Best way to attract guests

I am building a site based on pop culture discussion it's going to be powered by VB, I was wondering how is a good way to draw guests to my forum? and actually keep them interested?

Thanks

Advertising will help
    Having alot of good regular posting members that post informative stuff and not flame

Whats a good way to advertise that sort of site?

_
    Banner ads most likely...link exchanges perhaps?...
    Logo Design Vector Conversion Print
    eagleimagery.co.uk
    UK Business Labs Forum - The chemistry in B2B

Quote Originally Posted by dmogg
    I was wondering how is a good way to draw guests to my forum? and actually keep them interested?
    Have content/discussions that are interesting, lively and unique. Easier said than done, but isn't everything?
    Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right.
    Dive In...

Thanks!

I know banner exchanges are good but what kinda sites should I banned exhange with?

basically anything that is worth exchanging, imo. sites that in/directly related to your site helps alot.

draw guests to my forum
    Offer something free? An Amazon gift voucher or something to buy CDs, etc, for regular posters.

actually keep them interested?
    Generate lots of content, in your case, more posts and discussions from visitors.
    ++++++++
    Providing free cPanel web hosting for over 2 years to community of webmasters
    An independent Burst.net Review

Getting a high position on the major search engines usually helps. Also, you should exchange links with other sites that are similar. Try to get some of your friends to start posting on your forums on a regular basis. That will encourage more people to sign up as well.

I would definitely add more topics to the forum. Don't let a couple days pass without any new topics otherwise people will lose interest. Eventually it should build up to be where most people come to your site.
    Andrew - Aparix Hosting
    Aparix.com
    E-Mail: [email protected]
    AIM: AparixAndrew

Originally posted by jtrageser
    Try to get some of your friends to start posting on your forums on a regular basis. That will encourage more people to sign up as well.
    Yes, do that.

I do not advertise my forum at all or push it too much on other forums (I rather like slow growth ), but my members often speak about belonging to << forum name >> when they are on other message boards which brings guests by. My entire forum was built on word of mouth and continues to grow... albeit slowly.

I believe the key to keeping people interested is creating interesting forums/threads and not getting bunched up over members belonging to other communities... I know some communities do not look upon their members being elsewhere kindly, block the mention of the community on their forums, and actually ban people for mentioning them in threads... As long as it's not intentional spamming by a newbie, I do not get involved because I think it is useless to even think you can prevent people from visiting other forums. Building a level of trust with your members will ensure them coming back and feeling comfortable on your forum.

<< forum name >> is also subscription based for people who wish to keep journals, but keep most of the general forum open to registered members. It also pays the server bills every month.

Good luck with your forum!

<< removed >>
    Last edited by writespeak; 05-26-2006 at 05:17 PM.

The way I've found most forums I became active in was through links in the owners' signatures when they post at other forums. Talk a lot on other forums, become well known and respected for your useful posts, and people will check out your site.
    Dan Grossman - dan @ awio.com
    My Blog | Affiliate Program for Web Hosts