My domain and confusion with another.

I've had a hosting domain for a couple years because it's what my State is commonly refered to.

However, over the past few months, we get hit with being confused with a similar name.

The other name was registered a year later.

Can we do anything to stop this?

Okay. I'll back up a bit.

It's like, we own mymotoshosting.com, which is now being confused with mymotohosting.com.

If you heard mymotos, you'd know the State I live in.

If you heard mymoto, it wouldn't be common.

I wouldn't mind so much, but it's happening more and more.

Their customers stop on Live Help. And it takes some time before anyone sorts out that they're at the wrong company.

Their customers telephone with the same confusion.

Any ideas?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Buy them out maybe?
    To assume perfection is merely a display of ignorance.

try making their customer switch to you till they end and change their domain

i dont think there is a solution for this thogh unless there is somteing like trademark or copyright and having a dispute..
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Originally posted by Bashar
    try making their customer switch to you till they end and change their domain . . .
    Now there's an idea I might work on.

Do you have a trademark on your name? dot coms seem to be fair game, as the law has not really come to terms with e-property just yet.

Would it be worth your time, expense and effort to pursue it. I'm sure you would have a case, especially if you registered the domain prior to them.

I've had the domain for a year longer.

No trademark though.

Okay . . .

Here's the full story.

I live in Michigan.

Michigan is known as The Great Lakes State.

So, I have GreatLakesHosting.com.

The other person lives in Michigan.

He has GreatLakeHosting.com

No one in Michigan would say Great Lake. They say Great Lakes.

And I think that's where the problem lies.

He probably hosts locally. And those that are local to this area are instinctively going to remember GreatLakesHosting. So, if they have a problem, that's where they head off too.

If you are in the same state, then I assume you would both have business registrations and licenses. I also assume that you became a registered business before him. So if your business relates to your domain, then they may have a case to answer even if you don't have a trademark.

Just a thought, but although getting support requests from another company may be a slight inconvenience, think of the upside. You have the premier domain for the region, greatlakes . Who are they going to think of first...your business of course, because that is the natural response. So in all honesty, his advertising may be benefiting you business.
    Why not add a dropdown box section on your signup form(if you don't have one), stating "where did you hear about us". Add all your advertising avenues, then add all the places where they advertise and you don't . It gives you a way to quantitatively determine if you are picking up some of their customers. But then again, it might just be too much effort!

btw, nice article on hostintech. it was a good read

Actually, I don't even have a GreatLakesHosting.com site. I have something else parked there.

So, I think it's just something that I'll have to live with.

It's just annoying.

Thanks about the article. I'm usually pretty open.
    Last edited by SoftWareRevue; 05-26-2004 at 09:52 PM.

the thing that surprised me most was that you spent 60hrs a week here. But I do understand, this place does have some addictive qualities.

The truth is: when it comes to trademark, it doesn't matter whether you own the domain or use it at all. If you are doing business as "Great Lakes Hosting" and can show that you are kind of established (like having e.g. thousands of clients), then you can go after the late-comer who calls his business "Great Lake Hosting" (without the "s") for using a confusingly similar mark. You don't even need a registered trademark as most states in the U.S. endorse the so-called "common law" trademark concept. You'll need an attorney here of course.
    Co-Founder @HostHideout. Profoundly influenced by #Bauhaus, @Nameslave unrepentantly embraces #Minimalism with a bias for functionality, color theory and pixel precision: a #multimedia messenger in the McLuhan sense. His totally irrelevant M.Ed. dissertation examines Organizational Culture and Change Management. He also likes Patrik Ervell, Wong Kar-wai and IKEA.

Perhaps you should change your name?

why would someone change his name for new comer ?

the new comer should change his name
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Originally posted by snoop
    Perhaps you should change your name?
    Well; yes. I suppose I could just quit using my domain. But, that's hardly the point. The point is:
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftWareRevue
    . . . I live in Michigan.

So, I have GreatLakesHosting.com. . .
    I suppose I could get some other State's slogan hosting dot com.

Are you "doing business as" greatlakeshosting?
    It's a redirect to another webhost site & no references on google.

wow spooky, the thread i was reading right before this one, is the owner of greatlakehosting selling his clients lol: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=289974

So i guess as he'll no longer have any need for the domain, there's no reason why he shouldn't accept a reasonable offer for it.

how did you knew he is the owner of greatlakehosting?

Originally posted by Bashar
    how did you knew he is the owner of greatlakehosting?
    well, a combination of my super human physic powers and the fact that it's the website in his profile, kinda gave it away

my bad i just wokeup from sleep then couldn't notice his website

Bashar

But, if he's selling the domain name with the customers, seems like I'll be having the same problem.

I think I'll just put a different site there. Pr0n!

Nah . . .just a different hosting site that doesn't include our Live Chat. Because the Live Chat thing is the most annoying.

I think his thread said clients only, or just direct your domain directly to your order page