Angry ICANN Proposes Fee Hike for Registrars...thus the End-Users suffer!!

In its 2004-2005 budget proposal, ICANN includes:

*a new fee that will average around $5000 to around $24000 per registrar and

*a 25 cent fee for each domain sold

how will that affect us??

http://thewhir.com/marketwatch/ica052804.cfm

Join the alliance

its already 18 - 25 cent per domain depending on the amount of domain sold.

but whats this 5K - 24K is it yearly or once?
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

My understanding was each registrar would have to pay that much to ICANN flat fee. Some people guessed man of the registrars would eat the cost... but how about smaller registrars? Sounds like many would shut down even earlier than when WLS comes in.

Maybe the UN does need to regulate the internet instead of ICANN?
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

i think the main reason of this that we see new registrar almost daily used only for grapping domains without even running control panel.

maybe this will limit somehow those registarrs..
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Originally posted by Bashar
    its already 18 - 25 cent per domain depending on the amount of domain sold.

but whats this 5K - 24K is it yearly or once?
    The cost currently is 3.5 to about 7 cents a name paid on a quarterly basis. They are proposing to go with .25 per domain name which is a huge bump for low margin resellers like directi and similiar services.
    Domain Maven

Looks like Directi is leading the fight. I looked at their 3 month old spreadsheet and wonder how some of those ICANN Accredited Registrars can operate with less than a thousand domains?

when each domain earns a couple thousand dollars or you get 20,000$/month for your RRP access it makes sense. But with WLS coming, that RRP access wont be worth much.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

I think there will be a registrar shakeout amongst the smaller ones once wls goes into play and especially if a rate hike occurs.
    Domain Maven

exactly you wont see %50+ of the current registrars or even the accredtied non-functional ones maintain their accreditation after WLS comes out...

... on my way to google.com to look up the definition of "non-profit corporation" ...

There's already a 25 cent 'transaction fee' on domains sold through wildwestdomains.com reseller accounts.
    Hostfolks Internet est. 2001
    VPS Solutions in 5 US and EU locations

Originally posted by Dylan

... on my way to google.com to look up the definition of "non-profit corporation" ...
    my welcomes to America, enjoy your stay

what i want to know is...

what does it really take to run the domain name system?

can we all chip in and get a server at serverbeach (cause of 2000 GB bandwidth) and have the exlusive DOT.WHT domain name
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

"Additionally this budget does not align well with ICANN's goals, which is to promote competition and foster globalisation and growth"

I really can't see why there doing this.... Maybe its because of too much competition?

It's a flat fee and it won't necessarily affect the end-user prices. Relax people!

Originally posted by gilbert
    my welcomes to America, enjoy your stay

what i want to know is...

what does it really take to run the domain name system?

can we all chip in and get a server at serverbeach (cause of 2000 GB bandwidth) and have the exlusive DOT.WHT domain name
    which costs ton load of money and a $50,000 non-refundable fee just for submitting your application for .wht

Originally posted by Bashar
    which costs ton load of money and a $50,000 non-refundable fee just for submitting your application for .wht
    lets all do it, well get out the game of monopoly and take the plunge (the money is real, especially when your playing the game)
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.