Which PC Proccesor is best?

I'm looking to upgrade and I see all these different names Athlon, Celeron, Pentium, etc. What's the best? All we really use it for is the Internet although we might play a game or two.
    9/11 Memorial, do you have a story to tell?
    United Web Site Award Givers, do you believe your site is worthy of an award?

Well, for internet I'd say celeron. Althlon is an AMD based chip, and it is over all cheaper, and usually just about the same. You'll have to make sure the processor fits into the computer you want to upgrade.

Pentium4 with 2.2 or above Ghz is your best bet.

costwise an AMD Athalon is the best [its also good for games]

I built my desktop with an AMD Athelon 64 umm... forget the speed... I love it, but I never use it.

I bought my laptop from hp, its a p4 2.4 ghz with 512mb ram... Unfortunantly it still uses windows Anyways... I think that it runs much slower then the AMD, I actually had a race once, the Desktop won, even though it had like 5 programs running, and the p4 was just started and had nothing running (that doesnt start automatically).
    Perhaps it because the HP came with a ton more useless programs that automatically start, and the HP has more junk on it (not to mention that it is windows), but the AMD was much faster.

I would reccommend the AMD Athelon 64... only problem is that it run's a little hot.

Just my 2 cents.

The best CPU is the one that comes out right after you buy the "top-of-the-line".

It's always best to by 2 or 3 generations behind the top of the line ... that's the best bang for your buck.
    Know It All Solutions Incorporated
    Web Design, Web Development and Web Hosting

Stay far away from Celeron. The new ones are based of the P4 core, which has a very long pipeline and need a large L2 cache to begin to take advantage of the architecture. The Celeron only has 128k of L2. If you are looking for a budget CPU the Duron is a much better choice. But, between the Pentium and Althon XP there isn't much of a difference for most applications. The Athlon64 has been the top performer in many categories, but keep in mind that unless you are running a 64-bit OS you are limiting its true potential and might want to wait until the prices come down. Also, the lower clocked Althon64's only have 512k of L2 vs the 3200+ with 1M of L2.

But if you really want to upgrade go with an Athlon XP and check out the Western Digital Raptor SATA drives, a ATI 9800 PRO video card, or add more RAM with the money saved from not getting the Athlon64 you will probably see a better real world performance.

What do you guys think of this system? http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...null&tab=specs

Originally posted by ambirex
    The best CPU is the one that comes out right after you buy the "top-of-the-line".
    I hear that!, I bought a 3.2 P4 with Hyper Threading, and before I can walk out the store a 3.4 comes out!

The link didn't work for me, but guessing from the URL, do you mean the a410y?
    I really don't like integrated graphics, if you want to play most current 3d based games you will be sorry, to make matters worse it doesn't have an AGP slot so you could upgrade the graphics card if you wanted.

I would look at the a530e. Even if you go with the integrated graphics you could upgrade later. Don't be deterred by the lower GHz as the Athlon out performs the Pentium at the same clock speed so the look at the ####+ and your can roughly equate that to Ghz.

Thanks for the help from everyone.

The big battle review = AMD vs. Pentium

http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-81-1.htm

PS I think this is pretty outdated.....make a search for some new reviews

The best CPU is best for what you want to do with it.

A celeron will be fine for the internet and maybe a few older games. Personally, I cannot use a celeron because they dont have the power to do what I want. However, my parents use a celeron and have no problem with it. They dont need all the power that I do.

If you're going to be doing word processing, email, older games, and browsing the net, a celeron will be just fine... However, once you get to heavy gaming, 3d design & rendering, movie editing, sound editing, and such then a more robust CPU will be necessary (P4 or XP). Then its just to brand and cost preference.

Just my $0.02
    Glioblastoma Multiforme (GBM) Brain Cancer Awareness. May is Brain Cancer awareness month. Gray Matters!
    Incurable, 6-18 months prognosis, survivors longer than 3 years less than 1% chance.
    Don't like what I say? Ignore me.

I recently built myself a new PC and went for an Athlon XP Barton (get a Barton if you're buying an AMD XP because it has a larger cache which will improve performance, particularly if you want to play games on it).

It overclocks very easily by changing a setting in the bios which makes it run as a Barton 3200. I had no stability problems with that even running it with the stock heatsink and fan (however now the weather has warmed up it is running a little hot so I've dropped it down again until I get a good fan). So you're basically getting a Barton 3200 chip for the price of a 2500 if you get a decent motherboard and fan.

I'm using a SATA hard drive and it works great. Much faster than my old drive and virtually silent.

As far as I know a celeron chip won't compare to an AMD very well. Celeron will be much slower Ghz for Ghz (compared to a barton at least).

AMD Durons will also be slower than an XP Barton. At the prices of an XP Barton chips I would say go with one of them as the represent better value for money in terms of speed/price than the other options (that's why I chose one myself).

It'll be cheaper than a pentium 4 running at the same Ghz, give more or less the same performance (or better in some tests). It'll run a little hotter if you overclock it but that can be sorted out with a decent cooler.

Have you thought about finding a local system builder and just telling them exactly what parts you want in your machine. That might work out cheaper than buying an off the shelf system and you'll be able to choose exactly what goes in it to get the best performance for your money. Most system builders will offer a warranty the same as an off the shelf machine, and because they'll be local you'll probably get it fixed faster than if you had to call dell or somwhere for example (I don't know about how fast dell are specifically but I would imagine you might have to send the PC back to get it fixed or wait a few days for them to send someone out if it went wrong - I might be wrong about that though)..

One thing I would recommend is to get a decent motherboard. Particularly if you're going to be buying a PC with one of the slower chips in it. By paying a little extra for a good motherboard that'll support the full range of chips available now it'll mean your system is more stable and runs a bit faster for now, then if you decide to upgrade the processor to a faster one in the future it'll be much easier to just swap out the chip rather than strip the whole machine and install a new motherboard.

Just my opininon after doing some research myself, so don't take this as gospel.

I'm a pentium only guy, and I'd never use a celeron heh. I don't like AMDs because I had some bad experience with them years back with a processor, and horrible customer support.. maybe that has changed, but I'm not going to give it a try.

P4 is in my opinion the only way to go, and if you have the money, I don't see any reason not to.

2 years ago I whould say Intel, but Amd has improved imo. Go with an Athlon XP, mine doesnt even hit 50c @ load. And its fan cooled. You may want to look into building your own. Finding out what componets, match what. And goto pricewatch and newegg. GoodLuck

Barton 2500 with an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with two Corsair XMS3200 512 RAM sticks.

Cant go wrong with that, that's my config and I've never been happier.

I'd go for an Athlon XP.
    My Athlon 650 is still working great, but I'm picking up an Athlon64 3200+ and Asus K8V SE Deluxe to replace it next week

Intel P4/AMD Athlon will get you very similar performance. Intel generally costs way more, mainly beats AMD when it comes to encoding (I believe this is where higher mhz counts).
    -Chris
    "There are 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary, and those who don't."

The best bang for the buck right now is prolly the XP 3200+ with the 400 FSB. Its like $139 on PW right not Great chip awesome price.... http://www.pricewatch.com/1/3/5523-1.htm

If you are looking for something thats a little more expensive and a bit of a toy I would look at the Athlon 64 Bit Chip.... Its about $200.

If I was on a limited budget I would spend less on the CPU and more on the other parts. More ram, better VC that sort of thing.

Me