if you have a secondary mail server...

if you have a secondary mail server, i mean the mx set higher than the primary one, and in some occassions mails get sent to the secondary one when the primary is down or by whateevr reasons

how do u fetch mails back at once? i mean is there a software/script needed to run in the secondary server to put the mails back to the primary server regularly? or u should log in both servers just to retrieve all emails back?

thanks

Normally you will have to force delivery of mail that has been sent to the secondary mail server.

In sendmail you can use the etrn.pl utility to accomplish this.

ie: etrn.pl secondary-mx-host yourdomainname.tld

chuck

The idea situation is that the backup mailserver accepts the mail, but queues it, instead of delivering it to mailboxes on that machine. Then, when the primary mailserver is reachable, the mail will be delivered to the correct recipients boxes as normal, and you don't have to worry about pop'ing several different machines.

You can do it the other way, of course, but the store-and-forward method seems the, er, most elegant solution to the whole problem, as far as I'm concerned.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!
    Because Simple Things Should Be Simple - YouCANHasDNS

will the backup mail server itself catch the mails again when it tries to deliever the mails back to the primary server?

It should hold them in the queue until they can be delivered or they expire (usually seven or ten days, but it can be changed)... and if I understand your question correctly, no, it shouldn't try to deliver the mail to itself while the primary server is still down.

I'm not sure what would happen if you had two secondary mailservers set with the same MX priority, and I'm not real eager to find out.
    redpin.com - offering amazingly competent email, dns, and web hosting since 2002... because someone has to!

does the mx priority start from zero "o" and going up with zero being the highest priority.

If i have just one mx record in a dns host file with priority set to 1, is this correct? Or should i set this to zero?

What difference will it make, if any?

That's correct, but for the etern utility above allows you to retrieve all the mail from the secondard server once your primary server comes back online. Otherwise, the transfer will not take place until the next time those messages are scheduled for delivery, and that may take a while.

Originally posted by Ankheg
    It should hold them in the queue until they can be delivered or they expire (usually seven or ten days, but it can be changed)... and if I understand your question correctly, no, it shouldn't try to deliver the mail to itself while the primary server is still down.

I'm not sure what would happen if you had two secondary mailservers set with the same MX priority, and I'm not real eager to find out.
    ::. www.diginode.net : Dedicated Servers : Virtual Machine Servers .::
    ::. Industry-Leading Remote Server Management .::
    ::. Automatic OS Re-image : Instant Server Reboot : Remote Serial Console .::
    ::. Over 20 OSes to choose from : Install a new OS every day .::

thanks for the useful info~

luckily i have 2 damn cheap VPS machines to mess with~

BUT do both mail servers need to be of the same MTA and same version to work?

Originally posted by lwknet
    thanks for the useful info~

luckily i have 2 damn cheap VPS machines to mess with~

BUT do both mail servers need to be of the same MTA and same version to work?
    If you are using the ETRN, then no, they do not be the same anything, as long as they support the standard protocols.

Originally posted by diginode
    That's correct, but for the etern utility above allows you to retrieve all the mail from the secondard server once your primary server comes back online. Otherwise, the transfer will not take place until the next time those messages are scheduled for delivery, and that may take a while.
    True, but you can always choose to run the queue manually, which is what we've done in this circumstance.

pls can u also answer my query above!

No, they don't have to be the same software or version to work.