preventing site thieves

this is my first thread, i hope this is the right place to post.

referring to InternetPEI's thread, i wonder what are the techniques that webmasters throughout the world use to prevent thieves from stealing websites.

javascript for breaking out of frames is one of the best solution if the thieve uses frames.

another solution i came up with is tracking referer and just redirect them if the domain/site is known to be stealing.

are there any other solutions? if the thief downloads the entire site and uploads to his/her own host, wouldn't that counter all the solutions above?

it seems that it's a growing concern. especially since i'm a webmaster myself, i find it very frustrating when another steals my design. for design, there really isn't any way to prevent this, except you publicise the issue. or is this the same case for everything on the website?

there is no solution to this, as what the web browser can download, the user can download manually themselves.

oh. i guess it's pointless to go on with this. thanks!

London, UK
    Here's most of the popular "site grabbers" that are used to download complete sites, it's not going to totally stop people, nothing will but it might help if you have a problem with grabbers (biggest problem is they can eat alot of bandwidth if you have a large site)

for your .htaccess of course:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(eCatch¦(Get¦Super)Bot¦Kapere¦HTTrack¦JOC¦Offline¦UtilMind¦Xaldon) [NC,OR] 
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Web.?(Auto¦Cop¦dup¦Fetch¦Filter¦Gather¦Go¦Leach¦Mine¦Mirror¦Pix¦QL¦RACE¦Sauger) [NC,OR] 
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Web.?(site.?(eXtractor¦Quester)¦Snake¦ster¦Strip¦Suck¦vac¦walk¦Whacker¦ZIP) [NC,OR] 
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} WebCapture [NC,OR] 
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^DISCo\ Pump [NC,OR] 
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^EirGrabber [NC,OR] 
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Net\ Vampire [NC,OR] 
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^NetZIP [NC,OR]
    and just give them a 403 page:

RewriteRule .* - [F]
    I didn't put this list together, came across it somewhere else, but don't remember where, so thanks to whoever it was ...
    Last edited by Ash; 05-28-2004 at 05:18 PM.

London, UK
    forgot, image grabbers too:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(AcoiRobot¦FlickBot¦webcollage) [NC,OR] 
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^(Express¦Mister¦Web).?(Web¦Pix¦Image).?(Pictures¦Collector)? [NC,OR] 
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^Image.?(fetch¦Stripper¦Sucker) [NC,OR]