Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Probably best you find out the time zones each party was in, before making such comments in a public forum.
    Bob, you insinuated that somehow my simple comment about not calling at 1 o'clock in the morning, was something wrong, and more serious than it was.

>> "making such comments in a public forum" <<

What the heck was that about? >> "such comments" << >> "in a public forum"<< ??

You do this type of stuff to people all the time, and have even taking a few jabs at me personally in the past. They are always well concealed, but still obvious. So yes, I did jab back this time, but it was all in good fun. I'm sorry that it upset you. I apologize. I'm not perfect. I made a mistake.

Now back to the topic.....

The point was, that (unlike you) we did know the time zones in this situation, but that's not the most important point. The most important point is that it's the responsibility of the company to know the time zones of the people they are calling. That's simple fact and common sense.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Gen-T
    . . . What the heck was that about? >> "such comments" << >> "in a public forum"<< ??

You did not not know the timezones of the 2 party's represented. You assumed that they were both in the same timezone. I suggested that you should check the time zones of both party's represented, before making comments/passing judgement.
    I'm sorry that it upset you. I apologize. I'm not perfect. I made a mistake.

You didn't upset me. You made personal OT insults and made yourself look extremely foolish. Apology accepted.
    The point was, that (unlike you) we did know the time zones in this situation

Really? Show me exactly where the 2 party's involved here revealed their exact time zones, in the posts above my original post. I reread the posts above my first post, and nowhere does tgo149 reveal his time zone.
    . . . but that's not the most important point. The most important point is that it's the responsibility of the company to know the time zones of the people they are calling. That's simple fact and common sense.
    I think lumbyjj made some good points with -
    Originally posted by lumbyjj
    While I agree that they shouldn't have placed the call at 0120, I would have to say that the amount involved, $530 more than likely played a large part in the decision. There were two possibilities as I see them.

a.) You were up and would answer quickly to verify the order since it was a larger order.

b.) It was a fraud, and someone had stolen your credit card information and used it to make a large purchase, which, if acted upon quickly, could have been closed without it being charged to your card and saved you time and money.. I personally would be thankful that the company was looking out for me since I know that the majority of people in Arizona (if I remember your post correctly) don't go and buy large orders in the middle of the night.

This is my personal opinon of course and the logic that I see in it..

Not everything is black and white, and according to your understanding.

[edit] fixed typo
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up
      0 Not allowed!

*Gen-T sends AussieBob some beer and pretzels to make friends*
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ldcdc
    I expected things about expensive cars and beautiful women... I was so disappointed.
    hehe. Funny how you expected expensive cars and beautiful women, while I expected tips on making curtains.

I gotta get out more.
      0 Not allowed!

My interpretation of the words "livingwithstyle" might be somewhat skewed because english is not my mother tongue. Or it might be that my mind is a bit skewed as well..
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Gen-T
    I'm surprised somebody who claims to be such a great businessman would make such a glaring oversight. Then again, maybe your mind is a bit busy with trying to defend the mistakes made by your guys regarding that big data center move information leak, or perhaps you are still thinking about the gay marriage issue you are so strongly against in the lounge.
    Please don't speculate when you don't know the facts of what happened. We did not make mistakes.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy
      0 Not allowed!

I just spoke with Brent trying to figure out why he called and his response was:

"I could have called him a few minutes after he placed his order and was 100% sure he was awake as I did, or I could have called him tomorrow at a "reasonable time" when I know he would have been sleeping. Also considering many people do work during the night and sleep during the day it seemed like the better decision to call while I knew he wasn't sleeping especially before charging his card $550."
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...
      0 Not allowed!

ldcdc nailed it with the call being made within 5 minutes of the order being placed. I think that is the most relevant bit concerning the time of the phone call.

On the iceishot site it very clearly states that the coupon is for one month of free hosting. It also strikes me as quite odd that the thread starter is taking screen shots of transaction screens. Then according to Brent at Hostgator when the call is made the first words out of his mouth are about taping the call and posting at WHT?

Sorry folks but this looks to me like the thread starter manipulated this from the outset. I think he saw the coupon and tried to take advantage of a glitch with the ModernBill coupon redemption feature. When the order didn't go through and was corrected by the Hostgator staff he further tried to force them to provide a year's worth of hosting and a couple domains for free or face this thread.
      0 Not allowed!

I agree wiht Watcher_TVI on this one.
      0 Not allowed!

Really? Show me exactly where the 2 party's involved here revealed their exact time zones, in the posts above my original post. I reread the posts above my first post, and nowhere does tgo149 reveal his time zone.
    Since you're not from the United States Bob, you WOULDN'T know our 'exact' time zones... But I can guarantee you that everyone knows (or at least people working for a professional company, that have to handle sales calls all the time) what the time difference is between Arizona and Florida. Besides, had it been the same time in both places, I still would not make a sales call at 10:00 PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Perhaps calling at 1:30 in the morning was not the best thing to do (though 5-10 minutes after registering, this sounds much more reasonable). But Brian's intentions were to make sure no one got ripped off, and with all of the horror stories concerning fly-by-night scam hosts, I would be grateful he cared enough to call, not just take your money and make you fight him for it. I recently started reselling HostGator. I've been very happy with their service, the server up-time is satisfactory and the speed is just smoking. Hearing this story, I'm happier than ever I chose them.

If what Brian did was wrong, at least he did it with your best interests in mind. This has to be worth something, right? If you want to punish him for this, choose another provider. Me? I'm sticking with the guy who will go the extra mile for me.

Paul H
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by tgo149
    Here is the screenshot my friend got that shows very clearly this coupon was for a BILLING CYCLE unlike what is being claimed here by HostGator.

http://livingwithstyle.com/images/free.png
    The reason you took that screenshot at all is because you knew that the coupon was for a free month (the banner graphic makes that obvious); you signed up for a year and noticed that their billing system didn't handle the order properly, and so you decided to scam them, right?
    - Tomas
      0 Not allowed!

I agree with the_pm brian was trying to make sure that you understood what was going to happen before ringing up $500++ dollars on your credit card....yeah he should have emailed you about it soo this fuss won't start.....but you got to see that he called almost as fast as he could if the time stated is correct then its 5mins.....or 10 still its pretty fast you got give the guy some credit...

Hope everybody learns something for better out of all of this and move on to bigger and better things...

Good Luck
      0 Not allowed!

I personally can't find any fault with Host Gator as the time he called was in close proximity with the time that you signed up, and it does look like you knew it was only for a month and yet you tried to get a free year out of it. This sounds like you just trying to rip him off, he was not being unprofessional, on the contrary, he was being VERY professional and if it had been a fraud, then I bet you would really be thanking him no matter what time of night it was. I can't believe someone would be so brazen as to try this and post it on a public forum!

My .02
    James Lumby
      0 Not allowed!

I find Host Gator innocent regardless of the timing in which a phone call was made. Weak argument.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Since you're not from the United States Bob, you WOULDN'T know our 'exact' time zones... But I can guarantee you that everyone knows (or at least people working for a professional company, that have to handle sales calls all the time) what the time difference is between Arizona and Florida. Besides, had it been the same time in both places, I still would not make a sales call at 10:00 PM.
    Above my first post in this thread, where did the tgo149 reveal his time zone?
      0 Not allowed!

I would still recommend hostgator to anyone reading this thread.
      0 Not allowed!

Yet another example of automation gone wrong?
      0 Not allowed!

Above my first post in this thread, where did the tgo149 reveal his time zone?
    561 is Florida. I am in Arizona which Hostgator knew from my account information. They knew EXACTLY what they were doing.
      0 Not allowed!

thats right below his first post.
    yep.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by hasged
    thats right below his first post.
    Correct. The time zone information was not revealed until AFTER my first post in this thread. Prior to that, folks were just assuming they were both operating in the same time zone, as no information was provided in the first few posts, that mentioned time zones etc.

Anyhooo, time zones aside, I think they did the right thing to call minutes after an order of that size ($530.00 - that's another dispute) was made.
      0 Not allowed!

I really wish people would stop using the boards as their own private little debate forum. Matters such as this need to be handled in private not in a public forum. You both need to grow up now let's all move on. Was he right to make the call? . If you ordered hosting at that time it would be logical to assume someone would be awake 5 minutes after the order was placed.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    . . . Sorry folks but this looks to me like the thread starter manipulated this from the outset. I think he saw the coupon and tried to take advantage of a glitch with the ModernBill coupon redemption feature. When the order didn't go through and was corrected by the Hostgator staff he further tried to force them to provide a year's worth of hosting and a couple domains for free or face this thread.
    Yes, I agree completely. It's clear that tgo149 thought he found a loophole, using that voucher to get a year's free hosting, rather than 1mth's free hosting. tgo149 took a screenshot and was ever quick to start taping their conversation and make a mad rush to post this WHT thread. Spend a few minutes reading tgo149's site, and you'll get the drift.

I bet this whole incident is soon posted up on his site, as "Exposing the lies of HostGater" . . . blah blah blah. Just make sure tgo149 posts a link back to this thread, so folks can get a balanced perspective.

Threads like this are amazing for a host's business. I wouldn't be surprised if Hostgater has done some serious business, as the result of this thread. Maybe they should send some commission the way of tgo149, or even some free hosting as a thank you?
    Last edited by Aussie Bob; 05-31-2004 at 01:22 AM.
      0 Not allowed!

Man, I knew this thread was going to get HEATED!!!
      0 Not allowed!

Correct. The time zone information was not revealed until AFTER my first post in this thread. Prior to that, folks were just assuming they were both operating in the same time zone, as no information was provided in the first few posts, that mentioned time zones etc.
    Sorry, I failed to notice this.

Man, I knew this thread was going to get HEATED!!!
    All threads that begin like this do
      0 Not allowed!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast