stay w/EV1 or jump to AIT or 1and1 or ServerMatrix?

Hi all:

I have a couple of 1.3 cele white boxes w/EV1, still running Ensim 3.1.11. I really need to upgrade PHP to at least 4.3.3 so I guess I will need to upgrade Ensim as well, since the version I have is no longer supported. The servers (and one other I have w/servforce, that I will be getting rid of) just host my own sites. After poking about, seems the easiest way to do this is to just get a new box from EV1 and move my sites over.

So then I start thinking, if I am going to do all of that work, maybe I should take a look at some of the other guys out there offering better prices? AIT's P4 looks awefully good, and 1and1 and servermatrix both have some better packages than EV1. And I remember 2yrs ago when I got my first server w/EV1, people used to talk about how bad their service was, etc. I have been pretty happy w/them, only 2 tickets in 2yrs, both handled pretty promptly. I don't really put much strain on the boxes, but the extra horsepower the other guys are offering is pretty attractive.

Thoughts?
    Mark

If I was you I would stick with Ev1... maybe go with a new control panel? But for sure do not go with AIT, if you want some horror stories check out www.aitsucks.com
    hm what should I put in my sig?

Originally posted by ChaosHosting
    If I was you I would stick with Ev1... maybe go with a new control panel? But for sure do not go with AIT, if you want some horror stories check out www.aitsucks.com
    Never knew that site existed.

There's nothing wrong with TP or Ev1, so I guess you could save the trouble and stay with Ev1, just get another box.

Highly recommend doing a search on AIT here at WHT.... Buyer beware!

Bailey
    Let's Connect on Twitter! @thatsmsgeek2u || Fighting mediocrity one thread at a time.

I would stay with EV1 and just get some new machines with them. Server Matrix's support is lacking.

With as few trouble tickets as you have I would switch to SM save you a couple bucks and network just as nice and support won't be an issue to you obviously. Why waste the money ev1 isnt a bad company but I rank sm right up there with them and why waste the money.

Go with The Planet, their support is great, never had an issue with them, and I have a lot there.

Reboots usualy happen within 10-15 min, and you can also call them at 4am to have them do something.

Most of the tech's are nice enough, if you send them an iso image, they'll burn it, and install whatever you need onto your box, or re-image the box with whatever OS you need.

Originally posted by ChaosHosting
    yeah do not go with ait. my mom had her site on ait and somehow they deleted the whole thing and they couldn't get it back. my reseller account is on a The Planet server and it hasn't been down for more then 1 hour in 6 months.
    Cheap Web Hosting: www.supersweethosting.com
    Website Design - Scripting: www.adrenalinepcs.com

Well, if EV1 could relocate IP's I would say stay there. Then you could make your life easy.

Since they can't, I recommend SM. I know if you catch a reseller and ask, they might just setup port forwarding for you.

We just did that in uprgrading/changing one of our servers. It's a life saver when you have database driven sites. backup restore and bring live in 20 minutes.

The only time I've seen downtime there is when they were moving cabnets. The cabnet my supplier is in, happen to be one of those.

But other than that, I think they went down about a year ago or so when a UPS suddenly quit, and a switch went down. Took them like 10-20 min to fix that, but since then... (not including the cabnet move), I haven't seen any downtime.

Originally posted by SSH-Raj
    yeah do not go with ait. my mom had her site on ait and somehow they deleted the whole thing and they couldn't get it back. my reseller account is on a The Planet server and it hasn't been down for more then 1 hour in 6 months.

never, EVER go with AIT. If you ever hear of problems with Managed, that doesn't come close to comparing with the billing problems that AIT has.

Supposedly I owe them $20,000 for 450GB of transfer (even though they changed my contract mid-month, and when I asked them about it before they charged me, their rep said "don't worry about it, the contract doesn't change until next month").

ANYone is better than AIt

If it aint broke dont fix it.

Stay with EV1.

wow, thanks for all of the replies, I had forgotten how good these forums are!

AIT is out for sure. I think I might get a server w/SM and try them out, keep the other box at EV1 until I see how it goes. Might try a 1and1 too, just for grins. I need to check out plesk 7 first though....
    Mark

Plesk 7 Rules.

You can demo it from a link on SW-Soft.