Exclamation Space News :: NASA telescope spies youngest planet ever discovered; 1 million yrs old

Article extract >>

An impression of what it might be like in the CoKu Tau 4 system
    Nasa's Spitzer telescope has found evidence around a distant star for a planet that may be less than one million years old.
    The infrared space observatory studied five stars in the constellation Taurus, about 420 light-years away.

All had dusty discs around them in which new planets are presumed to be forming out of accreting material.

And for the star CoKu Tau 4, Spitzer saw a clearing in the disc which could have been swept clean by a new world.

Nasa is excited by the latest findings from its $2bn space telescope launched last August.

It cannot see objects the size of planets directly, but its infrared detectors can penetrate the dusty clouds around very young stars probing the regions in which planets are forming.

Spitzer has now detected significant amounts of icy organic materials sprinkled throughout these "planetary construction zones".

These materials - icy dust particles coated with water, methanol and carbon dioxide - may help explain the origin of icy bodies like comets, the US space agency says.

End extract <<

For more info/video :: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3755617.stm

Just to clarify how young this planat could be relative to Earth, our planet is believed to be in the region of 4.3 billion years old so Earth is about 4,299,999,999 years older or its great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great.....something or other

Earth at that age woul've been a completely different place.

Opinions?? Comments??

Critic,
    The 9 words of life quote -
    "Act with honour, seek justice, die true, remembered well."
    GO LDN 2012 ~ AIM = Critic News Info

They seem to find objects 420 light years away, but not a trace of WMD ...

What's WMD ?

Weapons of Mass Destruction
    ie in Iraq
    Please visit my auto an up and coming community for all car discussion.

Originally posted by timechange.com
    They seem to find objects 420 light years away, but not a trace of WMD ...
    timechange.com why do you wish to turn such a nice thread into more war debate? Its almost like your trolling. I would expect a much more mature post from you. I've lurked these forums for a long time and you've always been level headed. Whats up?
    All I ever wanted was an honest weeks pay for an honest days work!

Originally posted by dolbyac3
    timechange.com why do you wish to turn such a nice thread into more war debate? Its almost like your trolling. I would expect a much more mature post from you. I've lurked these forums for a long time and you've always been level headed. Whats up?
    I am sure Critic appreciates my tongue-in-cheek humour a bit more than you do.