Hybrid View

hosting questions

Just wondering, if i am going to purchase new hosting so what question I ask to hosting company and especting answer.

Also how i check they are speaking true

Well, it really depends on what you are looking to host. This questiong is very ambiguous.

When I am looking for hosting, I ask the following type of questions:

1. How long as your company been in business?
    2. Do you have a money back guarantee?
    3. What are the hours for phone support and trouble ticketing?
    4. Has the server been secured? (You'd be surprised how many people answer no.)
    5. Do you have an uptime guarantee on the network?
    6. Is my price frozen for the duration of my contract period?
    7. Is there anything else that you can tell me that would persuade me to purchase your product?

Originally posted by jml3188
    Well, it really depends on what you are looking to host. This questiong is very ambiguous.

When I am looking for hosting, I ask the following type of questions:

1. How long as your company been in business?
    2. Do you have a money back guarantee?
    3. What are the hours for phone support and trouble ticketing?
    4. Has the server been secured? (You'd be surprised how many people answer no.)
    5. Do you have an uptime guarantee on the network?
    6. Is my price frozen for the duration of my contract period?
    7. Is there anything else that you can tell me that would persuade me to purchase your product?
    those are basicly the question you will need to ask, if your looking for some special services like .asp you can ask if they offer it, also which control panel they currently use if any etc..

cheers

and how we can check there server, server speed and all other technical stuff.

Originally posted by eglim
    and how we can check there server, server speed and all other technical stuff.
    you can email the company your interest in for a speed test, they may offer a file to download to test there speed, if they offer live chat you can connect to it and ask all these question before buying, and then selecting from the list of hosts you have.

cheers

Thanks.

As to how you can check, you'd have to ask each host. Ask them for a test IP address that you can ping and tracert, as well as a test file you can download. It's pretty hard to check server speed and so forth.

What I would recommend for you is going with a host, or asking a host, for an account trial. Something like 7 days before they charge you. Many hosts will do this for you, contact their sales department before-hand.

what is ping and tracert?

Hello...

I think almost question was answered at website or FAQ...so the best solution pay $5.00 and see what going on for 1 month..
    MyLabuan Web Design and WordPress Hosting : Shared & Reseller Hosting|VPS Hosting|Email Backup Services|Domain Services
    Join Us : MyLabuan FB

There is no way to know which company the person is looking at. A lot of those questions may not be covered on their website and he was asking what to say. How do you know his hosting will be $5/month. I think your post is clueless.

To answer your question eglim, a ping is what you can do from your computer to basically see how long it will take the information to travel from their server to your computer. If you have a dos prompt, or in Windows XP if you go to Start, Run, CMD, you can typed "ping 00.00.00.00" to check. Of course, you will replace the 00 with the IP address and it is without quotes.

A tracert is to see how many different switches or providers the signal will pass through. You would do the same thing, except replace ping with tracert and it will show you how many "jumps" the signal go through.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by jml3188
    There is no way to know which company the person is looking at. A lot of those questions may not be covered on their website and he was asking what to say. How do you know his hosting will be $5/month. I think your post is clueless.

To answer your question eglim, a ping is what you can do from your computer to basically see how long it will take the information to travel from their server to your computer. If you have a dos prompt, or in Windows XP if you go to Start, Run, CMD, you can typed "ping 00.00.00.00" to check. Of course, you will replace the 00 with the IP address and it is without quotes.

A tracert is to see how many different switches or providers the signal will pass through. You would do the same thing, except replace ping with tracert and it will show you how many "jumps" the signal go through.

Hope this helps.
    correct and if your running linux or have a shell (which i dont think so)

do can issue these commands in the terminal

# ping -c 5 0.0.0.0

and

# traceroute 0.0.0.0

replacing the 0.0.0.0 with the ip address

take care..

cheers

Oh, a linux person. Hehe. I really doubt the guy is on a Linux box because you would have to have some sort of tech knowledge in that case.

Anywho, good luck eglim.

i got following information when i run ping command with there giving ip. Can any one tell me what is this.

Pinging xx.xx.xxx.xx with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
    Reply from xx.xx.xxx.xx: bytes=32 time=305ms TTL=42
    Reply from xx.xx.xxx.xx: bytes=32 time=303ms TTL=42
    Reply from xx.xx.xxx.xx: bytes=32 time=305ms TTL=42

Ping statistics for xx.xx.xxx.xx:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 303ms, Maximum = 305ms, Average = 304ms

Where are you located?

If the server was in the U.S. and you are as well, I would stongly urge you to pick another hosting company. Anything above 50ms, I strongly urge against, so 305ms is very bad. However, if you are located in another country, that would probably be normal.

300+ ms not very good, even Singapore to USA, about 200ms.

Originally posted by boonchuan
    300+ ms not very good, even Singapore to USA, about 200ms.
    Still not understand. Can you explain ping result. So next time I can check my self.

Ask them to atleast supply one review from a place like WHT. Or just do a search for a review on WHT.

no i mean like what is 200ms etc. etc.

200ms (milliseconds) is how long it takes for the information to be passed from the server (in America I assume) to your computer (in another country).

and what about all other information in ping