Question How do I get off Cox.net's Blacklist??

We got stuck on Cox.net's Blacklist, we are not sure why, as there have been no reports of spam complaints.. anyway.. We have sent them an email 48 & 24 hours ago to the address in the bounce [email protected] and not a single word as of yet but we are still blocked..

Anyone dealt with these guys before? Do they use their own Filter list or someone else's?

Thanks

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I think it may be a problem with their filtering system itself. They were implementing a new system and it has caused all sorts of trouble.

Apparently they were blocking eBay among others for a while.

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

I've tried contacting them from an unblocked address, and no response in a few days. I did receive an autoresponse saying that I shouldn't expect a response.

The new system that was put in place did have its downfalls the first week or two into the program. Some of those were expected some were not. I know that since Cox put the system in place I have only had 2 emails blocked that were not supposed to. Out of the 3718 that are currently sitting in my spam bin. Although you can contact Cox via their local telephone numbers and get sent to tier 2 data support. They can normally look into the situation for you or have someone in the Abuse/Secutiry department call you back when they find out the case.

One of our main goals is to keep spammers out of our network. We, just like almost all hosts, have had the bad formmail script be used on a customers site but we have feedback loops with several BL's plus AOL so the instant someone complains we have the information to be able to shut them down fairly quickly.

In 5 years we have never had an IP blocked until this week and I am pulling my hair out trying to get it resolved.

Thanks for the input.. I say more power to the ISP's that are cracking down on spam but I wish on the other side there was a way to resolve these issues quicker since it not only hurts us as a company but the end users gets the worst part of it just trying to send legit emails.

Thanks

Robert

Do you publish SPF records?
    I could be going out on a limb, but I know some majour places have started implenting checking for SPF records (and if they dont publish or they dont match up them it [the e-mail] loses X points in an internal spam filtering system).

Well part of the problem is that they are filtering their postmaster address as well.

After reading this about Cox, it got me thinking.

I have a cox.net address. I have not used it since December of 2003, and I don't even have it entered in Outlook. When I did use it, it was just for a couple of orders from Dell.

So I fire up Outlook and enter the account info. I now have 207 new emails sitting in my inbox and over 800 in my Junk Mail folder. The oldest is 12.27.2003 and the newest is about 5 hours old.

I'm glad I received that one though...Sonia Craig, an Account Manager from 1st Loan Provider, is going to get me a really good rate to refinance my mortgage...

Originally posted by AdaptHost
    After reading this about Cox, it got me thinking.

I have a cox.net address. I have not used it since December of 2003, and I don't even have it entered in Outlook. When I did use it, it was just for a couple of orders from Dell.

So I fire up Outlook and enter the account info. I now have 207 new emails sitting in my inbox and over 800 in my Junk Mail folder. The oldest is 12.27.2003 and the newest is about 5 hours old.

I'm glad I received that one though...Sonia Craig, an Account Manager from 1st Loan Provider, is going to get me a really good rate to refinance my mortgage...
    what only 800 or so Spam emails.. wow you are lucky.. we see that every day on good days.

You better jump on that loan quick

Well after waiting and waiting for a reply from cox.net abuse dept and no answers I called Friday. I talked to someone that took my info and said they would be right back with me.. Never called back. I called again this morning, they take all my info again and say they will call back, about 4 hours later I get an email saying we had many complaints from customers saying we were spamming but they will go ahead and remove us from the blacklist. Okay, no problem except for the fact that we don't have any spammers but anyway whatever lets just get on with life.. I send an email to a friend on Cox.net.. guess what?? Bounce!! I call them and get to level II tech explain it all, they move me to some place else spend 30-45 minutes testing sending emails, headers testing.. No sir you are not blocked what not blocked but you have the proof we are blocked right there, the email says we are not allowed to send emails to cox.net. Yes we see that but we are not sure why?? err.. okay what can we do? Nothing! Why? because you are not a cox.net customer?? HUH?? Yes since you are not a cox.net customer we can not help look into this anymore. They suggested I contact many (not one) but many cox.net customers and have them call and try to explain what is going on and see if anyone of them can get to level II.5 or to the network operations center, which do not talk to people only via IM to the level II people that talk to phone customers.

Okay what is wrong with this picture? 5 years and never a spamming issue yet they say they have had lots of complaints.. now they say I am not blocked yet none of my customers on a particular IP address can send to cox.net customers. We have all the setting correct, reverse dns, no open relay, yet we can't send mail to cox.net from SMTP or cgi's

I understand an ISP wanting to filter spam but at what cost? I never cussed once or raised my voice (get more done with honey and being sweet) I don't know what else to do this is killing us, our customers think its us yet we have nothing blocked from any other ISP and if we had spammers I would think AOL would have shut us down already.. We have feedback loops with AOL and others that tell us when someone sends in a spam complain and so far they have all been spoofed IP and never been blocked.

I am at the end of my rope here.

Any thoughts what to do to get through to these people? do they even care ?? I know silly question.

Robert
    Last edited by GWDGuy; 06-01-2004 at 05:38 PM.

I would contact my datacentre. You may not be listened to but, I get the DC will.