Colo vs Dedicated Server

What are the benifits of Colocation over Dedicated Servers?

I know of a few, ie: Ability to setup your own server and run it, but besides that?

Maybe this is a little on the vague side, however I was interested.

Las Vegas
    What I wanted to know was....

Why I am able to find so many dedicated server packages.... that seem to be way better deals than colocated packages I've seen.

I means, gives you servers with 1000 gigs of bandwidth for like 55 dollars a month, heck, you have to pay at minimum 85 dollars for 1000 gigs at cihost colocation, and thats cihost.

Yeah, thats true also, for the UK and the US, its a HELL of alot cheeper to buy a dedicated server rarther than colo, why is this?

If you're running a serious business, you must choose colo, because when you're growing bigger, you'll be the target of many competitors, colo is to protect against falsely claimed spam/abuse complaints and DDoS issue, in case of using dedicated provider, it will easily take down your business.

Rather simple. Dedicated they offer you bandwidth which a majority of users won't make out. Yes I know some will but the business model is based on the fact they all wont at the same place. Also you will notice it gets quite costly to do any upgrades to a dedicated server as far as hardware. 20/mnth for a ram upgrade that you pay until you close the machine.

Personally dedicated servers to me is the right way to start but when you grow into multiple servers you will probably which to have the control of what hardware is used and be able to upgrade as you see fit.

I currently have a few dedicated servers and look to move to colo by year's end just incase anyone wanted to know what my views are based on.

quality and configuration of hardware. it can also be cheaper to lease a dell poweredge over two years than it is to go for a dedicated box.

New York, NY
    We skipped over reseller accounts and dedicated servers, and went straight to co-lo. 3 years later, I'm glad we did. It's much more flexible, and it's cheaper in the long run for a serious business.
    Scott Burns, President
    BQ Internet Corporation
    Remote Rsync and FTP backup solutions

Los Angeles, CA
    Plus with co-lo if your doing a custom build or buying a dell server, etc, you know, feel, and can see the quality of your hardware.

if all you ever going to have is one or two servers .. dedicated might be the way to go.

now, as you grow .. and you start looking into 1/2 a rack or a full rack, and your bandwidth is now bought in Mbits rather than GB's per server .. colo becomes allot cheaper.

somebody here said you buy 1000GB for 80$ at CI ? .. well, 1000GB (+/- 3Mbit) on a good datacenter, with quality bandwidth .. might cost you almost 1K instead .. but in the realistic world we live in, you might be able to run a whole rack of servers with those same 3 Mbit.
    Carlos Rego
    OnApp CVO

The Cloud Engine

There are a lot more options and flexibility with co-lo

also if you look at your business from the asset point of view, with colo you are only really losing the depreciation of the server for hardware costs which is very little (1U servers tend to hold value very well).

So lets say you have 10 servers using 5mbit.

You can get a quater-rack for $300, 5mbit for $400, for a total of $700. Say you have a long term lease on the hardware. $40 a server on a lease would be $400. This is a total cost of $1500 for 10 servers. The bandwidth you can get for $400 on a 5mbit commit is also most likely much higher quality and in a more desirable location than the dedicated server providers.

Obviously you can also look at this the other way around if you really can push 1000GB on a $55 celeron, then thats a good deal for you. But obviously it costs more than $55 to give a client a $450 server, 1U of rackspace, and 3mbit. I think it would be hard to reach 100GB on a celeron however.

Bay Area

The price of stuff usually is a good indicator of how much a provider will care about you. Dedis are cheaper because typically less advanced people go with dedi, and it's a lot easier to lie to those people and say they messed up the config to explain downtime. I dunno about that, but for sure dedicated customers tend to be less difficult to deal with when it comes to downtime, and don't get as hot when support requests take forever to fill. So I think the cheaper dedicated servers is a result of providers noticing that in actuality, dedi customers aren't a very large drain on their resources (including bw as stated above... 3mbit on a celeron? rofl).

ALSO, and this is the big reason we even do dedicated, providers can control the power in their rack and control the costs of hardware better by purchasing lower power, weird shaped (in some cases matx) hardware configurations that can draw half the power of a colo machine... ex: 1u scsi colo @ 7 platter 15krpm, low profile hi rev fan, 139844585 case fans compared to a matx with a 7200rpm higher density ide or cheap scsi drive, 1 case fan, and a standard sized to 80mm proc fan... gonna use a ton less power and make a lot more sense if you're power limited (ehem...

bottom line: colo people don't like being dicked around all that much so support is more expensive, they typically use more power and fully (or closer to it) utilize their bandwidth purchases.

fully managed dedi providers give you a level of service closer to what you (or at least I) would expect from a colo provider. Obviously their services are more expensive 'cause they actually do work for you.
    -- My software isn't buggy; it develops random features --