Apache childs: gracefull finishing?

seeking advice on something I was not able to find either in Apache docs or on the web. After running for some time, Apache (1.26) seems to start accumulating G-childs, status looks like this:

Server uptime: 23 days 14 hours 51 minutes 57 seconds
    24 requests currently being processed, 8 idle servers
    Now, of course apache restart helps, but I wondered if that's a bug in Apache or something in my config? Keepalives are set to 5 second, and those G childs keep hanging there for minutes. Requests per child is 10,000. Could it be caused by some malicious clients?
    Last edited by piramida; 05-28-2004 at 02:00 AM.

i'd say upgrade apache first to latest version then worry about other things
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

I keep them to 50 rather than to 10000 and the server is still alive.
    :: :: :: :: :: ::
    :: VDSP.Net :: Directory of virtual and dedi serv providers by location and price

Be gentle with our Apache children, they are our future.

i'd say upgrade apache first to latest version
    I've read new version's lists of fixes and did not find a word about things that could be related. This is something very basic, and they don't change core functionality much.

Anyway, thanks, will try to reduce requests per child. I was instead thinking to make it infinite, since those G-children are, most probably, the ones which have served their limit of requests and now refuse to die for some reason. If that's the case, the problem should get worse