Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Heh, hosting n00bs bother me (especially teen ones)

haha, read this
    him: do i make money for having a site
    JezzoHelp: You can make money with a site.
    HIM: how
    JezzoHelp: i dont have time to share business encounters with you. Sorry.
    h: is there a way i can make money
    JezzoHelp: Yes.
    JezzoHelp: search google.com
    HIM: and write what
    JezzoHelp: search "online business"
    HIM: what is the site i am going to use to edit my page
    HIM: ?
    JezzoHelp:Are you a n00b?
    HIM: huh?
    JezzoHelp: how old are you?
    HIM: 13
    JezzoHelp: u said you were 9
    HIM: no
    JezzoHelp: Well, we can't host you unless you can read about this on the internet.
    JezzoHelp: say with me now In-ter-net
    HIM: If you do host me what will the site be
    JezzoHelp: you need ot buy a domain?
    HIM: how much is that
    JezzoHelp: $10 USD
    HIM: k
    HIM: nvm i dont want you to host me
    HIM: i will fins a better one
    HIM: find*
    HIM: can u give me a month free just to see if i like it if i do i will keep it if not i will end it
    HIM: ok nvm then because i am talking to someone who just said they will give me a month free
    HIM: thanks anyway then

Yea, it was quite funny. He wanted Hosting from me. Ah, these kind of people are straight up annoying.

Later
      0 Not allowed!

We sponsor some Half-Life gaming clans, so we get a lot of the younger kids asking a bunch of questions like that. They all want us to build them a website, host them for free, and give them a free gaming server... just to name a few. We get hassled 24/7 by these young'ns, enough to go insane. When you block one, they get on their other screen name and ask why you did it. You block them again and they pop up with another screen name... it just goes on and on....
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
    1-866-611-3604
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by CPQIS Evan
    We sponsor some Half-Life gaming clans, so we get a lot of the younger kids asking a bunch of questions like that. They all want us to build them a website, host them for free, and give them a free gaming server... just to name a few. We get hassled 24/7 by these young'ns, enough to go insane. When you block one, they get on their other screen name and ask why you did it. You block them again and they pop up with another screen name... it just goes on and on....
    Yea, I know what you mean.
      0 Not allowed!

BTW, when is the auction over?
    Cory Pippen
    1-866-611-3604
      0 Not allowed!

We usually get a couple of these kids asking for free hosting and free servers every week. Quite annoying.
    VisitorZoom - Boost your website traffic
      0 Not allowed!

Please stick on topic. PMs or the actual thread are places to discuss such stuff.
      0 Not allowed!

For me, if they want hosting, they gotta pay. Sorry .
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by MattSTX
    We usually get a couple of these kids asking for free hosting and free servers every week. Quite annoying.
    Ah yes, I get this one alot. Very annoying.
    Brandon Davis
    BD Design & Consulting of Austin - Website & Graphic Design, Hosting & More
    http://www.brandondavis.us
      0 Not allowed!

Auction?
      0 Not allowed!

We get hassled 24/7 by these young'ns,
    Aren't you like 14 or 15 too?
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.
      0 Not allowed!

You know, they are full of questions, but what is wrong with that?

How were you when you were that age? What would you have been doing if the internet was as big then as it is now?

We have a couple of clients that are young and the parents purchased the hosting for them and the domain.

After we survived the first month of million questions daily, they have been pretty quite. And I feel pretty good about it because they actually have come up with decent sites.

In fact one of the clients has a PR 6 rank site now and helped us get to PR 4 once he figured it out.

Now tell me they are bad?
      0 Not allowed!

Some of them are annoying some of them are good. If you help them with their questions no matter how many they will remain loyal to your company and only in the begining they ask lots of questions (im talking about smart 14+ year olds) and you just goto show them where the resources are to learn and pick up, the smart ones would acknowledge and move on but some would just eat you brain dead
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by dbbrock1
    Aren't you like 14 or 15 too?
    How is that?
    Cory Pippen
    1-866-611-3604
      0 Not allowed!

haha he must have run a WHT username detailed search on a magic bowl jokin
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser
      0 Not allowed!

haha,
    most teenagers these days think of the internet as a way to make money and become rich, thus if they become rich they can drop out of school

However, the chances of that happening is a million to one
      0 Not allowed!

Speaking of sponsorship, we were donating considering bandwidth to an internet radio station as of late. They managed to keep breaking their streams by causing a loop, leading to CPU spike on their box.

Not being in the know they automatically blamed the situation on us.

The minute they told one of my staff to "sort my ****ing stream out", they were given the boot.

I shall never ever give the shirt off my back again.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting
      0 Not allowed!

I can understand all your problems, but, I like to always say "I am a Webhost, if you want help with websites and website design, we charge an extra $150 a month, else, we can give you a tutorial page free which comes with the hosting".

Solves that problem.

Ashame about the kid always bugging me for a free gaming server.
    PhoneSupportWorldwide.com
    Web Hosting Telephone Customer Services
    Telephone: 0800 310 2729 - Blog: Click here
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by jubinrr
    haha,
    most teenagers these days think of the internet as a way to make money and become rich, thus if they become rich they can drop out of school

However, the chances of that happening is a million to one
    what makes you think that? when i was in homeschool i did work on the computer for school. i learned perl when i was 14 because of that.

kids don't want to make money to drop out of school. they make money to buy things!
    Cheap Web Hosting: www.supersweethosting.com
    Website Design - Scripting: www.adrenalinepcs.com
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SSH-Raj
    what makes you think that? when i was in homeschool i did work on the computer for school. i learned perl when i was 14 because of that.

kids don't want to make money to drop out of school. they make money to buy things!
    Hmm, sounds reasonable.
      0 Not allowed!

i stand corrected,
    they make money to buy things
      0 Not allowed!

I can see how that is correct. Kids under the age of 16 cannot get a job, and every kid wants money right? They get on the internet and see all these fake marketing scams telling them how much money they can make online and they get sucked right in.
    Cory Pippen
    1-866-611-3604
      0 Not allowed!

lol I remember some mother went into their childs bedroom (15 years old), opened up their draws and found aprox 35,000. She thought that he had robbed a bank.

Turned out he had ran a scam (Pyramid Scam).
    PhoneSupportWorldwide.com
    Web Hosting Telephone Customer Services
    Telephone: 0800 310 2729 - Blog: Click here
      0 Not allowed!

It's true it is a million to one for them to do that.

But, I remember being 13 and tearing computers part. The internet wasn't there yet, but I started a computer repair business. I did good at it and ran it all through highschool.

I won't turn away a 13 year old or 14 or watever because they are young. Everybody has the right to learn and there is no reason I can think of not to help them.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by WebspaceUK
    lol I remember some mother went into their childs bedroom (15 years old), opened up their draws and found aprox 35,000. She thought that he had robbed a bank.

Turned out he had ran a scam (Pyramid Scam).
    Wow, that is a lot of money.
      0 Not allowed!

Well, some teenagers don't want to drop out of school!!!!
      0 Not allowed!

I want to make money to drop out of university so I think he has a point there
      0 Not allowed!

Haha Taketo Good Point! That was what I was hoping for when I started web hosting. But pity got out of university before the biz allow me to drop out.
      0 Not allowed!

Like everyone here mentioned ill just say it in my words

Most of them start web hosting business since they cant get a job maybe because of underage or cant find one, web hosting doesnt take much for the teenager to start off, you just pay with daddys credit card and then all of a sudden your a Business Man, gives you something to boast about! Some kids i knew use to start up a business online or pretend to have a business online and goto www.vistaprint.com print them business cards and tell others LOOK AT US! WE ARE BUSINESS PEOPLE! trying to impress ladies as well not kidding ive seen it happen
      0 Not allowed!

When I was 14, I was out chasing girls.
    Olly | INX-Gaming
    Call of Duty 4 hosting
      0 Not allowed!

How is that?
    How old are you?(just curious)
    Download my eBook + Videos: Starting your own successful web hosting company.
    Learn from a web host with 7 years of experience.
      0 Not allowed!

I can see how that is correct. Kids under the age of 16 cannot get a job, and every kid wants money right? They get on the internet and see all these fake marketing scams telling them how much money they can make online and they get sucked right in.
    accually, is some states kids under 16 can get jobs, for instance, where i live, kids under 16 get jobs all the time and its perfectly legal.

See, i own a lawn care company and a hosting company, although i dont mow the lawns, i hire people that are 14 or older to take care of the lawns, and i pay them $10/hour, and they work for 3 hours a day, so they make $30/day which is pretty good considering they are all under 16. But i cant have them work during school hours or past 9:00PM.
      0 Not allowed!

Kids under the age of 16 can get a job, provided they have a work permit from their school.
      0 Not allowed!

I'm 22 but I really don't wanna end up as a lawyer. They work 13 hours a day 7 days a week and all that for crappy 75k a year. Ok 75k is not too bad but it is bad if you get cancer when you are like 40 because you've worked to much. Also I don't like to work with that kind of people. If all goes on like it was going within the last 30 days I will make 75k a month in like 3 years working 2 hours a day
      0 Not allowed!

I bid $10.

AIM: VSSHelp Vasco
    VSS Hosting - Because uptime means everything
    You Are Suck - Can you survive?
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    Kids under the age of 16 can get a job, provided they have a work permit from their school.
    That varies. In Idaho kids can work at 14, just limitations to hours and type of work.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by taketo
    I'm 22 but I really don't wanna end up as a lawyer. They work 13 hours a day 7 days a week and all that for crappy 75k a year. Ok 75k is not too bad but it is bad if you get cancer when you are like 40 because you've worked to much. Also I don't like to work with that kind of people. If all goes on like it was going within the last 30 days I will make 75k a month in like 3 years working 2 hours a day
    And you think the hosting industry is better?

I put in 18-20 hour days, am lucky to get 3 - 4 hours sleep. I'm on call 24/7.

A lawyer at least can take a week vacation. Try doing that in the hosting industry as an owner.
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by ddihosting
    And you think the hosting industry is better?

I put in 18-20 hour days, am lucky to get 3 - 4 hours sleep. I'm on call 24/7.

A lawyer at least can take a week vacation. Try doing that in the hosting industry as an owner.
    Webhosting.info says you host 60 domains, Google shows only 59 pages that contain the word DDIHOSTING so this makes me believe you have 50 customers or less. I'm having 215 clients at present and I spend less than 2 hours a day with hosting stuff so if you really have like 50 clients and are working 20 hours a day you are definitely doing something wrong
      0 Not allowed!

Hey well I am offended by the title of this thread. I am not a teen but I consider myself a hosting noob (don't ya speak enlgish boy).

Nothing wrong with learning your way round the business. We are not setup as a hosting company but we do host a number of very busy sites. In fact we probably have more resources than many hosting companies I see posting ;-)

But, even though it has been a couple of years I still know there are lots of things to learn and pick up new things every day.

Nothing wrong with noobs.

James
      0 Not allowed!

Originally posted by taketo
    Webhosting.info says you host 60 domains, Google shows only 59 pages that contain the word DDIHOSTING so this makes me believe you have 50 customers or less. I'm having 215 clients at present and I spend less than 2 hours a day with hosting stuff so if you really have like 50 clients and are working 20 hours a day you are definitely doing something wrong
    Both those are way off. We host almost 400 domains.

And yes, we don't have that many links to ddihosting.net. But also check ddihosting.com which redirects to us.

And we have another company that does work for other hosting companies. Even though we already do the work the site hasn't launched yet.

and I've never been to webhosting.info. Will have to check them out because thier data is grossly innacurate.
      0 Not allowed!

The clients of a Web Hosting company are identified as all Domains served by the nameservers of that particular Company. This may however not be true in all cases. In certain instances the DNS provider maybe separate from the actual Hosting Company. In such a scenario, those domains will be counted towards the DNS provider and not the Hosting Company.

Thier is the issue. We are currently building a centralized DNS system but don't have it yet. It is probably only reading two DNS servers and those are probably our corporate ones.
      0 Not allowed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast