Dreamhost vs lunarpages vs. geekhost.

what has your experience been? anybody actually used them?

thanks,

Ideawizard

Most people would recommend lunarpages...

They have a very good reputation here...
    New site: www.talkutas.com

Freak is right. They do have a good reputation here.

Browsing support forums can be a valuable experience and you might find a few customers having their websites in the profile. That measn you could contact them and ask what they feel about the service.

Dreamhost's: http://discussion.dreamhost.com/wwwthreads.pl
    Lunarpages' : http://lunarforums.com

i had a bad experience with dream host. so i started my own hosting company
    Cheap Web Hosting: www.supersweethosting.com
    Website Design - Scripting: www.adrenalinepcs.com

If I sign up with you SSH-Raj, do I get some candy sent to me? :-)
    I like to help

Max, do you have a favorite flavor? He's got all the flavors you want!

tried your site ssh-raj, but when i clicked on the plan it said page not found, I am on safari...also dan read the articles well done....

i'm working on the plans page right now. i've just started the site and i still need to get the support system finished and a billing script up.

right now i only have candy color codes avalible

Chocolate c85a17
    Blanched Almond fee8c6
    Light Salmon f9966b

I like the level of integrity you aspire to on your site and the standards you invite your hosts too hold and the way you cut to the chase. and give the real info quickly.

I had waded through a lot of the site rating sites that told me precious little ...then I found a mention of your site on deal mac.

I am a filmaker and a business coach for creative professionals and my clients are asking me for recommendations for hosting and I cant do that till I have tried it so I can best serve them. So I am doing it first.

Since you have immersed youself in this niche
    May I be so bold as to ask what host you would recommend in my particlular case which I spelled out in painstaking detail in my first and previouis thread?

Respectfully,

Ideawizard

SSH-raj i sense a future banner funded by the sugar lobby? or perhaps one sure to hit the target market by the american diabetic association...lol

ideawizard lol

Lunarpages, from personal experience.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Originally posted by ideawizard
    SSH-raj i sense a future banner funded by the sugar lobby? or perhaps one sure to hit the target market by the american diabetic association...lol
    lol it's still a great domain for a hosting company isn't it?

Originally posted by SSH-Raj
    Haha, although that's an interesting reason, I have to admit - I like the idea. It's kind of like hiring a plumber except he didn't do so well so you just took the wrench and started working it. If you become a successful host, you should send dreamhost a thank you email.

Good luck to you.

As far as this thread, LunarPages seem to have a very active and positive customer-based forum (this is tough to find). This kind of shows that they are not afraid of their customer responses and are confident of their service. Their popularity on WHT seems to be pretty grand even with random scuffles here and there and these seem to be taken care of swiftly.

DreamHost has been around for a loonnnggg time. Ever since I've registered at WHT I don't remember any big negative issues with DreamHost like a lot of other hosts have. (or perhaps I wasn't read hard enough). Anyways, if a host has been around for this long, I can't say they're having any issues.

GeekHost - I've never even heard of 'em until you mentioned it.

The most important to remember is to avoid hosts that just came out of the blue. I'd say about 85% of 'new' hosts will 'retire' itself within a 6month period.

Hope you find the host that meets your needs.

hopefully i 'll be part of that 15%! only 5 more months to go!

edit: i'm now a Junior Guru Wannabe!

hopefully i 'll be part of that 15%! only 5 more months to go!

edit: i'm now a Junior Guru Wannabe!
    Hrm, no no - I hope I didn't discourage you at all. If you really want to be a successful host, then you will. I think a lot of new hosts that close shop within a couple of months of opening shop is because they just don't have the will power to go through with it.

So if you're really hoping for success and work at it, you'll succeed. If you find yourself thinking negative thoughts about your business and your customers, you're not going to make it for much longer.

oh no i do have a positive attitude, i was just joking

I don't know about dream hosts service, but I have heard they are very unprofessional working with upstream vendors. I would go in a different direction

Do you mean their upstream connections aren't good, or they don't deal nicely with their upstream providers?

What's the implications of them being very unprofessional working with upstream vendors?

yikes another dreamhost thread. I can't even ask them a simple question since no one replies to their emails and they lack a phoneline!!!!

Originally posted by alpha
    Hrm, no no - I hope I didn't discourage you at all. If you really want to be a successful host, then you will. I think a lot of new hosts that close shop within a couple of months of opening shop is because they just don't have the will power to go through with it.

So if you're really hoping for success and work at it, you'll succeed. If you find yourself thinking negative thoughts about your business and your customers, you're not going to make it for much longer.
    I personally believe that apart from good business strategies and financial backup, to be a good host, you need to understand your customers and put them first in your priority list...

If you feel like celebrating when you get a praise from customer.. If you cant sleep bcoz of a complaint from a customer... Probably you have the heart to be a good host...

IMHO
    Wholesale Domain Prices for Retail Customers - Rushtoweb.com

Originally posted by berlin
    yikes another dreamhost thread. I can't even ask them a simple question since no one replies to their emails and they lack a phoneline!!!!
    I see that this is at least your fourth post griping about DreamHost in 14 minutes, in four different threads. Are you trying to bring them down singlehandedly?

That's odd, all the support queries I've had have been replied within 24 hours.