PTR Record, what exactly does it do

Hi There,

Can anyone tell me or guide me to a right place where i can find out what exactly some ISP's do by checking the PTR record. I am quiet confused.

Lets say i send an email via an ASP script from my server, does the ISP take the IP of the SMTP server and do a Revert PTR on that, or does the ISP check the "From" email address and do a reverse PTR on the domain of that email?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

PTR is a reverse DNS record. Most SMTP servers do reverse DNS checking to allow or disallow acceptance of the message. The IP address of your server needs to both forward and reverse match. If your servers IP is 1.1.1.1 and named server.domain.com If you do an nslookup on server.domain.com you should get 1.1.1.1 and if you do it on 1.1.1.1 you should get server.domain.com

Steve

yes i have set my server name to server.domain.com and when you lookup server.domain.com it points to that IP and when you reverese lookup the ip it gives me server.mydomain.com but the problem is when i lookup my IP it gives me server.mydomain.com but it also addds a X.X.X.IN-ADDR.ARPA. extension to it. Does this matter?

How are you looking up the IP address to see the reverse? Are you using nslookup? If so it should ONLY show you your servers Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN). server.domain.com if it says server.domain.com.x.x.in-addr.arpa then you might have the zonefile configured incorrectly. Are you hosting the reverse record?

Steve

If you are hosting the zonefile for it make sure your record in x.x.x.in-addr.arpa looks like this

1 PTR server.domain.com.

If it is missing the ending . it will append the zonefiles name to the end of the record.

Steve

i dont think i am hosting the zone file i am with EV1SERVERS. and i am using the following site to check the rever IP http://www.paulsadowski.com/lookup.asp

Then you should contact whatever company owns that IP address and ask them to put the period at the end of server.domain.com for your IP in there x.x.x.in-addr.arpa record. If you want me to verify what your saying just PM me the IP addres "if you don't want to publish it on here".

yes, it is normal to have .in-addr.arpa appended to your ip address when you do a ptr lookup.
    Ahmad Alhashemi
    PHP, Apache, C, Python, Perl, SQL
    18 related BrainBench certificates

When I enter any of my IP addresses or any other IP's I can think of i don't get x.x.x.in-addr.arpa appended to the domain name it responds with in that URL he gave me.

Steve