Can I Own a Companies Domain Name?

Some companies are interested in having me create a webpage for them. They are somewhat clueless about domain names/web hosting, so they just want me to "take care" all of it for a set fee.

If I register their domain name, do I own it? Say the company saids.. , "we want another web designer with the same domain name." Can I tell them no as long as I explain in the agreement that our company maintains/owns the domain names?

I'm wondering if there're some legal issues behind this.
    Spoofee

This is exactly what has happened in the past and how people end up in court. If you register a domain name for a company and develop the website for them and they pay you for these services/fees then without adoubt the domain and content belongs to them.

Obviously you can own the company's domain, as long as you don't charge them for it (you can charge administrative fees however), and you say in the contract that it will remain your property even after you go your different ways.

I personally would advise against this practice. But this is my opinion. Of course if they are fool enough to agree then so be it.

Quite apart from any legal considerations (and you should talk to a domain name lawyer about these, and not rely on well-meaning amateurs ):

Why would you want to own an ex- customer's domain name?

I can't see any legitimate reason for it.

Yes, everyone should have their morals especially in the corporate world, and we definitely need it now in today's corporate world. If you registered a domain for a company, then it is theirs, you are just doing it on their behalf.

some people keep all info just ot keep the customer renewing their contract with them.

i see it bad practice, just have them to choose you rather than FORCE them to stay with you
    Bashar Al-Abdulhadi - KuwaitNET Internet Services Serving customers since 1997
    Kuwait's First Webhosting and Domain Registration provider - an ICANN Accredited Registrar

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

sounds very unethical to me. I don't know about the legal aspect. I wouldn't hire you with some sort of agreement like that. Even if it was taken out, my trust would be gone.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Try to tell your clients to put the domains under their own name. Explain the significance, it will make the clients trust u more. Rather than register under your name to force them to stay. If your services are good, they will definitely stay. And if they sometimes want to leave, maybe some reasons or other, it is better to part company both sides happy, than to force them to stay. Dun think they will be happy. Unhappy clients wont make u happ either.

If they are paying for the domain name then they should be listed as at least one contact on the domain. Every day, more and more actually, we get customers that transfer to us and the previous host has not put them as a contact what so ever and they want to charge them a fee to allow the transfer. We are dealing with one now where a company is a reseller of MelbourneIT and to approve the transfer they want my client to pay a $35 fee.

Be ethical and let people have their domains. As design artists and hosts I think we have an obligation to this.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    UrNode - Virtual Solutions
    http://www.UrNode.com

Originally posted by kris1351
    Be ethical and let people have their domains. As design artists and hosts I think we have an obligation to this.
    Not to beat a dead horse but "Thank you"