Question search submissions

I'm starting a business online and I'd like to know how to show my website on the diffrent search engines. I asked a webhost (MICFO) and they told me that their submission is free so it takes around three weeks to show. Can someone explain to me how this work. Do I have to contact the search engines myself to make sure my site appears, is there an extra charge and how do I keep my site on the first pages of the search engine?

Most search engines have a page for you to self-submit your website, eg for google it's: http://www.google.com/addurl.html

If your host is using cPanel there's a built in script that'll let you submit your site to that url and several others, yahoo, msn etc quite easily.

However, adding your site there doesn't guarantee that it'll get listed, you should add your site to http://www.dmoz.org which will give it a far better chance, and the number of links to your site from other websites will also help alot.

As for the time limit it really can vary alot, but if you've done all the above it should help.

Since loon answered the first part of your question I'll answer the second part. To get your page into the first 3 pages in google, go to google, search for the terms you want to rank for, and find sites in the first 5 pages that will exchange links with you. Highly relevant links will definetley make your page rank higher. Than again, that's just from my experience. You can also buy text links from high page rank sites.

If you want to start getting traffic to your site today then use Google Adwords.
    Gary Jones

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

DANIELA, you might want to spend some time reading/asking questions at highrankings.com/forum . Search engine optimization is the main topic there and you'll receive advices from professionals, which is kind of great.

Originally posted by Loon
    If your host is using cPanel there's a built in script that'll let you submit your site to that url and several others, yahoo, msn etc quite easily.
    Waste of time. No major search engine wants automated submissions, and while there may be some submission scripts that are able to fool them, the cPanel script isn't one of them. You can check the results after using that script; you'll see that the submissions did not go through. Some of the search engines they list -- MSN, for example -- don't accept submissions at all. MSN is currently using Yahoo's index (while apparently tinkering with a new one of their own).

You're right about submitting to dmoz, though. Other than that, submission is generally not necessary to get into the major search engines today -- get some links (and that link from dmoz will be a big help) and they'll find you themselves.

Remember that right now there are only two indexes -- Google and Yahoo/Overture -- that provide results for the top eight or ten search engines, which combined serve probably 95% of search queries. Getting in has never been easier.
    how do I keep my site on the first pages of the search engine?
    That's the big challenge of course. Because you're not alone; everyone wants to be there.

The first step is to determine what search terms (keywords) you want to rank for. This isn't as simple as it sounds, because the obvious answers may not be the right ones. For most new sites, the approach shouldn't be to try to rank for the most popular highly competitive phrases, but to find niche phrases which still do get searched for which everyone isn't optimized.

The best available tool to find those phrases is www.wordtracker.com -- use the tools on that site to identify phrases which show a good balance between search frequency and compeitiion.

The point is that how to stay "on the first pages," and the likelihood of doing so, depends on which pages they are.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.