pointers on transfering to a new server

i am not quite sure how to do a transfer. i can upload the directory and files but i'm not too sure what will happen on the mysql database side. should i build everything from scratch and install my php scripts? i would lose all my content though . . . can anyone help?

Hello,

If you have CPANEL with the host that you are leaving, there probably is a "backup" feature in CPANEL. Just use it to export your MySQL databases. Then use the CPANEL in your current host and import the file in (I think it will have an extension '.gz'"

But if both hosts don't have CPANEL, this will not work.

If they don't both have CPANEL, maybe you could use PHPMyAdmin to export your MySQL databases.

Best Wishes,
    Shawn

ProSiteDev.com
    Professional Site Development & Budget Web Hosting
    Customer Satisfaction is our MAIN focus!

If you're using an administration tool like phpMyAdmin, you can have mySQL send you a script that contains a backup of your database w/ data.

All you need to do is do that, then restore it back on your new server. Just make sure your PHP database connection code on the new server will work in the new environment (username, pw, etc)
    Paul Embry
    Knight Software and Web Design
    [email protected]
    Quality PHP Web Programming for Reasonable Prices

Shawn, Paul - you guys are the best. Thank you. I use CPanel on both hosts and also use phpMyAdmin. I am currently trying to see which option will be the most effecient/ easiest - out of the 2 you guys suggested.

Thanks again.

Rod

Happy I could be of assistance !

Have a good day.

~Shawn

ProSiteDev.com
    Professional Site Development & Budget Web Hosting
    Customer Satisfaction is our MAIN focus!