Win32 Standart Software

Well, I was wondering, Yes yes I know I'm a host and I offer Dedicated Servers but no-one knows it all, right? If you get a Windows Server for Shared Hosting, what software do you have to buy/rent besides of the control panel? The software that isn't included, AFAIK Win32 Servers comes with WFTP, DNS and IIS6...

Thanks,
    Francisco

You will most definitely need an email server and probably a log analyzer as part of a minimum offering.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Originally posted by eddy2099
    You will most definitely need an email server and probably a log analyzer as part of a minimum offering.
    Ah ok, does MS SQL cost extra?
    ^_^

Yes, MS SQL would cost a lot extra. Depending on the license required, it would cost in the higher single-digit thousands to a double-digit thousands.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Actually, there are lease options available and many dedicated server providers offer this.

We are even looking into it.

On average, if you can find a provider offering a lease you could get it for less than $200 a month.

Ouch, I now know why there is almost no-one doing Win32 Hosting

Well, it is possible to offer Windows hosting without MS SQL since those actually needing it would really be big enough to afford it. For the rest of us, we could do with Access or MySQL for Windows.

MS SQL is supposed to be designed for enterprise computing in the area of data mining and data warehousing and the way I see it is that most people using MS SQL on a shared environment is just under-utilizing its full potential.

Most people who choose windows hosting don't do it because of MSSQL.

They choose it because of more robust ASP support, ASP.NET support and items such as this.

Or the simple fact it is on windows instead of linux and they know windows.

I would recommend awstats for log analyser, maybe MySQL put in myODBC, email server free for eg Mailenable Standard, or paid Mailenable Professional or Merak. Controlpanel u can try Hosting Controller, they have a buy or lease scheme.

For control panel I recommend Plesk. 7.0 is coming soon and will fix the issues 6.5 had. You have to expect issues with a first release.

But here are the advantages:

Preinstalls and/or configures:
    IIS
    FrontPage
    PHP
    ASP
    SSI
    MySQL
    MSSQL MSDE Version
    MailEnable Standard
    Perl
    Python.

Basically it sets you up to start right off and saves a lot of time.