Yikes - bomb scare...

So at 6:30 this evening we showed up with tickets in hand at the Lester B. Pearson Theater to watch our daughter in a play "Music Man". Oddly, there was a large group of people huddled outside the building - nobody was going in.

All of the kids in the play were at the theater all day for rehersal. It turns out that the building was evacuated around 4:00 because of a bomb scare. All the kids were rushed out and safely packed into a bus while the bomb squad combed through the building and removed a "suspicious" package. They then carefully placed it into their "containment" trailer.

Everyone was eventually allowed to return into the building, and the show did go on, albeit 2 hours late.

Needless to say, we sat gingerly on our seats, privately wondering to ourselves if they got "all" the packages. When it was over, I never saw a place empty out so quickly.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

At least you were wearing clothes at the time...
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

Hahaha, I guess some people reading your post won't understand what the heck you're talking about...

Vito
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Wow, the good thing is nothing happened. But why call in with a bomb scare at a theater? Jeez.. some people...

Glad you and your daughter are alright.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Originally posted by vito
    Hahaha, I guess some people reading your post won't understand what the heck you're talking about...

Vito
    Oh well, be assured there are plenty who will
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

I'm not sure if someone called in saying there was a bomb, or if someone just noticed a "suspicious" unattended parcel. Once the police are called, I imagine standard protocol is to not move it until the bomb squad arrives.

Vito

I used to live in South Africa during the 70's and 80's - bomb scares were very normal over there... and this was pre-9/11
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

Do you actually get used to it when bomb scares are common in your area?

Vito

Do you actually get used to it when bomb scares are common in your area?

Vito
    Yeah we did.. but life was cheap then. The first time it freaks you out... after a while you ask yourself "Is this just another scare? Perhaps I should just ignore it"

Sad but true.
    Brad Baker
    XYZulu Hosting

the world we live in but try not to associte with...
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Actually, my life was full with bomb scares.

At least 2 times in my high school. 1 time in Moscow State University. 1 time in the apartment building I was residing in.

1 time a bomb went off in the next building from my university during our class (we heard it well). And during the wave of terrorist attacks in Moscow, when terrorists from Chechnya were bombing apartment buildings in the Russian capital, 2 days before my arrival into Canada, at 5 am in the morning the next apartment building to my house was completely destroyed. We couldn't see anything out of our window - the dust was everywhere. This is the story: http://www.seacoastonline.com/1999news/9_13_w1.htm Overall, about 10-12 apartment buildings were bombed by Chechens with nearly 1500 innocent people killed. Terrible times with scenery like this: http://users.westnet.gr/~cgian/moscow.jpg

They still continue though, which bothers me a lot. The last "famous" bombing was this February:
    http://english.mn.ru/english/issue.php?2004-4-38
    Photos on the bottom are graphical.

Best,
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

welcome to my world guys.
    I dont get something. why anybody would want to put a bomb in a theater in canada...
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Beats me what motivates people to do such things. Further, note that we did not get the definitive word that it was in fact a bomb. They could have just gone through all the necessary steps of protocol required when faced with a bomb "threat".

I used to be a really heavy sleeper when I was a kid. A bomb couldn't wake me up. Literally. When I was about 10 years old, growing up in the "Little Italy" of Toronto, one night a bomb destroyed the Monarch Tavern about a block away from our home. It was a "Mafia" hit. Everyone in a 3 block radius felt the explosion, and everyone was woken by it.

Except for me. I heard all about it in the morning.

Vito

My first thought when I read the title, was that it involved you and wondered if you were fully clad this time

Glad it was a false alarm but I can imagine you were all still pretty edgy during the performance

Yes, we were all visibly on edge, but we were intermittently (and happily) distracted by the stellar performance on stage. It's amazing what a group of 10 year old kids can accomplish when they put their minds to it.

Vito

I think its sick all these false alarms @ different places.....

Cause 1 of these times it will be real,AND NO ONE WILL BOTHER

The Dude

Tinyurl is the answer for posting long urls!!!

Aesop would be proud of you, The Dude.

Vito

When I visited Israel this summer, I experienced 3 Bomb Scares. It's very commonplace there when someone leaves a suspicious package alone to call in the police. They have this little robot thing that can test to see if its a bomb and put it in a big box that holds the explosion if they need to detonate it. (I'm from Israel, but have been living in America all my life. I visit often). Anyways, the first one was at a mall, they completely evacuated almost a 50 meter radius around the bomb threat, on all floors. They called the cops and it turned out to be nothing. Second was when we got back home another day (I stay with my grandparents), we noticed someone left a bag hanging from the mirror of a car in the parking lot. Better safe than sorry in Israel, so we backed away and called the cops, they came and tested it and it was just a bag full of junk. I remember there was a third at a park, again which turned out to be nothing, but I don't remember the details.
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

We forget how lucky we are living in countries where this is not commonplace.

Vito

We forget how lucky we are living in countries where this is not commonplace.

Vito
    yap, as Xshare said, its very common over here.
    sad part is, sometimes its not a false alarm. (sadly, too many times)

I pass 3 places each morning where it was not false... you can see a restaurant from my grandparents window (50m' away or so) where it wasnt a false alarm... its annoying, yes. but better safe then sorry.

I still dont get why you would get an alarm in canada however... I mean, its canada! what does it have to do with anything?
    Last edited by websterworld; 05-26-2004 at 07:26 PM.
    IWDN - Really smart web developers... and me!
    More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads.
    One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
    Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly.

Canada - the peacekeepers of the world.

Perhaps it was a disgruntled thespian understudy who is tired of waiting for that big chance to shine in the limelight.

Vito

Good to know that it ended up ok.

Fire alarms, Bomb Threats, what's next ?