Uploading large website without ftp

Hi,

I hope you all can suggest something.

I know someone who has a 300mb website and wants to transfer it to a new host. Problem is, the new host doesn't offer shell access (do any hosts anymore?), and this guy only has dial-up access. Obviously, it would be quite difficult for him to transfer the site via FTP/dial-up.

Is there any other way to do it? Aside from burning the files onto CDs and having someone with high-speed access upload it for him?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

why dont he just ask his new host if they will use wget to download all the folders recursivly from his old host to the new server over ftp

The worst they can say is no

Thanks, Matt. That thought had crossed my mind, too. I just wanted to see if there was a way he could do it himself, first. I will suggest it, though. I'd think any host that wants his business woud be willing to do it.

Thanks again very much for your helpful response!

SSH is my perfered method of uploads no matter what cause you can use applications on the server. If your using windows NT try going to SSH.com or something (they have a free version that you can download). Also the FTP and WGET commands are something to checkout. Plus ( theres more ??) go to SF.NET and you may find other SSH clients there.

Good Luck
    Gilbert
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

wait a sec didn't notice this first time around....

you say the NEW host doesn't allow SSH Access

does the old one?

if so, login, and type ftp

then upload the files directly from the first server to the second using ftp from one server to the other