Thread: NY area DC's

NY area DC's

Can anyone refer us to a quality DC in the NY area? NY has been a black cloud for us from day one..

Here is what we require:

DC must provide co-lo and Dedicated packages in case of overflow.

DC must have support available 24x7 inside the DC not 50 miles away, The person that answers the phone should be able to fix the machines.

Must provide or accept remote reboot ports. We can provide them or we can lease them from you.

Must provide 24x7 phone support. Not 23x7 or 24x6

Must have over 99% uptime. and quality NAC/Peer1/Internap etc.

Must have 24 - 48 hour dedicated machine installations.

Must be able to rack 12+ machines per month (Dedicated)

Here is the situation we are in.. We have been with 4 different DC's in the past 4 months in NY and are starting to lose faith in the whole NY area.. We are demanding and require a certain level of quality, I will tell you that right up front . Business is high volume and requires machines being setup weekly and daily. I do not want a DC that builds servers from 'extra' parts or has to order them each time. We can do that... They must have machines onsite ready to go within 24 hours notice set up and working correctly the first time. Not white boxes either we want "servers" Please no "custom" solutions that take 3 weeks to build either.. Tech staff must be knowlegeable and be able to troubleshoot in a timely manner.

If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great. For some reason the only DC's in the country that seem to lack in most of the basic things are all in NY.. no idea why but there has to be at least one that can handle it..

I will be in the NY area next week for this purpose and will look forward to meeting with anyone that meets the specifications we require.

Thank you.

Hmm...I don't see why you're requesting then. For 12+ machines per month, I think you should be looking at colocation, leasing from Dell, and having your own oncall staff and such. The reason I said this is because it seems you would be quite a demanding customer.

It looks like you want quality service and you're trying to avoid the cost of it...

I'm not trying to be offensive, but may I ask are you willing to pay for all the remote hands from a quality DC? Or you're trying to get this all done for free somehow?

We primarly do all co-lo but it can get impractical building machines all the time thats why it is essential to have the ability to order a rental if needed. Our mix right now is around 75% colo 25% dedicated.

Cost is not an issue as long as we have the quality. Yes I can be a pain but you will never see an invoice that doesn't get paid the day it comes in I have zero issue paying for the service that we need.

Originally posted by RaineTech
    May want to talk to Peer1-NYC. Probably one of the best providers in NYC and country wide. You can talk to them and work out a deal for buying servers directly through them...
    Thanks Raine, Peer1 is one of the places I plan on talking to.

All

Peer1 DOES NOT SELL SERVERS. You will have to deal with one of thier clients.

I would suggest contacting Rusko who is Peer1's largest Dedicated Server provider.

www.rusko.us or paul [at] rusko.us

But again, X some of your expectations are just not reasonable, and I don't think we all need / want to get into that again.

Regards and good luck finding a suiteable provider.

Originally posted by X-Gaming
    Thanks Raine, Peer1 is one of the places I plan on talking to.
    As for some of our last conversations you have spoken to Peer1 several times but did not go directly with them for Co-location because you did not feel comfortable signing a 1 year contract which they require and you felt that they did not have a proven network.

Originally posted by lostpacket
    All

Peer1 DOES NOT SELL SERVERS. You will have to deal with one of thier clients.

I would suggest contacting Rusko who is Peer1's largest Dedicated Server provider.

www.rusko.us or paul [at] rusko.us

But again, X some of your expectations are just not reasonable, and I don't think we all need / want to get into that again.

Regards and good luck finding a suiteable provider.
    What's not reasonable? I'm not sure what on the list above would be considered unreasonable

As for some of our last conversations you have spoken to Peer1 several times but did not go directly with them for Co-location because you did not feel comfortable signing a 1 year contract which they require and you felt that they did not have a proven network.
    Not unproven as far as Peer1. Unproven as far as we didn't know how our client base would take to the new location. It appears NY is a good location so a one year contract would be fine at this point

no, but some of the things in other posts that you were looking for were.

And for someone who ships his recently converted whitebox tower in a new 2u case with CPU fan covered in dust, to be requesting the provider to NOT give him white box servers is like the pot calling the kettle black.

And for someone who ships his recently converted whitebox tower in a new 2u case with CPU fan covered in dust, to be requesting the provider to NOT give him white box servers is like the pot calling the kettle black.

hahaha come on Steve don't believe everything you read.

Not unproven as far as Peer1. Unproven as far as we didn't know how our client base would take to the new location. It appears NY is a good location so a one year contract would be fine at this point
    Well if NYC has proven it self and you like Peer1's Network why dont you give them a shout.

Talk to Joe Cooper jcooper [at] peer1.net he will give you a good deal.

hahaha come on Steve don't believe everything you read.
    I don't believe what I read, but I do believe the pictures that you posted.

What I am looking for is a NY DC that can meet our needs. You expect certain things from the DC as we do. I give every DC the same routine as you know Steve. Some will say flat out they cannot provide this level of support which is fine, Others BS and say they can but they really cannot..

At any rate I spoke with Joe this morning and plan on meeting next week in NY to talk about options. Thanks for the feedback Steve

X ,

Maybe you should try a carrier neutral co-lo instead. That way when you get sick of a carrier you can dump em and connect to the next.

I would suggest in no specific order TELEHOUSE [www.TELEHOUSE.com] or Telx [www.telx.com]

Also in carrier neutral facilities you will be able to find several companies that do remote hand services. So when you get sick of one monkey you can move on the next also.

It really seems like the most practical for someone like your self that has been host hopping so much in the last few months. I'm sure your clients must not be to happy about all the IP changes.

You might also want to consider getting your own IP block from ARIN, this would reduce your down time during host migrations.

Just some helpfull tips for you.

Regards again,
    S

FYI X,

You can pickup Peer1 BW at TELEHOUSE and probably Telx in the near future so you might want to consider that as P1 does NOT have 24x7 on-site staff. There are several companies that do offer remote hand service at 75 Broad location though.

I wish you luck in your meeting. I'm sure you will like Joe, hes a top notch guy.

But to comment on this.. We don't use white box or converted anything. The machine you are talking about was built with server grade hardware.

FYI X,

You can pickup Peer1 BW at TELEHOUSE and probably Telx in the near future so you might want to consider that as P1 does NOT have 24x7 on-site staff. There are several companies that do offer remote hand service at 75 Broad location though.

I wish you luck in your meeting. I'm sure you will like Joe, hes a top notch guy.
    Thanks for the tips Steve, It is certaintly not fun hopping around. Unfortuantly this seems to be a trend in NY. The other locations have been going strong for over a year now. Heck I think I submitted 4-5 support tickets total in both of those locations in the last year..

Joe offered a few very nice options and a few new things coming up in the next month or two we may be interested in. I will still look at other DC's but Peer1 is high on the list so far.

I don't understand why you blame NY the state as a whole? I know some NY providers that can beat anything. No one says anything about California because of some of their low cost cheap DC's not saying any names *Cough* managed.com *Cough* Now back to the subject. If you are looking for the utmost quality, I suggest Netfire. And if I was you I would pick rusko, I have plans for hosting my machines with him soon.

phil

Originally posted by nycxzero
    I don't understand why you blame NY the state as a whole? I know some NY providers that can beat anything. No one says anything about California because of some of their low cost cheap DC's not saying any names *Cough* managed.com *Cough* Now back to the subject. If you are looking for the utmost quality, I suggest Netfire. And if I was you I would pick rusko, I have plans for hosting my machines with him soon.

phil

Hi Phil,
    I say 'NY' because it seems in the course of one year we have 'tried' almost every provider in the city looking for what we require. We have zero issues in our other two locations so whats the problem with NY? No idea... Wish I knew...

Thanks for the rusko tip we have talked in the past and I don't think he would meet our expectations nor would we meet his for that matter I will however check out Netfire.

lostpacket,

I wonder how neutral DC works? We rent the racks from DC and bandwidth from various provider?

In case of the termination of service by primary provider, we can switch to another without downtime?

Nowisph,

A carrier neutral facility would provide its customers with rack space, power, cooling, and in some cases remote hands services. They have many carriers onsite who you can get cross connected to. In most cases carrier neutral facilities are called "carrier hotels" as they have almost all providers networks linked through the facility.

Yes you could move from one carrier to another with little down time if you had your own IP block or AS #.

Hope this helps you understand a little better.

X-Gaming, if you're business is registered and your DBA can prove you've been registered for at least 1 year then perhaps you should contact dell. Rather than renting directly from Peer1 or a reseller, you can pay monthly on dell servers and then owe them after a certain amount of time. For a $1000 server generally you can get it about $30-$40 per month for a few years..You do end up paying interest but it's better than renting and having nothing in the end...Peer1 would be your best bet, they're an awesome provider especially in NYC. Also, it's great for gaming which is what i'd assume you're using it for..

you mentioned you used 4 different datacenters, can you list which ones?
    Robin Alex
    At your service....

Thanks Raine, We have a few HP DL140 series machines we picked up on lease which seem to work pretty well.