

Thanks for the info! I actually had looked at using Maya. Did you find it easy to use?

I found it easy to use, but if you do choose to use it I would get a book just to have a good reference to use it.

Maya can be expensive, but it is very easy to use and makes some nice products.

Re: 3D design software

Originally posted by xyte
    I have no experience with 3D software, but would love to learn. Cost is not an issue.

Thanks for any input!

Mark

if cost is not an issue, get 3DS Max.
    its not easy to learn it, but it does come with a very good tutorial CD...
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

3ds Max, Maya, and Lightwave along with a few others are considered industry standard, as far as Bryce, don't bother with it, though ive seen a few people that can model some crazy stuff with it.

I'm using 3ds max and lightwave.

I'm now saving for bryce

3ds max has a good learning curve I must say.

Darn! I was going to reccomend 3ds Max. Search google and see what some people have made with it first.

I prefer 3ds Max. Other good packages that are overlooked are Form Z, Softimage, Zbrush, & Hash Animation Master.

You might want to try http://www.wings3d.com/

Its free and pretty easy to get into. Especially given lightwave is about $1500 and 3dmax is not cheap either. Maya is even more I think and all those have very steep learning curves and take years to master.

Even if cost is not an issue you had best at least try a demo or such before you buy, to see what one you prefer.

It also depends what you want to do. Whether its create 3d models, landscapes etc. Since there is other software like Worldbuilder and Vue d esprit that covers those too.

Bryce and Vue both have basic modelling tools and are easy to get results in, but they are not industrial strength products like the others. Plus are more landscape programs.

G luck
    James

Thanks everyone for your replies! I agree I need to try some demo's. These 3D packages are EXPENSIVE! I downloaded a Maya trial and am impressed so far. I thinki I may go with it.

Thanks again!
    Mark

Cool3D is quite good. It's used for designing 3D banners for your website.

* My new site doortouniverse.4t.com

My new doortouniverse is receiving a lot of visit and I see it going successfully on the internet but I need to switch to flash for web design.Space games astronomy softwares everything is free to download.
    Last edited by vknapster; 05-31-2004 at 02:32 AM.

my doortouniverse.4t.com website is in the net receiving many visits but I need to switch to flash version of it

I am trying for hacking search engines but not that successfully

Here are you're only options in my eyes
    3DSM
    Lightwave
    Maya
    Cinema 4D

Now, beyond the insanely advanced components (which Maya and 3DSM would have the lead in), the other 2 can do just about the same things. Therefore, it comes down to personal preference, if you really care, download a demo of each and try out a few tutorials.

Personally, I like 3DSM, but I guess that's because I've used it so long.

Maya is simply fantastic, if you can afford the unlimited version (about $9,000). However, there's a great, inexpensive 3D modeler that seems to go unnoticed way too often. For around $400, you will love learning ZBrush, by Pixologic. So far, it seems to be the program of choice for making aliens and galactic scenery, but it's really much more practical than that (for example, 209.132.69.82/gallery/gallery.html?antropus1.jhtml&53#detail ).

Paul H
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

3DSMax is OK, but it loses any credibility it once had for only supporting one platform - Windows. No linux or mac here folks, which generally makes it not an option for any serious studio, who want linux-based render farms and stable workstations.

If you're just dabbling, try blender: http://www.blender3d.org - it's a free 3d suite with some very very nice features. It's no Maya, but it's still damn good for the price.

I would personally pick lightwave or maya because of the cross-platform abilities of them (especially maya) and the hollywood-level tools you get.
    Gone.

I am using Ulead cool 3D from many time and I am happy with it. I use it for rotate text or for simple logo. But when I need heavy 3D images like buildings or for some machines i use 3D studio Max. It fine for me. I not yet use Maya. But if I got chance I will see it.

Id use 3d studio max and bryce for starting, as theyre wonderful and really nice to use

Hope you get it all going well

Regards,
    JB

is bryce can make machines or building 3D images?

Wow! A lot more choices out there then I thought. I just wanted to thank everyone who posted a reply. It has been very helpful. I am going to try blender3d, and Maya. If I can do what I need with blender for now I could save $9,000 But if it is as powerful as it looks I think it would be worth the money.

Thanks again,
    Mark

URL of blender3d?

Originally posted by eglim
    URL of blender3d?
    www.blender.org