Shoutcast on Dedicated Server

Hello all. New guy on the block, with a question that is racking my brain...

We currently use a Shoutcast and Windows Media host for our streams, but budget and demand is forcing us to look for something else. I had the idea of moving to a dedicated server, hosting our streams on there (at least, just Shoutcast for now).

Question is -- I'm sitting here, punching numbers, trying to figure out how many cocurrent listeners the server we're looking at could handle.

Looking at 1and1.com, who seem really cheap. After questioning them, I've lost track as to if they offer a 10mbit or 100mbit, but regardless... lets try both. We're broadcasting at 64kbps. Would this be worth it?

Thanks in advance!

TOMMY

P.S. -- 5000gb/month, $.99 additional gig. Just for reference.

You could have roughly 250 users @64kbs...I get this info from:

http://www.casterclub.com/bw_calc.ph...=monthly_usage

1&1...

Anyone have any experience with this host? It seems like their call center has no clue. I asked the rep how fast the connection is to the server, and he said he doesn't know... "it's fast, never had a complaint".

Granted, I'll say that he was just a sales guy with a facts sheet in front of him, but has anyone every used them with something simular?

Re: Shoutcast on Dedicated Server

Originally posted by TommyWest

P.S. -- 5000gb/month, $.99 additional gig. Just for reference.
    I'm not sure where you got this from... But 1and1 offers only 500gb per server.

And being limited to 500gb per server, it really doesn't matter what speed port the server is on. If you are hitting 10mbps constant on your Shoutcast, you'll be doing ~3000gb/month, which would kill you in overage fees.

5000 Gb a month is about 15 Megs of bandwidth a month.

I can host that for around $900-1500 Depending on bandwidth and server options.

However if you dig around in here a bit you will find some great deals on that amount of bandwidth.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...ghlight=10+meg

I dont have any personal experience with any of the above... Just giving you an idea where to start.

And a word of caution..... If you are going to pay $200 a month for 10 megs of bandwidth it is not going to be that great. Make sure you find out their shared bandwidth setup and how much you should expect to get.

Normally if you get your "own" connection you should expect to pay $50 a meg on up to $200+ a meg. So about $500 on the cheap side for bandwidth all the way up to alot of money

GL

Hmm.... I throw this questions out there:

Concerning Shoutcast -- what would be the cheapest solution?

...yeah... we're one of those companies.

Well.........

I think you need to figure out exactly how much bandwidth you need, and then work from that point.

Do you really need 15 megs to start or is it really like 1 or 2?

If its just a few megs find a place that has a good deal on a few megs with a place that has nice overage prices.

The cheapest solution would probably be to get a dedicated server from a budget provider such as Managed.com or ServerMatrix and take advantage of their overselling.