DINIX / VPS / Talk to me!

Hello everybody

I'm looking for first-hand experiences and feedback with Dinix's VPS plans. People who have used them. I don't want recommendations on other companies, or other VPS plans. Only Dinix please. Tell me the good, the bad and everything else. Give me everything you got. It is sincerely appreciated.

good:
    - network: it seems never have problem
    - support: TRUE 24/7 supporting service. fast reply. professional

about bad point: it's not really a bad one. But you should consider the memory limit when running heavy site.

overall: a good provider

gate2vn, thank you very much for the input.

Dinix feedback

I have been on a Dinix VPS for 3 months now... and am tickled silly with the fast response to help tickets ( average 10-20 minutes!)
    I have had a couple of set up problems, mainly due to the fact that I didnt have the VPS set up the way i wanted it, but they helped me right away.
    Have also called them twice for support, answers were concise and informative, altho the tech on the other end seemed sleepy.

Havent been quite as informative in helping me set up my daily backups..... and they dont offer that service... have had to make other arrangements...

Rating one out of ten: 8.5

I've been with Dinix for almost two months. I was surprised at how fast and prompt my telephone call was answered. They had me off the phone in less than one minute.

When I've sent tickets in, I normally get a response back within 30 minutes. They also installed IonCube on the VPS for me... for an unmanaged service, I was pleased to experience their helpful assistance.
    Get it at work!
    LT in the Midday, 10a-3p
    Click here

I've been with dinix for a month now and so far I'm happy with them. As every one else has said their support is excellent. Most of the time you can get a respone from them in 15 minutes. They'll also install things for you on request or they'll reply with how to do it. I haven't had any problems with the network. It has always been up for me. The only problems I ran into were things with the setup, but they were resolved quickly.

Originally posted by The Pioneer
    I've been with Dinix for almost two months. I was surprised at how fast and prompt my telephone call was answered. They had me off the phone in less than one minute.
    Yes and this is most likely the answer:
    "Please submit a support ticket and we will look into it".
    If you ask me that is a complete waste of even having phone support and shocking to me that so many find this acceptable.
    Originally posted by The Pioneer
    They also installed IonCube on the VPS for me... for an unmanaged service, I was pleased to experience their helpful assistance.
    Ummm unmanaged?? The clearly state that they do a lot more than 'unmanaged':
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinix site
    Do they offer extensive managed services so I donít have to worry?
    At Dinix all those questions are answered with a dedicated YES and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinix site again
    Monitoring and support
    Full hardware support
    Full support of control panels
    24/7 basic server monitoring
    24/7 Helpdesk access
    24/7 emergency access support numbers
    24/7 system reboots
    IP address changes, additions, removals
    Information access
    24/7 real-time bandwidth reporting
    24/7 online billing access
    CPU utilization check
    Disk space verification check
    Verification of last backup date and destination
    Log file checking, rotation, deleting, and cleansing
    Dinix also offers a full SLA, including a 99.99% network uptime guarantee.
    Monitoring and support - 2 things here,
    1) I NEVER once seem any sort of monitoring done of any kind by Dinix. If they did then explain to me why common things like httpd or named services being down and they never know it???
    2) I have seen several people have issue with IP's regarding Dinix (although I don't know full story), seems to me that by advertising this on their site, those problems should never exist.
    Information access -
    I find this section funny, as none of it is something they add, it all comes with cPanel itself.
    To me it's like a car dealership advertising they have steering wheels and tires!

SLA- As most, they do not honor this, otherwise where is every ones partial refunds for the fubard NOC move?? Of course never 1 word was mentioned of honoring their SLA.

In my honest opinion they are the Burst.net of VPS, they claim to be 'fully managed', but their terms of fully managed are commonly known as semi-managed services.
    Do not get me wrong, they are not all bad, but I definitely wouldn't count on their support or recommend them to anyone who isn't experienced admin in Cpanel/Linux.
    Regards,
    Eric

Yes we ask for a ticket when calling support this is to make sure we are dealing with the owner of the server, we have had customers of customers call and request changes on servers that did not belong to them then the server owner is why did you do this I did not request it to be done.
    We also have more than one tech working and we use the tickets to track the progress of what each tech has done to fix the issues. I my self would never do business with a host I could call out of the blue and them make changes on a server with out knowing if I was the true owner or not.

We will do reboots by phone but if we have to log into your server then your going to need a ticket just like it says on our website, this is no big secret and most people respect the fact we are only looking out for their security.

As far as monitoring we monitor just as our website says, we ping monitor for free, we now also monitor cpanel to make sure it is running and have scripts in place to restart it if itís down. If you want every service monitored on your server we offer this option as well for a small fee.

We honored every request for our SLA after the move if you did not request one then that is not our fault, itís clear on the website what to do to report a SLA violation and how to receive a refund.

Its also no big secret what cpanel installs but not every person knows what cpanel is and what it installs so I dont see the point in that rant.

As far as the Burst comment I will not even respond to that it is so far off the wall.

Originally posted by Esr Tek
    If you ask me that is a complete waste of even having phone support and shocking to me that so many find this acceptable.

Ummm unmanaged?? The clearly state that they do a lot more than 'unmanaged':
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinix site
    Do they offer extensive managed services so I donít have to worry?
    At Dinix all those questions are answered with a dedicated YES and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinix site again
    Monitoring and support
    Full hardware support
    Full support of control panels
    24/7 basic server monitoring
    24/7 Helpdesk access
    24/7 emergency access support numbers
    24/7 system reboots
    IP address changes, additions, removals
    Information access
    24/7 real-time bandwidth reporting
    24/7 online billing access
    CPU utilization check
    Disk space verification check
    Verification of last backup date and destination
    Log file checking, rotation, deleting, and cleansing
    Dinix also offers a full SLA, including a 99.99% network uptime guarantee.
    Monitoring and support - 2 things here,
    1) I NEVER once seem any sort of monitoring done of any kind by Dinix. If they did then explain to me why common things like httpd or named services being down and they never know it???
    2) I have seen several people have issue with IP's regarding Dinix (although I don't know full story), seems to me that by advertising this on their site, those problems should never exist.
    Information access -
    I find this section funny, as none of it is something they add, it all comes with cPanel itself.
    To me it's like a car dealership advertising they have steering wheels and tires!

SLA- As most, they do not honor this, otherwise where is every ones partial refunds for the fubard NOC move?? Of course never 1 word was mentioned of honoring their SLA.

In my honest opinion they are the Burst.net of VPS, they claim to be 'fully managed', but their terms of fully managed are commonly known as semi-managed services.
    Do not get me wrong, they are not all bad, but I definitely wouldn't count on their support or recommend them to anyone who isn't experienced admin in Cpanel/Linux.

We are 6 months in on the basic VPS 100 plan. We did have speed problems sometimes on our database site (not through heavy traffic, so I guess it's the memory) but apart from that:

- excellent response times on all tickets
    - 100% up time since they moved

We are not techies here, but we've got by so far despite that. Fortunately we've never had to re-boot or anything complicated, which might leave us stranded a little.

In summary... so far so good. In fact, very encouraging. Basically, we are happy with Dinix.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

Esr Tek, why are you attacking our testimonials? So, I was mistaken. The thread starter asked for experiences only and here you begin to complete trash the thread.
    Get it at work!
    LT in the Midday, 10a-3p
    Click here

Sorry Pioneer, it was in no way meant to be an attack on your testimonial.

Sorry to Dinix too, Guess it came out a bit wrong, been a bad day.
    I did not mean that to be as bad as it came out, I really must learn not to post when I'm generally ticked off
    Last edited by Esr Tek; 06-08-2004 at 07:55 PM.
    Regards,
    Eric

The thread went from mild to wild, and back to mild again. Thanks for the input everybody.

Actually... just back tracking a little on Dinix here...

Our biggest concern at present does in fact relate to the issue of 'managed' as referenced above.

We have recently been getting a series of security messages on our WHM panel. These are basically telling us to take various actions (eg: "Update apache ", etc).

Is that a problem? For us, yes. We wouldn't know how to do these things if our lives depended upon it. Hence, we will sit tight, and our system is exposed. Actually, we will hesitate to move more sites over to Dinix because of this.

Maybe the response to this is that it's OUR fault, for not being techies. I disagree... we have VPS accounts, using the same technology (WHM/Cpanel), at a number of other hosts (eg: HostGator, BlueWho, and so on), and none of these have so far required us to dig deep into techie-land.

I'd really hope that Dinix could apply these fixes themselves to VPS accounts. It doesn't sound like they will though, but time will tell.

So back to the original post: an issue you might consider here is how technical you are. If you don't delve into these things, and just want to set up accounts without fuss using WHM, you might be better looking elsewhere. Obviously, if you have a handle on the techie side, there is no issue.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts

Originally posted by JenniH

We have recently been getting a series of security messages on our WHM panel. These are basically telling us to take various actions (eg: "Update apache ", etc).

Is that a problem? For us, yes. We wouldn't know how to do these things if our lives depended upon it. Hence, we will sit tight, and our system is exposed. Actually, we will hesitate to move more sites over to Dinix because of this.
    Did you ask Dinix how to upgrade?

>> Did you ask Dinix how to upgrade? <<

No. The reasons:

a) Because frankly I'm scared to do it. Whenever we have started to fiddle in areas we know nothing about we invariably crash them. These are live systems, I don't have the expertise, and I don't want to take the risk of playing with fire, with the inevitable downtime.

b) No other VPS supplier that we use expects us to do these things. I'm kinda hoping that Dinix will do something about it sooner or later (preferably sooner). I'd be interested to hear what they have to say.

Our needs are quite simple, and a basic WHM/Cpanel system is adequate. I was simply pointing out to Gen-T that there may be an assumed knowledge here by the host, so to check that out if he hasn't got that knowledge (as we haven't).
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts

Originally posted by Esr Tek

eric, i truly hope you are joking, considering first off what you did to me and my accounts when i was at tekadvantage. by the way, whatever happened to tekadvantage??

i thought it was seriously crappy when you suddenly and without warning pulled the plug on my entire reseller account just because, as you said, you were ticked off.

as far as your support went, you got totally annoyed if someone didnt want to use your support forum because you said you wanted to be like aussie bob and when i did use it, you edited/deleted most of my posts, since i wasnt a happy camper.

also, i think it is interesting that YOU are the one who referred me to dinix in the first place.

in any event, im only saying this because ive been EXTREMELY pleased with dinix and because i was EXTREMELY aggravated with your service and to see someone like YOU ripping up on DINIX is kinda like seeing billybobs burgers trying to mess up mc donalds business.

for the record, ive been at dinix since december, im pretty damn happy!

lol - Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here -- very funny eric

ps and eric, as far as i recall, you wouldnt give ANYone your phone number! ever! you refused, even when we had all that downtime and you dont like messenger support either!

Last edited by Project X; 06-09-2004 at 03:32 PM.
    if you haven't considered chapter 7 bankruptcy, maybe you should.
    eliminate your debt, keep the property you want, most people qualify.
    contrary to popular belief - no attorney is necessary!