* Cell Phone + 1800 Number

Alright, I am still confused about vonage. They dont offer cell phones right?

Well, I am in need of a good cell phone with a good plan and a 1800 number (preferably around $50 -$75 per month if not less)

And what the heck is voIP? something about telephone in your computer?

Thanks

I saw that, but that is only for 1800 numbers (kall8.com)

Looking for a good cellphone provider online...

Any recommendations?

Basically, VOIP translates a caller's voice into data at your voip provider's center, and they transmit via internet to your VOIP "modem". That digital voice is then sent to the phone, etc connected to the voip modem. Works in reverse when you talk, and bam--you have Voice Over the Internet Protocol. I believe they often have things that help control bandwidth usage--i.e. if you are on the voip phone it will make sure that download doesn't screw with your telephone transmission.

I've not had experience with this myself though--someone tried to sell something like a VERY overpriced Vonage at my company and I sent him limping back to his pitiful sales office.

There was an 800# provider I found just a bit ago that looked great, and had features such as giving your customer a prompt, etc. before forwarding to your number (i.e. you are a partnership and you handle sales but JoeBob takes care of support? Set it up so they press 1 for you and 2 for JB). I lost their web address but will dig it up shortly and post it for you--I think I am going to give them a try. That sounds a lot better solution for me than VOIP--but I'm sure others will differ. Cell phones are becoming dirt cheap these days, so why not?

Cheers,

Doug Mayer
    Strike Solutions

VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol. This technology is tipped to be more important in the next eecade than sliced bread by some technologists.

This is actually something I blew off when I first heard of it, but I was talking with my uncle (yay SBC) just a week ago and he said they are actually going to test running fiber optic lines to every single home in some of their service areas (I believe they will be starting somewhere in michigan)... Certainly it will take a long time, but one can only imagine the effect of the price of bandwidth may have in the coming years...

Cheers,

Doug Mayer
    Strike Solutions

VOIP is what most of the outsourcing companies use in their datacentres. It is one of the best advancements in communication and greatly cuts down the cost, which is why its used soo much by outsourcing companies.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser

Originally posted by StrikeDoug
    There was an 800# provider I found just a bit ago that looked great, and had features such as giving your customer a prompt, etc. before forwarding to your number (i.e. you are a partnership and you handle sales but JoeBob takes care of support? Set it up so they press 1 for you and 2 for JB). I lost their web address but will dig it up shortly and post it for you--I think I am going to give them a try. That sounds a lot better solution for me than VOIP--but I'm sure others will differ. Cell phones are becoming dirt cheap these days, so why not?
    www.telcan.net does that virtual PBX you mentioned.

Try www.t-mobile.com (USA)
    www.fido.ca (Canada)

for cell phones.
    --

i am currently with vonage for 4.9cents a minute for the 800 number. StrikeDoug I am awaiting your link, it sounds like a good deal. pm me it or link us. Thanks

I'm using vonage right now, with their Softphone. The one thing I wish they supported was vanity numbers.

Originally posted by StrikeDoug
    This is actually something I blew off when I first heard of it, but I was talking with my uncle (yay SBC) just a week ago and he said they are actually going to test running fiber optic lines to every single home in some of their service areas (I believe they will be starting somewhere in michigan)... Certainly it will take a long time, but one can only imagine the effect of the price of bandwidth may have in the coming years...

Cheers,

Doug Mayer
    Strike Solutions
    Yes, a company as such tested last summer 30 miles south of us in the same state. The 10MB lines fiber optic are coming out very soon in our area as well

I can't wait... I can run servers off home for only $40 for line costs.

Thats why a few weeks ago their was thread that people might start running their own servers from home and hosts will be extinct! hehe If they make lines for that price then we can see a few people start running servers and host themselves.
    "Web Hosting is not just about selling space, it is about facilitating customers needs with your plans and supporting the customer for a long lasting mutually beneficial relationship."- Yaser