* Managed.com DNS issues (yes, again)

I woke up this fine Wednesday morning to see that my Managed server was down. Ok, I thought, I'll e-mail reboot@managed.com to have my server brought back up.

To: reboot@managed.com

Subject: Server down... please reboot

66.79.190.90 went down suddenly, please reboot. thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Still no word on that. But no biggie, as this is not a production server, just my development server.

But then I saw something that bothered the hell out of me.

One of my domains for testing, unfclan.com (yes, not a very fit name, but I'm recycling it from a past project) used to have the IP 66.79.190.91.

Today, I checked DNS-tools and saw this:

IP address: 66.98.244.52
    Host name: unfclan.com

Alias:
    consumer.consumer.net

I saw that the alias was consumer.consumer.net; consumer.net operates and runs dns-tools.com, and now my domain is pointing at DNS-TOOLS!!! Wtf?!

If you type in http://66.98.244.52, you will see that it takes you to consumer.net.

I have absolutely no idea how this happened, and I can't do anything about it until Managed brings my server back up.

Maybe the server was exploited. Try phoning managed for the reboot.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Re: Managed.com DNS issues (yes, again)

Originally posted by SniperDevil
    I woke up this fine Wednesday morning to see that my Managed server was down. Ok, I thought, I'll e-mail reboot@managed.com to have my server brought back up.

To: reboot@managed.com

Subject: Server down... please reboot

66.79.190.90 went down suddenly, please reboot. thanks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Still no word on that. But no biggie, as this is not a production server, just my development server.

But then I saw something that bothered the hell out of me.

One of my domains for testing, unfclan.com (yes, not a very fit name, but I'm recycling it from a past project) used to have the IP 66.79.190.91.

Today, I checked DNS-tools and saw this:

IP address: 66.98.244.52
    Host name: unfclan.com

Alias:
    consumer.consumer.net

I saw that the alias was consumer.consumer.net; consumer.net operates and runs dns-tools.com, and now my domain is pointing at DNS-TOOLS!!! Wtf?!

If you type in http://66.98.244.52, you will see that it takes you to consumer.net.

I have absolutely no idea how this happened, and I can't do anything about it until Managed brings my server back up.
    Since the server is down DNS-Tools/Network-Tools.com's script automatically points the IP to 127.0.0.1 - It's a bug in their script. Your domain goes NOWHERE - Traces to your IP simply stop at the Managed.com main router.

-Josh

Re: Re: Managed.com DNS issues (yes, again)

Originally posted by Joshua
    Since the server is down DNS-Tools/Network-Tools.com's script automatically points the IP to 127.0.0.1 - It's a bug in their script. Your domain goes NOWHERE - Traces to your IP simply stop at the Managed.com main router.

-Josh
    I wish people would learn to manage their servers instead of starting threads bashing their provider, all because of something they don't understand.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Re: Re: Re: Managed.com DNS issues (yes, again)

Originally posted by sirius
    I wish people would learn to manage their servers instead of starting threads bashing their provider, all because of something they don't understand.

Sirius
    Agreed, especially when you're paying such cheap prices as managed.com ...

Sirius
    Like I was supposed to know that there was such bug in dns-tools' script.

Perhaps you should stop to consider what you say Sirius, before bashing other members.

EDIT : Matter resolved, server cancelled because of other reasons.

Perhaps you should stop to consider what you say Sirius, before bashing other members.

Cry me a river. You start a thread bashing a provider and it turns out to be on you.

Now I should stop to consider what I say.... give me a break.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

SniperDevil you're not exactly the nicest person towards other members of this board. Especially to companies of this board...