Choosing a Router for 100Mb Fiber link

Hi there...

I am having a 100Mb fiber line installed into my office in the near future and am trying to find the best router for the job. I plan to also have a backup 30Mb line installed in the near future.

The provider suggested the Cisco 3662 but I am not sure if this is what I really need...I am using the line for web servers only.

Any suggestions?

Boston, MA
    Juniper M20, I love Junipers right now have a Juniper M40 running 4xGIG for the backbone of our network infrastructure.

Really Depends on budget and the FULL capacity you will reach in the next year or two.
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation and Dedicated Servers

What sort of price are they? What sort of throughput can they handle?

I was also thinking about a Cisco 7200..

Bummer...looks like they dont have Junipers in japan..

Georgia, USA
    I'm also looking for some information. We are going to have a 45 mb line installed to run a few IRCX servers, what are your thoughts on how to setup this network?

Pittsburgh, PA
    Originally posted by jmfrisch
    Bummer...looks like they dont have Junipers in japan..
    Umm, sure they do.
    And there's a regional sales office in Shinjuku.

A Juniper is probably overkill for 100Mbps - and to answer your questions, almost everything in a Juniper can run at line-rate under almost any conditions, even with filters enabled. It's usually not the same way with Cisco, which means it's really a pleasant surprise when you change camps.

Still, for a 100Mbps connection, which I assume will be handed to you on Fast Ethernet (twisted pair), get a Cisco 7204 with the appropriate modules.

Or get the Juniper M5 or M10 if your budget allows. You can't go wrong!

>Fast Ethernet (twisted pair)

Not sure...thats not fiber is it? I really need to get a network guru...

For arguments sake, why wouldnt I use a Linux Router?

Check out Zebra/Quagga.

Get a couple of low-end P4 boxes, and run VRRP between them, so if one dies you still have a network. For NICs, some of the higher-end Intel would be recommended, avoid the SOHO stuff.

Provided that you arent needing to use a ton of traffic filtering rules this setup will be more than sufficient for a 100 meg line.

Ask yourself first.. what do I need a router for?

Are you going to use BGP or other route protocols? If not.. I dont think you need a router. What is the purpose? You can use a linux machine to provide failover service, if thats all you need, rather than running routing software.

I guess I would have to know more what your goals are.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Do you mean I may be able to run a L3 switch instead?

I do need "routing" as such as I will have multiple machines connected to the one (or two) backbones. What I use in term of protocols is still up the air..

The primary aim of this is to move about 20 servers that I am renting to my local premises..I plan to add more 100Mb lines as they become necessary.

OpenBSD would also do the job.

As far as I can tell, Zebra/Quagga run on OpenBSD, linux etc etc

Yes it does.

Choose the platform you are most comfortable with. I have heard that BSD is better for this than linux, but later tests comparing kernel 2.6 verses latest freebsd seems fairly similar.

OpenBSD has the security reputation of course.

To be perfectly honest, if ALL you need to do is divide up a 100 meg line you dont even need an L3 switch, any L2 will do.

If you need to cap speed per port, monitor (pull stats) via snmp, or any of that jazz the Cisco 2950 is a nice switch.

Sounds like you should start with a switch that has the features you need. As you add backbones, you may get into routing protocols and need a router, but for now I dont think thats what you need. You can always find a use for a 24-port switch later on.

Thats the path I took anyway
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

Thanks for all the info.

According to the provider, I do need either a L3 switch or a router...exactly why, I dont really know. I get about 32 IPs with the line..

I have used Redhat as a router before so am pretty familiar there.

I guess my main question now is, why wouldnt I need a router? For security reasons I will no doubt need some sort of packet filter.

I now know why I cant use a L2 switch...Softbank in japan has created a 120Gb Backbone using the elec. companies fiber network using L3 switches..the exact details I do not know, but it is the largest backbone in japan, for about 1/10 of the price of regular providers. A OC3 in japan is like $30k+/mth.. I don't know what the prices are in the US, but this seems a little heafty..

Actually for a low-end solution, look at a refurbished cisco... could be a good bargain for the buck:

if only I knew what modules I needed ...

Pittsburgh, PA
    Your Internet provider should be able to help you. They have to tell you what kind of connection you're getting.