Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Counter-Strike Bandwidth Usage?

Hello, I noticed that the average person uses anywhere between 3k-5k for in and 3k-5k for out when playing counter-strike. With that being said I'll round up and use the worst case scenerio of each player using a total of 11k/s per player.

For One Player
    11k/s * 60 seconds * 60 minutes * 24 hours * 30 days
    =
    28512000 K/month or 28512 MB/month or 28.51 GB/month

For Twelve Players
    28512mb/month * 12 = 342144 MB/month
    28.51gb/month * 12 = 342.14 GB/month

Those are the figures on a worst case scenerio if my caclulations are correct. My question is, does a 12 man server still use 342.14 GB/month if the there are no players using the server?

Otherwords, in Kilobytes, what is the in/out for an inactive (non-player) slot on a counter-strike server.

Also what are other factors that should be thrown in? Doesn't voice com make the the average in/out (I/O) of a player slot become more than 11k/s?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Jon Rhoads, jon@comcage.com
    http://www.comcage.com

Re: Counter-Strike Bandwidth Usage?

Those are the figures on a worst case scenerio if my caclulations are correct. My question is, does a 12 man server still use 342.14 GB/month if the there are no players using the server?

Otherwords, in Kilobytes, what is the in/out for an inactive (non-player) slot on a counter-strike server.
    I don't believe non-existant players use bandwidth

As for voice, depending on the audio codec, it'll probably be between 32Kbps and 64Kbps for the audio stream. Unless your server is doing some fancy multi-casting, that stream is probably going to have to be sent to all other players, multiplying the bandwidth usage.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

So if it's a 14 man server, and 12 people are in the server, then those 2 extra slots have 0k I/O (input and output)?

Furthermore, if it's a 14 man server, and noone uses the server for the whole month, the I/O will be 0k?

Additionally, with the voice streaming, the 11k per player is really going to average about 15-20k/s assuming ingame is being used.

Originally posted by comcage
    So if it's a 14 man server, and 12 people are in the server, then those 2 extra slots have 0k I/O (input and output)?

Furthermore, if it's a 14 man server, and noone uses the server for the whole month, the I/O will be 0k?
    Well let me ask you this.... if nobody is connected, where exactly would the server be sending data?
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions
    *** http://www.bqbackup.com/ ***

The data is being displayed in peoples game browsers even if people aren't joining. I.E. 14 man private server 0/14 - it's transmitting that data to 100's of game browsers at once. I would think there are some kind of I/O data for a game server even when nobody is in the game.

The data output from that would be negligible, and remember - it’s VERY unlikely that your players will be on all day every day.
    Jim

Whats up This is Seth from Real Time Gaming.

I have found a nice little graph for the usage for cs game servers

Here it is: Counter-Strike Usage Excel Graph

Check it out.. it has stuff for the connection you use mpbs and the player connections its awesome.. not sure if it will answer your questions but its there to help

I don't think that each player uses 3-5 * 2 KB/sec. (6-10). It's more like 50kbps total. With voice it's a little bit more but not much because CS voice is only about 8k quality. Also lets not forget that servers are rarely full 24/7. I used to run some game servers and one of the servers had about 6 16 man public CS servers. Used about 600 GB per month total. Another thing is that games are almost equal in and out. So if you find a provider doing in and out not any mixture, it will still work well for gaming...

The status inquiries you receive from game search engines, gamespy, steam, etc will amount to jack squat over the month.

I tested this one time, and I estimate it is less than 500kb over the span of a month in server queries and other non-game traffic.
    "The only difference between a poor person and a rich person is what they do in their spare time."
    "If youth is wasted on the young, then retirement is wasted on the old"

in general a 16 player server uses 100 GBytes per month if its public and based on averages of about 400 servers
    Neil R Bowen - WHC
    All posts are of my own personal view and not neccesarily those of any company, this is a personal forum account and all comments are assumptions and may not be fact.

Instead of a bunch of estimates and whatnot, let me give you some real time data:

(Note: CPU says 0 because we use FreeBSD)

CPU In Out Uptime Users FPS Players
    0.00 56.96 73.14 983 698 98.23 20

This is on a 20 man public de_inferno server.

Also, that is at a high usage time. Here is a lower usage time:

0.00 32.41 36.01 984 698 100.17 20

Also, here is about what it looks most of the time:

0.00 47.99 61.78 986 698 99.65 20

Pull what you wish from this.
    Some rate settings on this, also, are: sv_maxrate 0, sv_minrate 0, sv_maxupdaterate 100

The bandwidth that comes from a server browser is pretty much unnoticable. Keep in mind it sends in text, which is about 1 byte per character.

Right now, for some odd reason, none of our 10/12 man private servers have any people. I'll paste you some usage when they do.

Excellent responses. Anyone know the average usage for a 12 man private server?

Jon,

There are so many factors that creating an average would be difficult. Many factors such as HZ/pingboost (higher FPS, more packets/data), rate values, how often people play, who plays (a high pinger will send much less data than a low pinger), mods in use, etc.

Furthermore, it is difficult to get an actual transfer amount for an HLDS server (or any gameserver, for that matter).

Also, please note that transfer/bandwidth is rarely the limiting factor on a server, processor usage is.

That is correct. You can ask the question any way you wish but the bottom line is you are only going to get "best guesses" on actual bandwidth consumed..

Furthermore everyone sets up their games differently so asking the same question to 10 different people will give you 10 different replies.. The only real way to measure this is to get a server running and test it.

I believe the default Max rate is 8 kbps.
    20 people:

8*86400*31*(slots)/1024/1024 = GB transfered a month... (MAX)
    8*8*(slots) = kbps transfer (MAX)

I believe average kbps on cs servers is in between 3.0 and 4.0 per slot.

Originally posted by f0urtyfive
    I believe the default Max rate is 8 kbps.
    20 people:

8*86400*31*(slots)/1024/1024 = GB transfered a month... (MAX)
    8*8*(slots) = kbps transfer (MAX)

I believe average kbps on cs servers is in between 3.0 and 4.0 per slot.
    f0urtyfive,

I believe you were on the right track, but you failed to distinguish between k/s and kbps. That can become a bit confusing .

Your game information is not transmitted to 1000s of game browsers. Its transmitted to a master server which then transmits it to the game browsers, and as someone stated before how would you possibly send data to people that arent connected. Also 20 man pubs will typically take 100-150 gigs a month if they are extremely busy.

Also that excel spread sheet if i remember correctly does not work correctly.

Walrus: is that 150 gig estimate (sp?) a out-of-the-box config, or with admin mod, and / or maxrate /minrate, etc (pingbooster?)

I doubt you could push 350GB with a single 12 person server. It would be hard to push that with a dual xeon box filled up.

webephex: if your referring to my calculations, I know that, those are for the theoretical MAXIMUM (if all clients constantly were receving the default maxrate)

Thanks again for your responses.

Admin mod/ etc addons will not take up extra bandwidth just processing power, unless users upload sound files etc. .Wav files can be a real killer on bandwidth since every user that connect will download them, also maps. Some servers will req. you to download as many as 100 .wav files on connect. ping booster to my knowledge once again will just consume processor power.

Also voice codecs have a minor affect on how much bandwidth you use.

Originally posted by TheWalrus
    ping booster to my knowledge once again will just consume processor power.
    To my knowledge, this is not correct. "Ping booster" basically raises the server's FPS. As the FPS rises, so do the amount of updates between the server and client. This, of course, results in more data sent and received. Nothing huge, but its there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast