Got Offer To Move To America

Hello all,

I been offered a chance to start a new life in America. I will be working in New Jersey but unsure of where in NJ yet. I was just wondering is it worth going there as im still only 18 and have years left of my studies. The only thing is this offer wont come along again and if i dont take it i could be left to regret it.

Also how is the lifestyle in New Jersey/America when compared to the uk. I been living here my whole life and i have come from an asian background due to my mother. I just be crossing over to america without any friends or family, so its a tough decision.

I am hoping to stay a year intially, the work permit etc aint a problem as that has been resolved but after that year il have an option of staying longer.

What you think, is it worth going at a young age, some advice would be great

Thanks
    If you love soccer then check it out here

http://www.talksoccer.net/forum
    http://www.talksoccer.net

I have lived in NJ before among some other states. You have to realize that the lifestyle in america is a lot less relaxed than the U.K. For example, healthcare must be provided by you since it is not provided by the government. Education costs significantly more in the states than in the u.k.

I would say if you are in the process of being educated (i.e. getting a degree), you should stay in the u.k. at least until you have finished school. At that point, you may want to entertain moving (though I would recommend getting some work experience first if you can).

If you get an education, you can move any time you want to pretty much any country.

As for NJ: it is generally a nice place. There is a large variance in cost of living from places that are quite cheap and less livable, to places where housing starts at about 400k (closer to New York, Tenafly for example). It is fantastic to live close the NYC as well as being a 4-5 hour drive away from places like philadelphia and washington d.c.

If you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

I agree with cord, finish your education this job may not last forever. At least you will have something to fall back on if you have some qualifications.

I disagree. Being from Europe (Italy), America's lifestyle is much more fast pace. Everyone is always in a hurry to get wherever they are going, the living expenses are higher, health care is expensive, gas is expensive, vacation time is limited.

Gas is expensive? We have some of the lowest cost gas (atleast in N & S america, and Western Europe) in all the world, if you want to talk expensive, france nearly has to pay what would be the equivelent of $4.00 per gallon. I also highly doubt living expenses are much higher, if at all. We have many places to live, which if you have a stable job should not be hard to pay for, and many employers pay for nearly all health care.

Its the toughest decision in my life so far. I could look back in years and really regret it but then if i do go and i mess up, then i may have nothing to fall back. I can always come back to the uk and find a job, but im still uncertain what i should do.

The advice above has been really good and il have to keep my options opened.

Since this opportunity may be your one lifetime oppurtunity, I would say give it a shot, experience it yourself and then judge afterwards.

Will......I'm an American and I don't think you should come to live in NJ. Out of all the places I could live in America New Jersey would be my second to last pick behind California.

Stay in the UK, live a better life. We work more here, and have a faster pace life style.

Originally posted by Hosemeyer
    Gas is expensive? We have some of the lowest cost gas (atleast in N & S america, and Western Europe) in all the world, if you want to talk expensive, france nearly has to pay what would be the equivelent of $4.00 per gallon. I also highly doubt living expenses are much higher, if at all. We have many places to live, which if you have a stable job should not be hard to pay for, and many employers pay for nearly all health care.
    Yes their gas is expensive, but I feel we do more driving in the U.S. than I did in Europe, adding to the cost of the living expenses.

Will

Originally posted by will_stevens
    Its the toughest decision in my life so far. I could look back in years and really regret it but then if i do go and i mess up, then i may have nothing to fall back. I can always come back to the uk and find a job, but im still uncertain what i should do.

The advice above has been really good and il have to keep my options opened.
    It really depends on the opportunity being offered. If it is with a top rate employer and includes educational support, that is one thing. However, if it is something which may be suspect, could be shortlived, or would not insure you continue your education, then it is quite another. If you would like to communicate more details privately feel free to do so as I have been involved in such situations in the past and will be glad to advise or at least point out the potential negatives and risks.

If you want to live a life more similar to the life you live now, try to move to some area in the south. People are generally nicer down there as well as less complicated compared to lets say a New York lifestyle. But most times the money is up in the North, so you have to weigh your options.

Depends on where you live. You can use any description to describe life in America. It will be both wrong and right. Depends on what area of the country you describe. Some parts of the country are more fast paced than others, and it depends on if you live in a very large city or a smaller area. I would think somewhere like New Jersey would be more of a shock to the senses than others, I'd think it would be fast paced.
    Apexware Hosting Solutions
    www.apexware.com
    LOW Cost Budget Hosting
    www.rockbottomhosting.com

I love America, and I plan on living here for a loooooonnnnnggg time. However I am only 14, so I probably can't give you a very reliable opinion on whether you should move or stay, as I have not had to deal with it. But I can imagine how big the decision is! Good luck, and I'm positive whatever you choose will work out just fine.

You might regret it if you try it and fail, but you will definetly regret it if you don't try it, and wonder what could have been.

I live in the US now, I really couldn't move to NJ, I am used to my southern lifestyle which IS laid back, very laid back. I could not live that NY/NJ lifestyle of going here and there at such a fast pace. Even Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/Miami are slow compared to anything up in NY/NJ area. And there are some great paying jobs down here too.

Talking

I would say go for it and try it out as you mentioned it's once in a lifetime but believe me there will be many more opportunities ahead and don't worry about it and use your intuition, it's your life and look at BILL GATES a dropout from college and now the richest man in the world.

Fate plays havoc some times and fate will also decide your life whether good or bad. Well for example if you believe in fate, you will be supprised that your future wife has already been decided for you and you may meet her one day as fate would have it. same as everything we do, it will have an effect on our lives and fate and where we will end up.

I am not a fortune teller but I believe in fate.

Regards
    Last edited by cactus; 05-30-2004 at 02:06 PM.
    WHO AM I? CLICK HERE!

Don't do it dude, this place is going to the dogs

Originally posted by bow-viper1
    You might regret it if you try it and fail, but you will definetly regret it if you don't try it, and wonder what could have been.
    g.
    "In youth we learn; in age we understand"
    Marie Von Ebner-Eschenbach

Do it - do it - do it. You'll regret not doing it *much* more than doing it. Can you not take a year out of college and do a year away? That opens lots of options as the year goes by.

Everyone of your age should live and work in another country for at least a year - it really makes you understand people a lot more.

You can *always* go back to the UK if you don't like it here, you're still young! the opposite is not always possible, is it?

A company that (is big enough to) sponsor(s) your stay in the U.S. to work for them should be a big enough company to take care of your insurance and housing cost. Moreover, most big companies will pay for you to go to school when you work for them.

I've stayed in the U.S. for 3 years, spent couple weeks in Europe (vacation) and believe in general America is a much better place to live and succeed if you're willing to work hard.

Not sure about the UK but it pisses me off when I have to pay to go to the rest room in France or Italy...
    ML

What you mean by this? I thought you didn't live in America? How would you know if America is going to the "dogs"?

Originally posted by timechange.com
    I am back....

This all has been really helpful and thanks really for it. Just another question anymore information on the new jersey lifestyle, i maybe living near Franklin New Jersey. Im a inside city boy, i cant stand the countryside so what you reckon of the area?

I wouldent consider it countryside at all really, its not really busy city either, heres a map to check out

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...J& country=US

Ah thanks mate the map seems really useful, could consider living in somewhere like montclair or nutley even.

Will,

How I see it is you only got one life. You want to live it all you can correct? You cant do much if you dont take chances in life, and this is one of them. Only you can decide if you want to go some where, but what if you do not take it? You could miss out of alot of stuff. You could also regret it later on in life.
    I am back....

Originally posted by will_stevens
    This all has been really helpful and thanks really for it. Just another question anymore information on the new jersey lifestyle, i maybe living near Franklin New Jersey. Im a inside city boy, i cant stand the countryside so what you reckon of the area?
    It's pretty much suburban, but far enough out that some of it isn't as congested as a lot of the NYC suburbs. In that area you're getting into some rolling hills and stuff; there are some pretty nice areas -- while I'm not really familiar with Franklin.

To me, being out there would be a little too far from the City, unless you lived a little bit away from Frankin, somewhere where you have an easy trip in by train. If you're a city boy and 18, and living anywhere around here, you're going to want to spend a lot of time in Manhattan even if you are living and working in the sticks in Jersey.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

HI,

I live in New Jersey, its a great area. The beaches are amazing and its not far away from New York. Some areas I recommend are Momouth County, expensive area though houses cost 400,000 plus some area such as Rumson and Colts Neck are in the millions. I live in Colts Neck right now its a really great area. Its only about 20 min from the beach. If you need someone to learn a bit more about NJ my email is juliuspage132 [at] aol.com can give you a bit more details.

Yeah the south is easier but it's really slow and jobs pay crap down here. I was born in Chicago and that place is all about working hard your whole life, kids with rich cars, and people constantly in a hurry. Citys are known as melting pots so generally a lot of racism breaks out. I moved to Florida on the panhandle which is called the redneck revere and well although jobs don't pay as much people are much nicer, and actually talk with you. They also aren't in such a hurry. Everytime I talk they say slow down because I'm still a yankee by heart
    Nationhosts, LLC
    http://www.nationhosts.com
    "Nationwide hosting solutions"

Originally posted by timechange.com
    Testing 1.. Testing 1..2.. Testing 1..2..3...

Originally posted by NationHosts
    Yeah the south is easier but it's really slow and jobs pay crap down here. I was born in Chicago and that place is all about working hard your whole life, kids with rich cars, and people constantly in a hurry. Citys are known as melting pots so generally a lot of racism breaks out. I moved to Florida on the panhandle which is called the redneck revere and well although jobs don't pay as much people are much nicer, and actually talk with you. They also aren't in such a hurry. Everytime I talk they say slow down because I'm still a yankee by heart
    Thats a shame really about the racism, if i had a chance to move to south i would but i cant seem to find a job which another american can do so i think thats out the question.

Il be down in the north for at least a few years and then in time i will probably move if i stay in the us for that long.

Not all North States are bad just some citys within the states. Like where I live (Montana) people are real friendly. Though if you go to a bigger city where I live then it is friendly just not as friendly.
    I am back....

Too far from the City? On the map it looks like that place is 20-25 miles from Manhattan..looks pretty close to me! Course, where I'm from it takes awhile to get anywhere. I'm almost 4 hours from Dallas and that's close to me.
    www.apexware.com
    LOW Cost Budget Hosting

I just cant stand living in a countryside area, i just find life too busy. I need to be in a place where i can get things quick and new jersey sounds good. Maybe in a few years i may decide to head south and relax.

Remember you can head south and still get anything you'd want quick, just need to live in a city like anywhere else in the world.
    www.apexware.com
    LOW Cost Budget Hosting

Originally posted by APEXware
    Too far from the City? On the map it looks like that place is 20-25 miles from Manhattan..looks pretty close to me!
    53.9 miles from Manhattan, according to this page, which also has some good background information on Franklin.

And besides being over 50 miles from Manhattan, as I mentioned it's not on the NJ Transit train lines. I'd assume that if he moved there from overseas he wouldn't have a car at least for a while, so public transportation would be helpful and probably the only way to get to NYC. Most likely it could be done by bus, but I don't really know much about the bus lines in Jersey.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.