becoming more than a webhost

I've been told my my customers that I should become another ISP? I know the risks to do something like this, but I'm not sure if I should, what do you people think?

You probably aren't ready yet. Heck I am not ready yet. Build some more on the webhosting level and see if you can continue to manage the workload effectively.
    Patron: I'd like my free lunch please.
    Cafe Manager: Free lunch? Did you read the fine print stating it was an April Fool's joke.
    Patron: I read the same way I listen, I ignore the parts I don't agree with. I'm suing you for false advertising.
    Cafe Owner: Is our lawyer still working pro bono?

This is a VERY large undertaking and one should approach with much caution (and a detailed business plan). Webhosting is much, much different from the services that an ISP offers. Although there is a bit of overlap, there would still be quite a bit to learn. But who said learning can't be fun?
    CybexHost.com - Shared and Reseller Hosting Solutions on cPanel/WHM Linux Servers
    ModernTweak.com - Discount ModernBill Licenses, Hosted Installations, and Professional Services
    :: Pay for your discount ModernBill license with PayPal
    :: admin[at]cybexhost.com :: AIM: CybexH

This is a VERY large undertaking and one should approach with much caution
    I understand that, and a friend and I have come up with plans to get started, the thing is, do I want to take the time, I'd need to relocate, and have staff to install the lines.

Maybe you might want to consider something like startanisp.com. I haven't used their services, but it seems you use their infrastructure, pay them a base fee, and charge whatever fee you wish.

It might be an easy way to test things out.

Hello, I have been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now and finally decided to start posting. I am thinking of becoming a reseller, and right now I'm just doing my homework. I got several books from the library about network security, hacking (from a security angle), linux, etc.

Now that I'm completely off topic, I'll swing back around again I am a little bit confused on why one would want to start an ISP? I'm sure there is a reason, but I am just a bit naive about the industry. The reason I question it is because I feel that dial-up is almost dead. The key words here are "I feel." This is, of course, an opinion and maybe you all can enlighten me! I am guessing that ISP doesn't necessarily mean dial-up and that it could also mean providing T1's, DSL, etc?

Also, thanks for all of the help you all give in these forums!!! So far it has been nothing but a learning experience for me.

Russ

Originally posted by RussCols
    Hello, I have been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now and finally decided to start posting. I am thinking of becoming a reseller, and right now I'm just doing my homework. I got several books from the library about network security, hacking (from a security angle), linux, etc.

Now that I'm completely off topic, I'll swing back around again I am a little bit confused on why one would want to start an ISP? I'm sure there is a reason, but I am just a bit naive about the industry. The reason I question it is because I feel that dial-up is almost dead. The key words here are "I feel." This is, of course, an opinion and maybe you all can enlighten me! I am guessing that ISP doesn't necessarily mean dial-up and that it could also mean providing T1's, DSL, etc?

Also, thanks for all of the help you all give in these forums!!! So far it has been nothing but a learning experience for me.

Russ
    I think you are right to an extent. I think you would be absolutely crazy to start a dialup only ISP from scratch with infrastructure and capital investment. At least in the more technologically advanced countries anyway. Setting up a complete ISP service is another story entirely, as there is a fairly hot market there.

But as the thread starter stated, they are receiving demand for the service. Thats why I think something like startanisp.com would be a good idea. Negligible capital down, and no need to setup the infrastructure to get started.

Starting up and ISP won't make you much money to start off with, but if you get your webhosting company high in profit you may be able to shake it off price wise and then you could probably rake in profit for a cheap dial up service at $10/month that people will buy for internet. Take the chance to me and learn, but just make sure that you aren't loosing too much money from it.

Yea, try web design. Great source to add onto your web hosting company.

thanks,
    JezzoMaster

Dial-Up won't be the technology of the future. It's rather stuff from the past. Becoming an ISP and be around for a long time, would require to look into reselling broadband services or even residential phone lines (incl. DSL). If you are stuck on dial-up 2 years down the road .....
    Web Hosting Resource Kit - Web Hosting Reviews & Hosting Tutorials