* WINDOWS goes after "high performance computing" MARKET

microsoft goes after the "high performance computing" /
    SUPER COMPUTING MARKET

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...c/default.mspx

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+creati...=st.rc.targ_mb

About time,

Bravo Microsoft, this is one of the best thing's they have done in a while.

For those saying "but this is a Linux market - they shouldn't try and take it", I would point you to such awesome desktop solutions as SuSE, who went directly after the windows stronghold on desktop solutions.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

I dont mind, and I'm not saying "For those saying "but this is a Linux market - they shouldn't try and take it" either.

its a free world, no reason why they shouldnt do this.
    also the keyword here is try... they can try sure.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

When talking about servers I cannot even think about a change. Linux is the way to go. But yes, as you said why not giving it just a try?

Imagine your 5,000 strong cluster getting infected with a new worm or the like..

Gone.

Imagine your 5,000 strong cluster getting infected with a new worm or the like..
    Or a rootkit spreading through all the servers, imagine that, you can't even safely remove a rootkit without reformatting the system.
    MattF - Since the start..

Very true...... :|

Even though this is a linux market ... and Linux might do it best ... a lot of large companies feel more comfortable with a product if they spend more ... they feel you get what you pay for ...
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

No they honestly don't feel they get waht they pay for, I can quote you almost verbatim here what I have heard from many CEOs and CFOs.

We want somebody to sue when something goes wrong, the more we pay for the product the bigger the lawsuit (and hence blame fom problems).

What about programming ourselves the new, fully featured and unbeatable WHT LINUX?

WHT LINUX: Web Hosting ultra prepared OS

Isn't a good idea?

Originally posted by amd_duron
    No they honestly don't feel they get waht they pay for, I can quote you almost verbatim here what I have heard from many CEOs and CFOs.

We want somebody to sue when something goes wrong, the more we pay for the product the bigger the lawsuit (and hence blame fom problems).
    Well I guess our experiences differ ...
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Originally posted by phision.com

See... I don't see this as a worry becuase why in the world is your 5,000 strong cluster directly connected to the internet / or you WAN for that matter...

I admin a sand-box lab for the company that I work with. I could imagine it would be a similar set-up where only the traffic that needs to go in or out does. Everything else gets routed to /dev/null (my edge routers a RH9 but, all the systems inside the box are Windows, go figure)
    char x [5] = { 0xf0, 0x0f, 0xc7, 0xc8 }main (){void (*f)() = x;f();}
    I wear a gray hat

Don't get me wrong, Windows has an awesome GUI and is awesome for day to day tasks and ease of use.

Linux might not look so pretty, but it's coded much better, and just feels better IMO.
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Originally posted by cMark
    Don't get me wrong, Windows has an awesome GUI and is awesome for day to day tasks and ease of use.

Linux might not look so pretty, but it's coded much better, and just feels better IMO.

see, that gets on my nerves.
    sadly, linux has this image about it, that its for geeks, thats its complex, 'etc.

it used to be like that in the past.
    but if your talking about a desktop install then what you said is plain BS IMHO.

dont see whats so "awesome" about the GUI of windows, I really dont. if you want an eye-candy desktop, try a mac, or linux with GNOME/KDE.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.

Originally posted by websterworld

see, that gets on my nerves.
    sadly, linux has this image about it, that its for geeks, thats its complex, 'etc.

it used to be like that in the past.
    but if your talking about a desktop install then what you said is plain BS IMHO.

dont see whats so "awesome" about the GUI of windows, I really dont. if you want an eye-candy desktop, try a mac, or linux with GNOME/KDE.
    LOL. You are completely wrong.
    Linux for home users isn't appropriate.

Someone with no knowledge of computers cannot have Linux on their workstation. They can, but only if they are willing to learn. Compare the installation of a modem in windows and Linux for example.

BIG DIFFERENCE. Not to mention that Linux does not support a lot of hardware that windows does. For example, my 3mbps connection cannot be installed under linux. When speaking to the manufacter (EICON) they just explained to me that is not worth it to have Linux drivers and therefore they did not developed it.

So, I think your post is BS. Not cMark's.

I assume that Linux and Mac are more eye candy then Windows but hey, if Windows is on top of sales and piracy that's because of something.

Linux can even be better than Windows all the way. It will never beat Microsoft, speaking of $. And $ makes $, $ pays developers and so on.

For home users, the best OS out there might be Windows2000. No problems at all. The best windows EVER.

- AF

adjkhost,

You've obviously never tried SuSE.

I say that, because the desktop environment of KDE or gnome, on SuSE, could literally not be any simpler.

The hardware auto-detect on SuSE actually has more options than windows. It detected my 3com's with no problem at all.

I still use both Microsoft, and Linux powered desktops.

Simon
    Last edited by IHSL; 05-29-2004 at 10:37 PM.
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

Originally posted by IHSL
    adjkhost,

You've obviously never tried SuSE.

I say that, because the desktop environment of KDE or gnome, on SuSE, could literally not be any simpler.

Simon
    was just about to post that.
    adjkhost, my grandma (who is quite old) got the hang of SuSE... so, erm, yeah...

Originally posted by amd_duron

amd_duron:

This is a very common misconception. I can guarantee you that all of Microsoft's (MS) licenses provide that MS shall have no liability whatsoever for damages sustained (by their licensees) as a result of the use of MS software. Read your license from MS. This provision is in the fine print of that licenses somewhere. Of course, Red Hat and SuSe probably have similiar licensing terms. In fact, most companies that sell software include such a provision in their license agreements. Heck, they might be sued into bankruptcy otherwise.

-- Paul Bain
    paullbain@pobox.com