Slow page loads and timeouts. (part 2)

I think I may have stumbled onto a common denominator here. I have been consistently experiencing timeouts and slow loading pages here at WHT. There have been a few other threads here where my experiences were apparently being shared by others.

I noticed that as long as I don't open a new window on the forums everything appears to load just fine. When I open the main page, then open a category in a new window they slow up. When I open a topic in a new window as well, that is when I really start getting slow and the occasional timeouts occur.

Today opening a topic in a new window caused the headers to load but no forum. I had to close the other WHT windows I had open in order to load pages.

Do any of the other people that have experienced slow loading pages open mutliple pages in a new window as well? Could this have something to do with the DDOS control system that was implemented?

Of course I am definitely not an expert in Preventier or DDOS systems in general, but I don't know how it really could tell whether you were opening in a new window or in the same window. Even cookies are shared between browsers which were started on the same process (ie hitting control-n or right clicking and selecting open in new window) so that can't even be the case, although I very seriously doubt Preventier does anything in that regard as it mostly (if not all) deals at Layer 3 and not Layer 4 or above.

Then again, I don't know all the specifics of Preventier, I just know it does it's job.
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

It could tell by the number of open connections with the same IP address but I don't know how Preventier works either. I know we have a similar feature added into our forum software to prevent flood type of attacks and it's quite effective.

I really have no clue why WHT loads the way it does, I do know it has some loading problems pretty consistently though...

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI

I really have no clue why WHT loads the way it does, I do know it has some loading problems pretty consistently though...
    Yup... and it's getting pretty old.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

yes agree, took two reloads to bring this up. Apache maxing out its max clients maybe?
    Steven Ciaburri | Industry's Best Server Management - Rack911.com
    Software Auditing - 400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers (Las Vegas, New York City, & Amsterdam) (AS62710)
    FreeBSD & Linux Server Management, Security Auditing, Server Optimization, PCI Compliance

hmm... I haven't experienced any problems with WHT as a late at all. It must like me... then again who doesn't like me?

Tonight's been pretty bad, getting alot of 404's.

Yea, we have been experiencing problems tonight folks, but everything is now back to normal....
    -------------------------------------------------
    WHT owner once upon a time....
    http://www.gabrielmurphy.com

just dead responses a half hour ago

1250 eastern time that is
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by sysc

Do you happen to have the exact URL from the browser when you got a 404?
    Jeremy Johnstone
    Personal Blog: http://www.jeremyjohnstone.com/blog

I was about to start a new thread but then found this, when posting a reply to a thread i need to wait 2-3 minutes for it to actually get done, if it does at all, with half the replies i've made this morning it just gives me a timeout.

Only started happening today, no problems before. (hopefully this one posts lol)

edit: this one posted ok, typical
    Hyperconfused (™)

I was posting last night, it started timing out, so I hit the reply button again. then I couldnt access WHT at all, now I'm back, and guess what? the thread I replied in, I accidentally replied twice. I hit the reply button the second time after 15-20 seconds, the posts where 4min's apart.

its still kind of slow now.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Originally posted by sysc
    Yep, same here. It's real patchy.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Just in the last few minutes I've started experiencing the same thing.

It hadn't been good since the earlier down time. Sometime it loads really fast, then a page or two later takes 2 minutes or more Hopefully they will iron out the remaining wrinkles soon.

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    It hadn't been good since the earlier down time. Sometime it loads really fast, then a page or two later takes 2 minutes or more Hopefully they will iron out the remaining wrinkles soon.
    I'm sure they will nail it down soon enough.

Tell you what, to help out I will stop posting for tonight. Got 2 new release DVDs (Honey and Starship Troopers 2) and the Mrs is making popcorn.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Ok, there are now three threads titled..."The biggest spammer on the Net? Comcast?"...and this thread's title has changed and turned into one of them. Somebody please stop the TwilightZone train and let me off at the next exit. I'm getting dizzy.

Originally posted by Gen-T
    Ok, there are now three threads titled..."The biggest spammer on the Net? Comcast?"...and this thread's title has changed and turned into one of them. Somebody please stop the TwilightZone train and let me off at the next exit. I'm getting dizzy.

wow, this is so confusing!
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.

Webster, somehow this must be your fault. What have you done?

LOL

Originally posted by Gen-T
    Webster, somehow this must be your fault. What have you done?

LOL
    I started apologizing for being angry at the shirts. (didnt know all the details, like chicken is ok with it, there will be more shirts based on other mods, 'etc ) and WHT timed out.

I came back an hour later posted, and it posted in this thread. twice.
    still with me? good... then I saw that I posted twice, and you asked me the first time if I knew that I was in the wrong thread. I replied to your post, explaing what happend. it was posted after annons post here... I didnt imagine it. err, I think. I think that was in the lounge... now theres a copy of the thread there, missing a few posts.

so basicly, I broke WHT because I tried apologizing.
    sorry about that...

oh, crap here we go again!

All fixed now Don't do it again

Yeah Webster. You trouble maker!

LOL

Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
    All fixed now Don't do it again

you guys I said I'm sorr... nevermind.