mouse in a room of elephants

Hey Gang!

My name is Chuck Fox and I'm new to this forum. I've got a situation that some of you may be interested or curious about and I also seek constructive thought regarding this matter. To that end, I've decided to visit a few of the more relevant forums to get this message out and seek comments and suggestions. Basically, throw this into the "court of public opinion."

First a little background on an odd and unfathomable "David vs. Goliath" story I find myself involved with.

On Saturday, March 1, 2003, as I was relocating all of my client and business websites to another hosting provider, I accidentally mis-typed my domain in a client email, omitting the ".com" suffix.

I usually check to make sure the links in my emails are correct by clicking on them, and was pleasantly surprised to find it direct to Google, with "thinkvision" as the search term.

My ThinkVision.com site was listed first, but what really surprised me was the other listing under mine that led to IBM's press release announcing their new product-line of flat-panel monitors.

These monitors went by the name of "ThinkVision."

What I'm looking for are people such as one might find on this forum to visit my blog and --

A) Let me have it...
    B) Let me know what you think...
    C) Tell me where I can stick it...
    D) Give IBM some shtick!

Eventually, I plan on going "global press" with this blog and could use some ballast to make it more relevant.

If any of you have ever had any kind experience, similar or not, in the domain name game, I'd like to hear from you. If, after visiting, you've got an opinion of this situation, by all means let me know about it by commenting, or posting to the blog forum.

The home page of the blog explains this anomaly in more detail, so I'll leave it at that and hope to hear from you. Hopefully positive thoughts, though negative opinion is accepted also, cuz that's the nature of blogging

If you work at IBM, don't tell anybody until I go "global."

In advance, thanks for the help. Rock On!

Best,
    Chuck Fox

"The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

[email protected]
    tv.chuckfox.com

As you want people to visit your site to comment, I have moved this to site reviews.

Chuck, where is the blog located?

I don't see it at ThinkVision.com, and chuckfox.com seems to be a mirror.

Gen-T

tv.chuckfox.com

I can't post full URL's due to being a newbie here

Chuck

post some more!!!!

Here's the live link for those too lazy to type in their browser ... http://www.tv.chuckfox.com

By the way Chuck, welcome to WHT. You can utilize url's after a couple more posts.

Gen-T,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm finding that not to be the case at a few other sites I've posted too. You, seem to be one of the exceptions.

Then agian it makes for a good stew, and that's what I'm cooking up

Best, Chuck

P.S. Thanks for the linkage!

After reading the whole story, and the comments posted by the visitors, I must say this is pretty interesting and I can understand both sides of the issue. I will stay tuned to see if IBM increases their 10K offer to you.
    Last edited by Gen-T; 05-28-2004 at 07:18 AM.

Yeah, Gen-T, this could get even more interesting as the days move on At least, that's my hope.

"negative opinion is accepted"
    Not to stir trouble, but this user was actually banned from a forum when he went on a tirade towards the people that posted what he didn't want to hear. Watch what you say, if negative...
    http://www.hosthideout.com/showthrea...threadid=10905

"Not to stir trouble'

No you wouldn't do that, would you bear? That's not what your about is it?

No, you're about stirring love and understanding

Yeah, well you guys at the hideout were piling it on quite a bit. Frankly, I felt it was deserved.

Your posting here validates that even more so now. I don't know if its jealousy or just plain being hostile. But remember, you reap what you sow.

And it cuts both ways

This is where the rational minds hang out. I sense maturity of opinion here. That's a good thing. People think before they react here. At the hideout, they don't.

But hey, that's my opinion.

Huh, bear?

To Gen-T, I don't mean to bring my dirty laundry to your fine site, but boys will be boys, I guess. And I can't control what the "bear" decides to stir up.

Time to leave this "one" alone, for good. It serves no purpose.
    Last edited by ChuckFox; 05-29-2004 at 08:38 AM.

Originally posted by ChuckFox
    [B]Yeah, well you guys were piling it on quite a bit.
    Truth be told, I asked why they thought what they did, and didn't offer an opinion either way. It did get a bit thick at the end, but honestly, if you only wanted positive opinions, why ask for both? Specify that if you have an opinion that doesn't agree with yours, that you shouldn't reply. That way, no one is "less intelligent", or "feeble minded" enough to disagree.

I sense maturity of opinion here.

I guess i didn't expect the pile-on. And it seemed only to be coming from the hideout.

Other sites have been more open-minded to the situation. I'm as guilty as anyone for being vitriolic and probably should have resisted the final post, but I didn't and as the moderator said -- I'll have to live with it."

Peace, pal. That's all I can offer. You weren't wrong , and in somes ways, maybe I was.

Chuck

( seemingly involved in the *lively* art of discussion)

My opinion. You are in this position through no work or effort of your own. You have not helped develop this product. You are now asking for money simply because you own this domain name. If I were IBM I would ignore you completely!

I would say this: accept the 10k and move on. It seems to me this is an "oh fer chrissakes" offer on the part of IBM. You might just find that offer snatched away if you don't accept. However, I suspect greed on your part will lead to demanding more from them.

I would wish you luck, but I sincerely hope IBM end up offering you nothing. Maybe that would teach you to not be so greedy in future.

Incidentally, I have read your comments on your blog. The following quote made me laugh:

Well, looks like the more rational and free-thinking minds have arrived, just at the right time to slay the ill-informed.
    How amusing that you consider those who agree with you to be "rational and free-thinking", whilst those who disagree to be "ill-informed".
    Kinkamono Internet Services - The Internet. Done Right.
    Dive In...

Originally posted by ChuckFox
    [B]"Not to stir trouble'

No you wouldn't do that, would you bear? That's not what your about is it?
    No, it was about warning folks that you were small minded about opinions that differ from yours. You've now proven this again, by editing this post to be insulting..
    Your posting here validates that even more so now. I don't know if its jealousy or just plain being hostile. But remember, you reap what you sow.
    Jealousy? Of what? You were being childish there, and belittled the same people whose opinon you actively sought just before it went a way you didn't like.

To Gen-T, I don't mean to bring my dirty laundry to your fine site, but boys will be boys, I guess. And I can't control what the "bear" decides to stir up.
    Time to leave this "one" alone, for good. It serves no purpose.
    Showing that maturity again, you try to insult me and my opinion, because it doesn't agree with your expectations. And sucking up to folks that agree with you while disparaging the others will get you nowhere. People here can smell BS just like everywhere else...
    Good luck with IBM, truly. I hope you get everything you deserve from them.

Fifteen years of successfully using the name in the the corporate media space sure qualifies as "work or effort of your own."

As Steve posted that comment about greed on my site, he actually got it right. It's a complicated risk to improve this situation for both ME and IBM!

I get fair compensation, they get to protect and control their eventual TM property into perpetuity. That's not so hard to grasp, is it?

It's a gamble, and it's one I'm willing to take.

I use "ill-informed" because I have discovered, through a year of parsing thgis thing, more truth in this domain anomaly than fiction, and the truth is quite complicated and not something that can be summed up by a quick reactionary reply. But someone who "thinks" before he replies, or knows some of these truths, they seem to have the sense of understanding my position. Maybe my problem, and I admit from yours and other posts that I sense a problem ,is not helping the others understand it. I hoped my blog would, but that seems to not be the case in some instances.

In the world of ideas, I've written thousands and thousands of words, most of which never amounted to much, or reached an audience beyond a corporate training room. Some have. Most haven't.

I distingush no difference between working to add two words together, or creating a string of thousands to write a story.

Creative toil is creative toil, regardless of the outcome and/or the number of words/ideas.

But I understand your position, and if you were wearing my shoes, you'd make the most of this I'm sure. That's all I'm really doing. Making the most of an odd situation. As unconventional as it may seem to most people.

A quote I remember when I was trying to think freely in my youth, "There are no rules in the new, because nobody has ever been there before."

Happy you could get a laugh out of my blog. I didn't know it had comedy zingers -- Then again, to some the whole thing is a joke

Ain't cyberlife grand?

To your defence, I can see that you have in fact registered the domain prior to IBM releasing a product of the same name. So I can understand why you would feel this is not cybersquatting. When reading through http://www.gigalaw.com/library/antic...-11-29-p3.html , it would appear that chronology has some role in determining the merits of a cybersquatting claim.

Many people would have accepted the $10,000 offer. In all honesty, I likely would have as well. After all, I'm not sure I would be up to the challenge of taking on a deep-pocketed giant such as IBM in the courts. But you have made your decision, so be it.

The one thing that I will comment on about the HHO thread is that you seem to be sorely lacking in basic skills for participating in a civilized discussion that includes varied opinions. Granted the members took a shot at your perceived "greed". But retaliating by making rude and pejorative comments were completely uncalled for. Let others have their own viewpoint - even if (gasp) they do not agree with yours.

Good luck selling the name.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Vito,

I WHOLLY admit that that post at the hideout was uncalled for. I admit that. But like sending an email to someone before you have a chance to "calm down" and reword, I failed. Lessons learned.

I hadn't seen your (last) post until recently, and "uncalled for" seems to be an understatement.

Anyway, discussing that isn't the point of your thread nor this post. Simply put, your situation is not a "David vs. Goliath story" but rather a case where you approached IBM, they offered you $10,000, you rejected it, now they ignore your sad attempts to sell them the domain for more than they were willing to offer. What is "David vs Goliath" about that?

First suggestion: If you can't write intelligent, concise emails let someone else do it. My goodness, I read this email you wrote to Bob http://tv.chuckfox.com/modules/news/....php?storyid=6 You don't honestly think Bob has enough time to read through that diarrhetic garbage?
    If you truly feel that this premium URL offers IBM no value whatsoever, then all I can do is thank you for your time and consideration of this issue and move on.
    Sorry, but you seem to be nothing more than someone unsatisified with the offer, and now unsatisfied that IBM han't replied, let alone replied offering you more. Move on. It's fine that you weren't interested in selling the domain for $10,000, but there's nothing "David vs Goliath" about IBM ignoring your emails asking for more. The only thing I see you trying to do is draw attention to your domain sale and hits to the site in an attempt to increase "the worth" of the domain. There's no injustice, just a big advertisement (which is why I'm removing your thread from HHO).

While you may feel you can "out-think anyone of you in a nanasecond" it is my feeling that they saw right through you and your case of "David vs Goliath" and called it as it is.
    Last edited by Chicken; 05-29-2004 at 12:18 PM.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Chicken, I know you deleted his thread on HHO, is there any chance however that there is a record of it somewhere? I would love to copy paste here his last post there.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

I have a feeling you are going to recieve a nice letter from IBM's lawyers... when you get it, start selling copies online for some more revenue.... after all, mikerowsoft.com did it.
    Biznesshosting, Inc. DBA VOLICO - Intelligent Hosting Solutions
    East Coast Enterprise Dedicated Servers and Miami Colocation.
    managed and unmanaged dedicated servers. High bandwidth colocation. Managed clusters.

your site looks nice and easy on the eyes
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Originally posted by websterworld
    Chicken, I know you deleted his thread on HHO, is there any chance however that there is a record of it somewhere? I would love to copy paste here his last post there.
    I do have a copy however I honestly don't feel that anyone needs to waste their time in reading how Mr. Fox thinks he's considerably more intelligent than everyone else. I don't see how it would add to this disussion.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

Chicken

Originally posted by Chicken
    I do have a copy however I honestly don't feel that anyone needs to waste their time in reading how Mr. Fox thinks he's considerably more intelligent than everyone else. I don't see how it would add to this disussion.
    to shed some more light on what type of person Mr. Fox really is. just a thought.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken
    While you may feel you can "out-think anyone of you in a nanasecond" it is my feeling that they saw right through you and your case of "David vs Goliath" and called it as it is.
    Praise be that someone else sees this for what it really is! A sad, desperate attempt to moneygrab by a man who saw a slim window of opportunity to make a fast buck.

Well said, Chicken.
    Dive In...

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFox
    Fifteen years of successfully using the name in the the corporate media space sure qualifies as "work or effort of your own."
    Nice. Well done. It doesn't answer my point though. Was any of your work directed toward the monitor in question? No. This is just a happy coincidence, and one which you should have been glad to see. Instead you have decided this is the little man against the big corporation - a decision mitigated entirely by your beady little eyes seeing dollar signs.

I get fair compensation, they get to protect and control their eventual TM property into perpetuity. That's not so hard to grasp, is it?
    "Fair compensation" to you equals greed to the rest of us. And it's a monitor. Hardly IBM's biggest seller. I sincerely hope they are having a good laugh at your expense.

But someone who "thinks" before he replies, or knows some of these truths, they seem to have the sense of understanding my position.
    Really? Thing is, most of us with a brain have realised the following truth: IBM probably don't much care. It's a monitor. With a limited product lifespan. They could just as easily use ibm.com/thinkvision and it wouldn't cause them a moment's grief. If I were looking for a monitor, I'd go to the manufacturer's website, not desperately try the brand name in the hopes it might just have its own dot com.

Maybe my problem, and I admit from yours and other posts that I sense a problem ,is not helping the others understand it.
    Don't dare patronise me, sir! I "understand" you and your ilk only too well! You see a chance to make a fast buck yet that isn't enough, and you try and justify your position with some badly-written purple prose that spouts some rubbish about this being one man's struggle against the oppressive corporation. Rot! And deep down you know it!

Creative toil is creative toil, regardless of the outcome and/or the number of words/ideas.
    Point of this sentence? There is no creative toil in your current venture. Ignore what you may or may not have done previously because it's irrelevant to this little endeavour you have running.

But I understand your position, and if you were wearing my shoes, you'd make the most of this I'm sure. That's all I'm really doing. Making the most of an odd situation. As unconventional as it may seem to most people.
    If I found myself in your shoes through happy coincidence I would have taken the money offered and considered it a good day's work. But then that's the difference between us: I'm a decent person.

A quote I remember when I was trying to think freely in my youth, "There are no rules in the new, because nobody has ever been there before."
    Rot. I can just as easily post a meaningless quote from a writer which would claim the opposite, but won't, because it's irrelevant.

Happy you could get a laugh out of my blog. I didn't know it had comedy zingers -- Then again, to some the whole thing is a joke
    It isn't the situation that's a joke. Catch my drift...?
    Dive In...

Hey, I just realized something.....

In this thread, we now have a FOX, a CHICKEN, a MOUSE, and some ELEPHANTS.

Welcome to the WHT ZOO.

One final point: Maybe you should have done your homework on the IBM product line before considering your site was somehow worth its mythical value. Let's take a few examples of their main products and see where the dot coms take us:

thinkvision.com - Not IBM
    thinkcentre.com - Redirected to IBM (Thinkcentre are a range of desktop computers)
    eserver.com - Not IBM
    bladecenter.com - Not IBM

So, one out of four. And this "research" took me two minutes. IBM obviously aren't that bothered about acquiring the domain names to their highest selling items (their servers) so why should they be bothered about a monitor?
    Dive In...

Originally posted by Gen-T
    Hey, I just realized something.....

In this thread, we now have a FOX, a CHICKEN, a MOUSE, and some ELEPHANTS.

Welcome to the WHT ZOO.

*sniff*...forgotten again. There be bears here, too...

Oh man I'm sorry.... and BEARS. The wonderful BEARS.

s'okay..., thanks!

i know this is an old thread, and this guy is probably long gone, but damn, it's funny!

even funnier, in his article about domain name valuation he says, "...a top-level domain name is worth exactly what a buyer is willing to pay for it, no more and no less."

so i guess his domain was worth $10k, and now it's worth nothing. there's a lesson in there somewhere.
    datapimp - You only get one soul, ya dig?