simple DNS question

Hi there.. yesterday I got a dedicated server for the first time. I've managed to figure out most already, but I was wondering about one little thing.

I already had the domain, and I changed the primary and secondary DNS to ns1.primarydns.com and ns2.primarydns.com. The thing is that at my domain admin page there's also a third nameserver which is still pointed to the old DNS. There's an option to remove the third DNS, but I'm not sure if I should remove it.

So my question is: should I remove the third DNS, or should I just leave it like this?

Hope somebody can help. Thanks in advance.

So the third nameserver is pointing to the old ip address of your website and the two new nameservers are pointing to your new ip address. If that is the case then i would probably wait upto 72 hours before you delete the third nameserver. That is what i would do just to be on the safe side.

But there should be no problem if you delete it now.

Alright.. thanks a lot for your fast reply. I'll wait just in case.

No problems joeri.

If you need anymore don't hesitate to contact me.

Great.. before yesterday I never looked into dedicated servers, but I was forced to move to one cause my site got too big. Everything's pretty easy though.. the only thing not working properly yet is the domain, but it's only been 12 hours.

Yeah the domain can take upto 72 hours to propagate properly. However it depends on your ISP and how quick they update there DNS servers for you to be able to view your domain.