* Meaning of unlimited - how many domains can a server handle

Hi ,
    I ask this so that many will get a idea about the common term used in Hosting business "UNLIMITED "

Firstly let me know how many domains can a P4 2.8 with 1 Gb Ram, 120 hard disk support..

When many hosting companies sell reseller hosting as unlimited domains as main future ...i always get a doubt that if there are many resellers sharing a purticular server....will it not cause damage to the server....i mean slowing down and other stuffs.

And what do they actually mean by unlimited...I feel in a 2000 MB space reseller hosting pack..Its better to say they can host 25 to 50 domains rather than saying Unlimited domains...am i right or wrong..

I mean whats the maximum live websites with a normal traffic of 100 to 1000 Visitors per day can be hosted in one server.
    I know my question is wired but i just want a clear idea how r these Hosting companies able to manage so many resellers each given a opportunity to host unlimited domains in one server.

Sorry i just wanted to start a discussion on this so many newbies like me will get a clear idea.

Thanks for u r time

It's not really possibile to say.

Obviously when you're talking about resellers they are quite strictly limited by the amount of space and data transfer they have on their account, basically it would be 'as many domains as you want to host, within the resources you have'

So the domains may not be limited, but other resources are so it pretty much works itself out.

Good explanation Loon

I am sure there is some sort of ceiling of adding domians before all of your disk is used up by overhead but for all intents and purposes a person can add unlimited domains until their resource allocation is used.
    Last edited by rokamortis; 05-29-2004 at 10:07 AM.

Would you say that you were overloading a server by adding 1000 domains (accounts) even if they all fell within 5Gb of disk space and 25Gb of bandwidth (total).

(Presuming they're not mySQL hogging sites or anything)

It is hard to say if overloading or not ... each site has it's own requirements.

I personally would think that is excessive but if they all fit into the requirements of the 5 GB / 25 GB total and didn't kill the CPU then you would probably be ok.

i just looked up a site that was hosted on verio.net and they had 1700 domains on one ip!
    Cheap Web Hosting: www.supersweethosting.com
    Website Design - Scripting: www.adrenalinepcs.com

It all depends on the kind of sites you are hosting, you could have just about 10 if they are heavy dynamic sites using a clot of CPU power and bandwith or above 500+ if they are simple static sites.

To make it simple do note you CPU usage before adding new sites, its a good idea to stop adding more sites when you CPU usage going above 2% - 2.5%

2% - 2.5% ??? Was that a typo?

I know it depends on the type of sites but presuming that the majority of heavy dynamic sites have a lot of visitors - and therefore consume a lot of bandwidth - which in my scenario they're limited to 25Gb of bandwidth across all the domains so they can't be that processor heavy.

I guess another way to look at it is: Is it safe to offer resellers unlimited domains as long as they are limited by disk space and bandwidth?

TIA

yea within the space and bandwidth allowed

i generally when i do resellers put them in there own vserver with a low nice level like all others so theres not priority on the CPU that overloads it
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

I agree with glibert, if you limit their space and bandwith it shouldn't be a problem.
    hm what should I put in my sig?

How much accounts are needed for a hosting to be chaotic? :-)

Especially bearing in mind that even one reseller can create havock.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Imago, did you mean to pun on that?
    You said:
    How much accounts are needed for a hosting to be chaotic? :-)
    And the post directly before that was by ChaosHosting.

Originally posted by z280 Hosting
    Imago, did you mean to pun on that?
    You said:

And the post directly before that was by ChaosHosting.
    funny, but even without physical limit, i believe some aaplications will somehow crash for reading thoudsands of vhosts/users/groups and holding all of them into memory, by just saying apache, every sub domain is a unique vhost to be handled

1000 users can add up to 10000 vhosts probably, i can safely assum 1000 users is the most for even a dual xeon with 2 gb ram

if u really 1000 users on a box, simply a reboot will take ages, it will be chaotic if not crashed

Originally posted by SSH-Raj
    i just looked up a site that was hosted on verio.net and they had 1700 domains on one ip!
    Hi,

Some larger host providers use "Clustered or Load-Balanced servers". For example, check out: Earthlink Network Inc

http://www.whois.sc/207.217.96.28
    131769 websites . I don't think anyone can do this without a load balanced system
    Pierre Grandmaison
    Offering 24/7 Toll Free Telephone Support
    Zenutech Web Hosting
    http://www.zenutech.com