ICDSoft -- recommendation

Hi guys,

I would appreciate hearing any positive/negative experiences you might have had with ICDSoft. Basically, I am looking for a host to host my modest personal homepage and to serve as an IMAP email server, and ICDSoft is really tempting.

Suggestions for other alternatives would be apprciated as well.

Cheers,
    Ben

I just 'Googled' and here's what I found:
    Homepage - http://www.icdsoft.com/
    "Ratings" - http://www.webhostingratings.com/plans/ICDSoft.html
    Another Review - http://www.webmastersreference.com/icdsoft.shtml
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

Thanks cybexhost,

The "Ratings" link that you've posted is indeed how I found out about the company. Unfortunately, all of the client reviews (some 300+ of them) are dated Aug. 2003 at the latest, so I was looking for something more recent in terms of experience.

The second link looks promising too.

With $5/month, I think I will go for it...

Appreciate your help,
    Ben

actually, cybexhost, your plan looks darn good too

Ben

I was with ICDSoft for a very short period of time...perhaps two weeks.

I found my ftp connection to the server I was on to be remarkably slow and they tried to tell me that the speeds were normal and comparable to other hosts. It was so slow, though, that I didn't believe it for a second. The host I was with had been blazingly fast and it turned me off.

The customer service besides that was fabulous. I always had a response within 20 minutes, over several tickets questioning the speed, cancellation, and transfer of my domain to another registrar.

I found out later that their servers were in Hong Kong, which might explain my slow connection by ftp, but they should have told me that.

It is my understanding that you can now choose your server location when you sign up (US or Hong Kong).

Good luck.

Bentsi thanks for leaving a few kind words about our plans. Hopefully what you read will allow you to make a more educated decision
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services

I was with ICDSoft for about a year - my one year review is on this thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hlight=icdsoft

Other than that, use the Search feature above and search for "icdsoft".
    You'll find a load of threads and I think next to no complaints.
    The speed issues should now be solved as they have servers in both Japan and the US whereas when I used them it was Japan only - and even then they weren't exactly slow.

I host my website www.profquotes.com with icdsoft. I've been with them for about 3 years.

I've used about 10 different hosts for some of my sites, and ICDSoft is by far the best. They have an excellent ticketing system, and whenever I've had a problem, they reply within a few minutes and almost always have it resolved in less than 30 minutes.

Once I even deleted my database and didn't have current backups. I contacted them in the middle of the night their time (they are in Hong Kong), and they replied in 2 minutes saying when their DBA arrived in the morning, he'd restore it, and a few hours late, it was restored. The backup was less than a day old too.

The drawback with ICDSoft (and the reason they aren't the only host I use) is they just have the one service plan. If it's not suitable for you or your site grows beyond 5 gig/month, you'll have to look elsewhere.

Jason

Thank you all for the reviews and recommendations. Much appreciated.

I've noticed that they only register .com/.net/.org/.us/.biz domains. I was considering registering a .ws domain. How should I go about it?

Cheers,
    Ben

I have an account with them that I keep to test projects off my client's server. They tend to stack sites a bit but for the price you cannot get better customer service for that low price. They answer questions within 1/2 hour every single time, in my experience, and they are very helpful. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Originally posted by Bentsi
    Thank you all for the reviews and recommendations. Much appreciated.

I've noticed that they only register .com/.net/.org/.us/.biz domains. I was considering registering a .ws domain. How should I go about it?

Cheers,
    Ben
    Drop them a line.
    First ask them if they can do a .ws domain and if not check that you can at least host one with them - no reason why not.
    If they can't sell you one then you can at least register one with a different registra and then simply point it at ICDSoft's name servers.
    However by doing that you'll lose out on the "cheap domain" they include as part of your hosting deal.

Drop them an e-mail on the .ws question - I can all but promise you'll have a reply within 10-20 minutes.

In most cases, it's usually advisable to register the domains yourself. This will allow you to avoid the trouble of a host going out of business and your domain name disappearing!

I found out later that their servers were in Hong Kong, which might explain my slow connection by ftp, but they should have told me that.
    All there servers are not in Hong Kong. Just ask to be placed on a server closest to your residence. They have data centers all around the US. They have very impressive servers. I walk by them all the time going to my racks.

I talked with the CEO before over email and one of there US contacts... there awesome... dont get me wrong I have NEVER used there services but from what I see and hear I would give them a go.
    Axcelx Technologies - James
    Boston Colocation | Boston VPS
    Massachusetts Server Colocation, Dedicated Servers & VPS

Originally posted by jacobw

It is my understanding that you can now choose your server location when you sign up (US or Hong Kong).
    Read his whole quote.
    When I used ICD I too was on servers in Hong Kong - that was the ONLY choice when I used them.
    It was only as I was getting to the end of my year with them and I had the requirements for a Reseller Account which they don't provide that they started offering space on US servers if you preferred.

If they can't sell you one then you can at least register one with a different registra and then simply point it at ICDSoft's name servers.
    I've heard all kind of stories about registrars that would give clients hard time when they try to point the DNS to a different server. I'm not sure, though, how much of it is just urban legend. Any pointers which companies I should stay away of, and which are good? Money *is* an issue, BTW, but it seems that prices are very much the same where ever you go.

Cheers,
    Ben