ServerMatrix vs EV1: Which one is the best ?

For a dedicated server, of course...

Both offer the same features at about the same price. SO where to go ?!

Thanks for your recommendation!

M

For support I would highly recommend Ev1 Servers. Overall SM is the best on it's field but I have heard of some support issues and some weird disconnections because of a spammer or something.

Both are great providers, only that ev1 has Instant setup (Source of) and ev1 has a solid network and almost everyone knows Ev1.

Since I have never had a EV1 server I can't really comment on the "vs". But SM/The Planet have been an awesome company to work with.

I'd go with ServerMatrix. In the future for growth, ServerMatrix is much better. Ev1Servers will not do customization of things for you to suit what fits you best. I've been a customer of The Planet/SM for about 6 months and have to say I love just about everything (can't love EVERYTHING about EVERYONE can ya?)

I'd go with SM
    hm what should I put in my sig?

I'd go ServerMatrix, whenever I have dealth with them I have had response within 15mins.

SM is tons better than ev1 (was a customer there for 2yrs), especially if your site grows like RT said and u need your own little network - SM doesn't charge for any "private racks" etc. they might even give you the switch for free if you have a certain # of boxes there.
    OK their support suxx but you should know what you are doing anyways and if you call them they usually fix everything right away and a handful of their staff are excellent and you'll learn to know them sooner or later

I would recommend EV1servers.net. The support is a lot faster than the support of ServerMatrix and usually you'll get basic issues resolved first time you post rather than having to go back and forth several times as I have experienced with ServerMatrix. I have also heard of other problems with ServerMatrix, packet loss, etc. The only complaint I have about EV1servers is that they are very quick to pull a box if they get a report of spam/abuse/etc., and do not contact you until after this, but hey you are paying $99-$499 for a dedicated server with 1TB-10Mbit transfer, like REAL cheap, what can you expect but for them to take maximum security measures?

i would go for SM..

ServerMatrix

As a person with 27 servers with Server Matrix and having used 4 other companies, including EV1, I recommend Server Matrix.

Thier solutions are good. I have only had one problematic server and that server just flat had a poltergiest. We ended up replacing it because no one, not even people I know with 10+ years Linux admin experience, could locate the problem. When we did replace the box they actually offered to repoint the IP addresses for us. Although with the way most CP's work it wouldn't have helped as it was only a temporary re-routing of the IP's. But the gesture was nice.

As for the rumors of spam getting servers disconnected, I believe there is more to this than what is being told. 27 servers and I know for fact if there was a problem I would get a phone call before they disconnected a single on of our servers.

In regards to support, I won't deny that occasionaly they are a little slow, but unlike my experience with EV1, SM techs know what they are doing.

Two EV1 techs didn't know what up2date was at one point. Taking 30+ hours to configure up2date on RHE is unnaceptable to me.

There were other issues I had with EV1 support also.

As for the other two companies I have had servers with. One I left due to price. They were just way over priced and when we first started I didn't really realize it. The other one was managed. I left them because the value wasn't there. With SM I can pick up a phone 24x7. If I need a server rebooted it's done with a phone call or a ticket and I know someone is there. I never required a reboot from managed, but knowing I couldn't call someone 24x7 bothered me with the quantity of servers we have.

Thanks,

ddihosting: very interesting review... I agree that they have some very competent people.
    can you provide feedback on how good/far they follow 'escalation procedures'?
    I am wondering if it'd be possible to define a escalation procedure like:
    - if disk /dev/sdx on server n breaks: replace and run /sbin/fix_crash.sh (and wait for a "system reinstall=OK" message) etc.

their monitoring and 'escalation procedure' is one of the things I really love - so far they were very quick (<10min avg) in fixing/rebooting/fscking servers

Actually, they love escalation procedures like that.

The more defined they are the better the results.

If you put time frames, etc.. in those get followed well also.

I have had servers with both companies for over a year.

In regards to support, All I can say is both company's first line technicians are dumb. The difference between the two is ServerMatrix's "managers" are dumb as well, whereas EV1Servers has some excellent upper management making for better overall support. I constantly find myself on hold for 30 minutes+ with ServerMatrix as well.

I think I have called EV1servers maybe 3 times in 3 years for phone support, simply because their helpdesk support is very fast . I only call ServerMatrix after discovering my issues being ignored for hours to days to even weeks sometimes!

Network wise, ServerMatrix generally has lower pings by 20-30 ms from my location, however, in the 1 year we had a server with servermatrix, there were 3 power outages to the machine. We have been with EV1 and had 6 machines with them over the past 3 years and have had no power problems at all.

When speaking about value, ServerMatrix is supposedly "managed", however the management is lacking. OS restores take 3 days sometimes. Investigation requests take just as long.

Now the ironic thing is EV1servers does not market themself as a managed company, however, I see a lot more management tasks from them than I do from ServerMatrix.

The even more ironic thing is I find myself ordering a second server from servermatrix today. But only because my client made a request to go with them.

So overall, I recommend EV1servers over ServerMatrix.

Hope this helps!

Originally posted by Rob_AcuNett
    I have had servers with both companies for over a year.

In regards to support, All I can say is both company's first line technicians are dumb. The difference between the two is ServerMatrix's "managers" are dumb as well, whereas EV1Servers has some excellent upper management making for better overall support. I constantly find myself on hold for 30 minutes+ with ServerMatrix as well.

This I completely disagree with. They are 100 fold better than any experience I had with EV1. I think this comes down to timing and opinion.

I think I have called EV1servers maybe 3 times in 3 years for phone support, simply because their helpdesk support is very fast . I only call ServerMatrix after discovering my issues being ignored for hours to days to even weeks sometimes!
    Same as above goes here.
    Network wise, ServerMatrix generally has lower pings by 20-30 ms from my location, however, in the 1 year we had a server with servermatrix, there were 3 power outages to the machine. We have been with EV1 and had 6 machines with them over the past 3 years and have had no power problems at all.
    Have yet to have a server go down over anything normal. 27 servers and only 1 has had any issues. These were unrelated to power and unrelated to anything but the server itself.

When speaking about value, ServerMatrix is supposedly "managed", however the management is lacking. OS restores take 3 days sometimes. Investigation requests take just as long.
    IMHO Bad Luck

Now the ironic thing is EV1servers does not market themself as a managed company, however, I see a lot more management tasks from them than I do from ServerMatrix.

The even more ironic thing is I find myself ordering a second server from servermatrix today. But only because my client made a request to go with them.

So overall, I recommend EV1servers over ServerMatrix.

Hope this helps!
    When we had servers with EV1 99% of our questions were returned "We are sorry, but that is your responsability.". We even had some questions regarding hardware issues that after four go rounds they finally realized, hey this is our responsability.

Now. EV1 might have a rapid restore. What good is it if the server comes up and you can't use up2date on RHE? Or what good is it if the server comes up missing standard RPM's?

I think this was just straight bad luck not SM imparticular.

Maybe some bad luck on my part, but my company also manages about 70-80 servers which are in servermatrix. Many of the clients have the same bad luck we do with them. :/

I would recommend ServerMatrix.

I demand a lot from a Server Provider as my reputation depends on it.

Forget there reputation, as mine is what is important to me.

If I had the kind of bad luck you have I would no longer be with server matrix and I would definitely not be ordering more servers.

I'm sorry to here you have had such bad luck.

All of our servers we currently have run well. We had to get rid of 1 out 27 and that was not a server matrix problem. That was an issue with a literal poltergiest. And don't let anyone tell you they don't exist in computers, they do. Spent a lot of money having other people look into a problem no one couldn't find, and even they couldn't. Finally gave up and relocated everything to a new server. Haven't had a single problem since with the replacement server.

As for our other 26, on has been up close to 60 days without a reboot. Others have been up shorter because of various updates to software, etc...

EV1 has great support. They go above and beyond for all of their clients. If your looking for a company that will support you 24 / 7 then they are the way to go!
    data center directory - The comprehensive data center resource. Version 2.0 coming soon!

I've never heard of a SM customer to change over to EV1, while the opposite is quite a frequent practice.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Originally posted by Rob_AcuNett In regards to support, All I can say is both company's first line technicians are dumb. The difference between the two is ServerMatrix's "managers" are dumb as well, whereas EV1Servers has some excellent upper management making for better overall support.
    Well, without some examples of why you think that the comment itself sounds "dumb". Just my opinion of course.

Originally posted by ddihosting

When we had servers with EV1 99% of our questions were returned "We are sorry, but that is your responsability.". We even had some questions regarding hardware issues that after four go rounds they finally realized, hey this is our responsability.
    Firstly I had a EV1 server for a year, and not ONCE have I heard a tech say that, 99% of techs I have spoken to, have helped me on the way being friendly all the time. So to be honest I don't believe you on that, maybe once if a tech had a bad day but otherwise nope they do everything they can most of the time. to help out even though they are unmanaged.

Now I've read all this through, I've only personally been with EV1 and haven't touched SM, but have heard good things about the network but not so good things about support.

Now most low level techs are obviously not as technological knowing as the higher techs, so if they can't fix the problem it goes up the ranks, which is the same in all companys that do support.

My personal opinion, I can't say much about SM as not been with them.

Dan
    New Shared & VPS Offerings Coming Soon!

I would go with ThePlanet total control servers, they have remote reboot, and quite a good managed package. I can say that we have had a few problems with SM/TP but overall the experience has been good.

From what I hear if you need really good suppport use RackSpace (thats where WHT is located), I have not personally used them but heard only good comments about them.

As for EV1 I have not used them, so I can't comment.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support Web Hosting Reseller Hosting Cloud/VPS Plans Dedicated Servers

SM hands down!!! Their support is great and their network is awesome. I used EV1 a while back and wasn't to impressed.

Why would you wanna use EV1, they clearly spit in the face of open source by buying SCO IP crap. The crapped on everyone that made their business possible, to me thats a company with no morals.

Ev1 Is great ... 2 years at EV1 almost zero downtime on my 5 servers now at Ev1, you have to know how to manage but they are pretty good ! I never have the need to try another probvider as now !

I you have some rushing prob. you can always got a superviser pretty fast in the forum/phone..

Still Ev1 Fan after 2 years here..

[i]
    Now. EV1 might have a rapid restore. What good is it if the server comes up and you can't use up2date on RHE? Or what good is it if the server comes up missing standard RPM's?

I think this was just straight bad luck not SM imparticular. [/B]

Note: I have 2 servers on RHE3 then i can use Up2date no problem...

Lots of different opinions!

I would recommend you going with Server Matrix for the added bonus of basic server management and not to mention that they go the extra mile to help you out.

Well, right this second I can't find my EV1 tickets. But I will try to find them and post for your peace of mind.

Originally posted by LetsGo-Dan
    Firstly I had a EV1 server for a year, and not ONCE have I heard a tech say that, 99% of techs I have spoken to, have helped me on the way being friendly all the time. So to be honest I don't believe you on that, maybe once if a tech had a bad day but otherwise nope they do everything they can most of the time. to help out even though they are unmanaged.

Now I've read all this through, I've only personally been with EV1 and haven't touched SM, but have heard good things about the network but not so good things about support.

Now most low level techs are obviously not as technological knowing as the higher techs, so if they can't fix the problem it goes up the ranks, which is the same in all companys that do support.

My personal opinion, I can't say much about SM as not been with them.

Dan

Originally posted by x007
    Note: I have 2 servers on RHE3 then i can use Up2date no problem...
    Check there forums and ask there management.

Originally they tried to get you to use an inhouse apt-get system. They didn't want you to use update. Raised a lot of questions.

I was able to get them to configure it 36-48 hours after the server came up.

Rapid restore, fine, but they should include something like this.

They might be doing it now, I haven't been with them in a while.

They are really good companies in their own way. Sure, there are those that chime in, "I have not had a reboot in X days", "I have never had a problem", etc..... Those are the opinions you should ignore.

What seperates the men from the boys is how the company resolves problematic situations. How knowlegable is support? How fast is support? How reliable is billing? What are the average times for OS reloads? Can this company get me back up in a crash?

The answers to these questions are here in these forums already.

I have said it, and will say it again. All of these server companies play a numbers games. 97% of their customers have no issues.

I have been a customer of both EV1 and SM. I think EV1 listens loudly to the 3%. All you have to do is visit their open forums. They really respond well to criticism. I believe that SM, on the otherhand, is focused on bringing in the 97% to fill up racks.

Bottom line: Listen to the 3% and what THEY have to say, your answer is there.
    Last edited by RayWomack; 05-30-2004 at 07:26 PM.

I agree, but it also matters how big that 3% is. For EV1, read there forums and read here. That 3% seems to be pretty big.

Also, the reason to post no problems, etc... is because that describes the quality of the initial configuration.

As for coming up in a crash, as I said, we had one server with major issues. It was handled extremely well. Although, not only SM, but no one could fully locate the problem and we ended up just replacing the server. Problem is gone. Just to qualify SM did a full chassy swap, full ram swap, Hard Drive change. Had multiple Leve 2 people look at it. I had multiple well known and respectec "Linux Guru's" investigate it. Couldn't locate the problem.

In regards to billing, they have had a few issues, but they are listening to there customers and are trying to find a better solution.

When I do ask support things I do get rapid responses. The most I have ever waited on a support ticket has been 24 hours and I put in the ticket that there was no hurry as it was not a deteremental issue.

Thanks,

I have been with servermatrix for over a year now. I have also had servers with rackshack/ev1.

To put it simply in my own personal experience servermatrix is alot better than EV1

I believe personally the network is better with servermatrix I also believe the tech support is better. I sure know for a fact that the sales/accounting department is better

Everytime i have tried placing a order with Ev1 there has been some type of issue
    I have been over charged. Not recieveing activation info via email so on so forth. If you can get your server ordered and online and you get lucky with no further issues the server will be excellent.

If your one of the unlucky ones where there is a glitch during the setup process You will slit your wrists from the lack of knowledge from thier sales/accounting department

Anyhow thats just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by ddihosting
    Check there forums and ask there management.

Originally they tried to get you to use an inhouse apt-get system. They didn't want you to use update. Raised a lot of questions.

I was able to get them to configure it 36-48 hours after the server came up.

Rapid restore, fine, but they should include something like this.

They might be doing it now, I haven't been with them in a while.

Yes you right , at first when they start offering RHE3 they have put apt-get.. But Customer like me want Up2date :-) So now Up2date is standard on all RHE3... i have got a new server then up2date was running on it no prob... My first RHE3 (when they came out) i have a tech that have enabled it manually..

The problem was they had to enable it manually. Went rounds getting it working and there internal apt-get system didn't include basic RPM's such as MySQL-SErver.

I've been with EV1 for just over a month now. The setup was flawless and instead of a 1.3 Celeron with 60GB HD with Helm on Windows Web they gave me a P4 2.0 with 80GB with with Helm on Windows Standard - for the same price of the former. Verry happy with my dedicated server.

So far no issues with EV1.