Code for detecting the visitor's Internet connection?

I need to add code to a page that will detect the visitor's connection. In other words, when they point to the page, I would like to know if they have 56K dialup or if they have broadband so that I can display the appropriate page. I have seen this done based on your country, your browser, etc., but I'm not sure if it's possible for Internet connection.

Is there such a code?

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Browserhawk can do this very reliably -- along with showing you a whole feast of information about your visitor. For connection speed detection (say that three times fast) you would need to purchase their professional or enterprise editions.

There is also this flash preloader that detects connection speeds (don't know how reliable it is).

And finally, there is javascript speedcheck which seems to be quite reliable (if you have popups blocked, unblock them for it to work).
    In order to understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
    If you feel like it, you can read my blog
    Signal > Noise

Thanks, fyrestrtr. I guess I should have been more specific. I don't really need this for my own site, so buying something to use is not an option. I will be selling a product. I want to offer 2 versions of the product - 56K and broadband. My customer will display the product on his web page, but I want to supply my customer some code that he can put into the page that will direct his visitors to the right product depending on their connection.

I was hoping there would be just some simple code to insert into the <head> of his page to make this work.

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

If this is flash product (I'm guessing, since you are famous for demodemo) you can add some flash code that will detect connection speeds, and make this part of your product.

As far as an immediate solution, that javascript speedcheck (which is open source) could be a viable solution. However, it would require that your client's customers have javascript enabled.

There are other asp, jsp, etc. solutions -- perhaps you can be a bit more specific as to your product that you would like to incorporate detection in?
    Signal > Noise

Sorry, I can't be more specific. It's a brand new product I'm developing for a brand new site and I'd prefer not to let the cat out of the bag, but you're right, it is Flash based.

Vito

I understand completely.

I think you have two options here (depending on your product). You could incorporate a flash connection check (flashkit has a few) or if your product contains any server side component, you could add an apropriate gateway page.

If you just want to give this as an extra option to your customer, as in "if you would like to redirect your users based on connection speed....." then I would suggest adding sample open source code (such as the javascript that I posted) or having someone write a small snippet in PHP/ASP/PERL so that your customer has a few options.

I hope you can get a few ideas from that. Good luck with your new product
    Signal > Noise

Thank you. You have given me some good ideas. Someone at HHO suggested looking at http://twebman.lunarpages.com/js/BandwidthRedirect.htm which looks like it has some definite possibilities.

Vito