Hi, am looking for some feedback from anyone who may have used Zope/Plone. If you've used it how satisfied have you been with this combo and how easy was it to customize? If you're willing to share some sample sites that you've used this on, I would be very interested in seeing them.
Forgot to also mention, has anyone use the database connector objects in Zope/Plone to display database objects. I'm considering using this to connect to a Mysql database, so any words of wisdom with regards to this would also be most appreciated.
There are a large number of Products avaiable that does all sorts of things. We used several in our site, including the gallery, wiki and forums.
Since all the elements can be controlled through the DOM interface, it is really easy to customize the presentation of the site as well. We would of spent more time on the site design if not for the tight schedule.
::. www.diginode.net : Dedicated Servers : Virtual Machine Servers .::
::. Industry-Leading Remote Server Management .::
::. Automatic OS Re-image : Instant Server Reboot : Remote Serial Console .::
::. Over 20 OSes to choose from : Install a new OS every day .::
Originally posted by webcentral Hi, am looking for some feedback from anyone who may have used Zope/Plone. If you've used it how satisfied have you been with this combo and how easy was it to customize? If you're willing to share some sample sites that you've used this on, I would be very interested in seeing them.
I've been using Zope/Python for the past 5 years, I'd definitely recommend it. It is not as widespread as other web development plattforms, and in my opinion, is a little bit underrated, here's why I think so:
- Comes with its own webserver (medusa), literally ready to run out of the box
- Python scripts act as "cgi" scripts, without complicated syntax, can have your dynamic pages working in minutes
- Comes with its own storage (ZODB), it is a transactional, ACID compliant database system
- Connectors for virtually all common databases exists, they act as a gateway (API layer) between zope and the database system (Postgres, Oracle, MySQL, even M$SQL (via ODBC))
- ZPT is a technology that allows the programmer to work on the dynamic aspects of the site, while the designer works on the presentation, even at early stages of developing a website, they can both be working at the same time
- Python is extremely easy to learn and read, its syntax allows for most programmers to understand others' code
- Python is an excellent "prototyping" language, meaning its easier to develop applications or "proof-of-concepts" to give to business execs
- Many Zope "Add-Ons" (they call them "Products") are readily available, just uncompress the "Product" in its corresponding folder, restart zope and you have the product available.
There are many more options to describe, the Zope main page in my opinion, is a little bit complicated for the zope "wanna-try", but it is a really simple to use, yet internally somewhat complex system that anyone with modest computer "knowledge" can try.