Setting up a RAQ4 using a dynamic IP address

Hello all

Although I have several co-located servers, these are all managed by the co-locaction firm so I do not need to get my hands dirty. However, I want to set up a development server at home, networked to my development PC, but make the RAQ server available to coders who work for me so they can upload/download code and also use it as a test-bed server prior to unleashing it on the co-located servers.
    (hope that all makes sense).

I am looking for any guidance on where to get started. I know zip about the RAQ 4 so I am going in cold. Sorry if these are very dumb questions:

What software can be used on this server? Will I be able to install Apache and CPanel or must I use the RAQ CPanel?

How do I set up the server without getting a static IP address?

Do I need to buy a domain name for the develeopment server?

Can anyone suggest any good sites where I can get information which is suitable for a newbie to the RAQ world?

How do I stop people hacking into the development RAQ server - i.e. close all the security risks etc?

So many questions - sorry if they are simplistic - I am a simpleton

Unhappy

Well a month has gone by and not one reply. That is very disappointing

Probably because all of these questions could be answered buy reading the Raq user manual and/or a good book on linux!!

Online mailing lists and forums will happily help people out but only if they think said person has tried to help themselves first.

Failing that I'm sure it would be possible for you to purchase somone's time to help you.

This was not ment as a rude post, mearly to explain why you hadn't had a reply.

Regards, Dan

Re: Setting up a RAQ4 using a dynamic IP address

Originally posted by dataferret

What software can be used on this server? Will I be able to install Apache and CPanel or must I use the RAQ CPanel?
    You can use raq panel, webmin does work too, CPanel prolly not (at least not without mods) and apache is preinstalled

How do I set up the server without getting a static IP address?
    maybe with a static lan ip and portforwarding via your (dial up) router

Do I need to buy a domain name for the develeopment server?
    no

Thank you Sehe for pointing me in the right direction. It is good of you to take the time to share your knowledge - at least I know where to start now.

Thanks again

Dataferet.

Not sure what type of connection you have at your home office? You will want to monitor your public-side IP address. Visiting http://www.whatismyip.com/ is an easy way to find out. If your IP changes frequently, then you will need to look into using a dynamic DNS service and/or setting up your own DynDNS system. Using a service (there are free ones) is probably the easiest. This will allow you to give a domain to your developers and not have to worry about a constantly changing IP. Wether you run the DynDNS client on your raq or on your windows dev box is up to you.

I also suggest that you use some sort of firewall/router to better protect the Raq server and your home network. I use a linux box with IPCop on my home network and it works great. A router with the ability to do port forwarding and/or place a system in the DMZ would be preferred than using windows internet connection sharing. The IPCop box we use gets hit daily with scans from within the ISP's network.

We save you time, money, and frustration by handling the server management tasks required to run an online business successfully.
    No prodding required. We just do it right the first time. Red Hat, MySQL, Plesk, and cPanel certified staff.

Hi Huck

Thanks for those tips - especially the DynDNS information. I currently do not have a static IP address so this will be very valuable info. I was hoping to find a way to set up CPanel on the RAQ so I could basically have the same setup offline as I do on my shared hosting accounts. It seems to make sense to do this because it would enable me to do development testing with minimal changes when I upload to the shared server. Does this sound realistic?

I know these questions are a bit simplistic but I have never used a RAQ before and despite reading the information in the manual, it is a lot to digest. Sometimes asking simple questions provides clarity and when you re-read the manual things begin to make sense.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone

Originally posted by huck
    Dataferet.

Not sure what type of connection you have at your home office? You will want to monitor your public-side IP address. Visiting http://www.whatismyip.com/ is an easy way to find out. If your IP changes frequently, then you will need to look into using a dynamic DNS service and/or setting up your own DynDNS system. Using a service (there are free ones) is probably the easiest. This will allow you to give a domain to your developers and not have to worry about a constantly changing IP. Wether you run the DynDNS client on your raq or on your windows dev box is up to you.

I also suggest that you use some sort of firewall/router to better protect the Raq server and your home network. I use a linux box with IPCop on my home network and it works great. A router with the ability to do port forwarding and/or place a system in the DMZ would be preferred than using windows internet connection sharing. The IPCop box we use gets hit daily with scans from within the ISP's network.

dataferret, if I remember correctly, in order to use CPanel, you must have a static IP address. I think it has something to do with the licensing stuff that CPanel uses.

If I'm wrong about that, I apologize. It's just something I think I remember seeing on CPanel's site and their forums.

Thanks for the tip RobertSearchy

If I wanted to go down the route of getting a static IP address, could someone pint me in the direction of a good link containing useful info so I can read up on what I need to do to get started?

It seems to make goolid sense to have the RAQ using the same software as my shared hosting server so CPanel would be part of this requirement. Someone has suggested to me to sell the RAQ and go for a Linux box. Has anyone any thoughts or comments on this?

Remember, I am pretty much a newbie where server hosting and administration is concerned. It is quite a lot to take in so please be gentle with me. I appreciate constructive comments.

thanks