Starting an email service but...

... what about spam?

My web host says it will be OK to run this service with them, as long as I make sure there is NO spam comming from my account.

Therefore, I feel I have 2 options, or maybe use a combination of both. These are 1. Not use an automatic sign up but instead approve each one by hand, or 2. have some kind of outgoing mail spam filter or limit on outgoing mail (i.e. 1 mail every half hour).

I would really like to use something like number2, but I'm not sure how it can be done or it is possible at all. My host is a normal linux server running CPanel... any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack Andrews

Well, the host itself can have it set on the server how many outgoing mail can be sent out per account.

As far as your account goes, I think it will be more foolproof if you went with number one.
    Sang P. Ma
    President/VizHost.Com, Inc.
    http://www.vizhost.com

Are you allowing SMTP access or just sending via webmail? If just via webmail, all you need to do is program a small script which adds a timestamp to a database when a message is sent, and doesn't allow another to be sent for X minutes after that timestamp.

i will be allowing SMTP

im not really sure how to do this - my host says I get 2 chances - if they get reports of spam twice then they will pull the plug.

if there any way to moniter how many emails have been sent or recieved? i could automatically delete anyone who doesnt have anything in their inbox for a week after sign up...

hmm... just contacted the hosting, and they say there is a limit of 250 sent emails per hour (for all accounts). do u think saying this on the site would discourage them? i mean, is that much lower than what they can usually get?

That limit per hour is pretty standard I'd say

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

Two times and u are out. I guess u can forget it. Spammers comes in all forms. Really not possible to block. Most of the time, u only realise after the spams is out.....

Dont mean to bear bad news but you setting yourself up for a heartache.
    Regardless of how hard you try,you will always have that one (or two) persons who is mad a humanity and will vent on you thru spam complaints.

I have tried hosting maillist and email services but it has always ended in the same,someone forgets they signed-up and complaints.

'Hope the best for ya

Originally posted by grace5
    Dont mean to bear bad news but you setting yourself up for a heartache.
    I have to agree. Even if the user is limited to 250 emails per hour, spammers will continue using that allocation up and they will have multiple accounts and the amount of spam goes up as well.

Free email services are banned on our servers for a simple reason, THEY WILL BE ABUSED!
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.

What u can do is this, tell your hosting provider what u r doing, giving him an assurance that you will pursue any spamming complaints vigorously but ask them be exempted from current 2 strikes and u are out rule, saying your case is special.

I see pain, suffering, frustration, and heart ache in the future for you. Be careful what you decide on, it could unfortunately come back to bite you in the @$$.

hmm... im thinking it might be a good idea just to supply pop3 email to friends and family and people on the internet I know and can trust. then i could give webmail to everyone else... and make a limit of 5 emails an hour or something.

alternatively, could I just supply the actual pop3 box? I.e. give my users another SMTP server to use (one that is open)? would that work?

anyone know any open smtp servers?

Your web host should provide you with them.

hehe, thats the whole point - not using the webhosts, so i dont get done for spam