Thread: Passwords

Passwords

First I'd like to say that you guys are great and I've found alot of info over the past hours, just by looking around.

I have what seems like an unusual and stupid problem.

We purchased the domain name of a site we were hosting from our customer in exchange for two months of past hosting. We have everything but the user id and password for the admin section of the site. After about four weeks of emailing him requesting the user id and pass we realized that it was a lost cause.

There are about 150+ members and the only thing it seems we can do is reset or reinstall the sites admin. If we do this all the members will be lost and they've paid already so that's the last thing we want to do.

I'm wondering if there is a way to recover the user id and pass through cpanel? If it's stored someplace it's either encripted or I'm just missing it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Bill

I believe that there is some kind of password reset or something along those lines, but it might mail it to his address. I saw someone with this problem who fixed it, let me contact them and see if I can find out how they did it.

Maybe I'm confused, but it sounds like you're the host, and you're trying to get the password to some sort of db-driven part of his site? Is this for a forum or something?

If it is, it probably has a password reset utility that would email him a new password. Change his password in cpanel for his mailbox (so he can't get it) and reset and check his account. Either that, or it's probably stored in the db...

Regards,
    Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood

sorry but your post doesn't make sense, what exactly is it you're trying to get the username and password for?

Originally posted by Charlottezweb
    Maybe I'm confused, but it sounds like you're the host, and you're trying to get the password to some sort of db-driven part of his site? Is this for a forum or something?

If it is, it probably has a password reset utility that would email him a new password. Change his password in cpanel for his mailbox (so he can't get it) and reset and check his account. Either that, or it's probably stored in the db...

Regards,
    Jason
    It's a randomizer site that we just want get everything set and sell off. I don't like randomizers, but think that those who already paid into it don't deserve to be scre*** because the prevous owner was a jerk.

Is it a PHP based script? i assume it has a database, just find the password field in the database.

Originally posted by Loon
    Is it a PHP based script? i assume it has a database, just find the password field in the database.
    It is PHP, I'm still wet behind the ears on this so I may have missed it. I thought I checked everything. What database should I be looking for and where?

Just wanted to thakn everyone for their help. We haven't found the DB yet, but we're on the right track.

Bill

I must be confused. Were you hosting the site prior to this incident? If so, just check his account's dbs for whatever one the script is using. If you don't know the exact name of the db it was using, look for config or connection files in the script's directory. It has to list sql connection info somewhere, including the name of the db so it can connect to it. Look for the password in that db after you find which db it uses.

Regards,
    Jason
    http://www.charlottezweb.com
    HOSTING your livelihood