Help determine if this is a real order

It seems like I've gotten tons of false orders lately, and I just can't decide what to do with this one. Here are the stats:

Email address - [email protected] (this is a pay address, not free right?)

Ip address resolves back to xxx.rasserver.net - Any idea if this is a netzero server, or a proxy?

They want a new domain registered (a bad sign in my experiance).

The phone number is correct, but I only get the generic (we're not home, leave a message). I may have to breaK down and leave one...

Any thoughts?

Email them, see why it is happening.

If you get no response block their IP/Domain.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

rasserver.net is owned by icg communications. it's an isp in colorado.

what's the address given by the customer?

you could be getting an answering machine response because it's a weekend and the phone your customer gave is an office phone number.

Originally posted by crucialparad
    Email them, see why it is happening.

If you get no response block their IP/Domain.
    it's a weekend. don't be so hasty in blocking ips or domains of isps.

Yes, you should wait for a response.

If you are using a mailing based form for your signup then you could have problems when people hit refresh. We used to have this problem when we were using ordering via an email form.
    Web Hosting

It is sunday, I'm going to wait a little while and call them back I guess. I really don't see any other way to verify this.

BTW - I use whmap for my signups, no email here.

that email address should have been netzero.com - anyone know if they are still free? I know they were at one time.

Seems a bit strange that they would spend so much time putting through so many orders. Maybe they are having problems with payment, and are getting stuck at the payment gateway?
    Web Hosting

Who cares ?? All you can lose is a few bucks for the domain...

crucialparad - these orders are processed by paysystems successfully, in fact paysystems seems more than happy to process orders that are clearly fraud.

taketo - I am not too worried about the domain name fees (although I would not like to rack them up if not needed). I am more worried about chargeback fees and spammers

DSD, we are using PaySystems and have the exact same problem, thats why I was asking about it. I have seen in many cases non-fraudulent orders not go through and very clearly fraudulent orders go through. I had one case where someone tried 10 times with variation to details, and they still processed it.

As a more reliable solution we will be looking into Authorize.net, this way we can validate all orders for fraud.
    Web Hosting

WE use Authorize.net/FraudGuardian.com It isn't perfect but with the ModernBill integration it has cut our Fraud way down.

And, even if it is a lost sale, the good feeling I get letting someone know there card needs to be cancelled and knowing I was able to protect them from future fraud when doing call backs on high fraud score orders is nice.

How does Authorize.net/FraudGuardian.com help? I looked at FraudGuardian.com, and they just appear to raise flags on certain orders. Does it give you any new tools?

Actually, it uses email address, reverse on domain, IP whois, ip trace, credit card bin, etc..

It then sets a fraud score between 0 and 10.

Then in ModernBill (or you can build your own API) you can set limits on how to react to what level fraud score. We have ours set to certain levels of fraud to only authorize the card, not charge and don't create the account so we can verify. Others, when the numbers low enough, we never even see.