Man faces 15 years jail for playing GTA whilst on the phone

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16194

------
    A COMPUTER GAMER has been banged up after he caused a security crisis for police at a local restaurant in North Jacksonville.

Anthony Jones was playing Grand Theft Auto with a child and decided to call a mate in a local restaurant.

After the friend answered Jones got to a crucial bit in the game, got a bit excited and uttered the words "There's a bomb in the building. There's a bomb in the building. Everyone needs to get out!" and hung up to continue the game.

A worker heard the warning, considered it a serious threat and became scared and called the police. The restaurant was evacuated and searched for explosives.

Police were able to use a call-return feature to determine where the call had been placed. The house belonged to a friend of Jones, who said Jones had been playing the video game and had used his phone.

However, the cops were not amused at the story. Jones was immediately arrested and could face up to 15 years for faking a false bomb report.
    ------

eek... i feel for this guy
    Gone.

Sounds like he's not getting time for playing the game... he's getting it for being a moron.

Steve
    www.sgnettech.com
    Affordable, reliable Cpanel hosting and dialup.

I play GTA3 & GTA Vice City, and there's no place in the game where I would think "There's a bomb in the building, everyone get out !"... it's more like "Finally the bomb is in the building, I hope everyone stays in".

Sounds more like a lame excuse to a stupid joke he tried to play to his friend.

Would have been more credible if he said he was talking in his sleep.

Could of been at the part where you fly the RC helicopter into the building thats being built and place the bombs on various floors to blow it up...but still...sucks for him...ha

Sorta funny. Not for him of course, but yah.
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

Originally posted by adminME
    Could of been at the part where you fly the RC helicopter into the building thats being built and place the bombs on various floors to blow it up...but still...sucks for him...ha
    nope, see you fly the helicopter into the building and try to blow it up, dont really care if the workers get out. in fact, they get in your way.

I also dont recall any part of GTA (vice city) where you would say that... *shrug*
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Originally posted by websterworld
    nope, see you fly the helicopter into the building and try to blow it up, dont really care if the workers get out. in fact, they get in your way.

I also dont recall any part of GTA (vice city) where you would say that... *shrug*

See if you read my post through you would I see I said it is YOU that fly's it....and also, he could of been talking about getting the helicopter out of the building..

Originally posted by adminME
    See if you read my post through you would I see I said it is YOU that fly's it....and also, he could of been talking about getting the helicopter out of the building..
    I did, but what I meant is that he said:

There's a bomb in the building. There's a bomb in the building. Everyone needs to get out!
    while he is flying the heli' himself, and trying to blow the building up... and that doesnt make sense.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

He won't get anything. They can put you away for 5 years for pulling a fire alarm, but that doesn't mean anyone has actually been sentenced to 5 years (at least not that I can remember).

He might just see a hefty fine, and have his cell phone use banned for a year or so.

There's a mission where you must destroy the haitian gangs headquarter with the help of cubans.. you have to place the explosives and then run out as fast as possible, I think even Tony vercetti (the main character you play) says "We have 5 seconds everyone get out !"

Originally posted by alex-info
    I play GTA3 & GTA Vice City, and there's no place in the game where I would think "There's a bomb in the building, everyone get out !"... it's more like "Finally the bomb is in the building, I hope everyone stays in".

Sounds more like a lame excuse to a stupid joke he tried to play to his friend.

Would have been more credible if he said he was talking in his sleep.
    Jean-Pierre Abboud / I'm the TekGURU
    www.Gotekky.com / Managed and Self-Managed hosting solutions
    Toll free: 1.888.915.4400 / Local: 1.514.316.1885 / Live chat
    Cloud VPS Hosting

This is silly

that's right jpabboud...i remember that part. but then, does it matter who gets killed? i thought the main theme is to kill as many people are you can. lol

i'll just tell 'em to stay in the building.

What an IDIOT!!!!!!

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Originally posted by jpabboud
    There's a mission where you must destroy the haitian gangs headquarter with the help of cubans.. you have to place the explosives and then run out as fast as possible, I think even Tony vercetti (the main character you play) says "We have 5 seconds everyone get out !"
    Yeah, i think thats what he was up to.
    If you dont get out in time, they call the mission off and you have to do it again, so you gotta get out in time.

What's the penalty for evesdropping on someone else's phone conversation? The arrested guy wasn't talking to the manager, right? He was talking to his friend.
    Very strange.

I predict no penalty for the guy arrested - besides being arrested. Even if the DA took it to trial, the judge would dismiss it, "no intent."

Now, when the guy arrested sues for "false arrest".... that'll be an interesting one ;-)
    http://www.IwantFUI.com
    If you could host a new kind of content from your old-fashioned web servers
    and make new money from your customers and differentiate your business all at the same time... could you afford not to try? See the new site

Prank gone wrong.

I think the dude needs to do some community service for a couple of months.

I hope he gets 15 years for using pirated GTA software.
    He who hates correction will die. --Proverbs 15:10
    Jeffrey's Cute Blog | My stockphotos and illustrations

Re: Man faces 15 years jail for playing GTA whilst on the phone

Originally posted by phision.com
    A COMPUTER GAMER has been banged up after he caused a security crisis for police at a local restaurant in North Jacksonville.

Anthony Jones was playing Grand Theft Auto with a child and decided to call a mate in a local restaurant.

After the friend answered Jones got to a crucial bit in the game, got a bit excited and uttered the words "There's a bomb in the building. There's a bomb in the building. Everyone needs to get out!" and hung up to continue the game.

A worker heard the warning, considered it a serious threat and became scared and called the police. The restaurant was evacuated and searched for explosives.

Police were able to use a call-return feature to determine where the call had been placed. The house belonged to a friend of Jones, who said Jones had been playing the video game and had used his phone.

However, the cops were not amused at the story. Jones was immediately arrested and could face up to 15 years for faking a false bomb report.
    ------

eek... i feel for this guy [/B]
    didnt the other guy report it?

What a jib....

Jeez, thats a bit much, but hey, something like that is scary, shame on him :p

I thought about this the other day. There is that ne portion in the game where you dress up like a cop and put a bomb in the shopping mall. That could be the part that got him in trouble.
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins