Question If I buy Ads on Google, will it improve my ranking in Google?

Hello,

I am wondering one thing.. If I buy Ads on Google, will it improve my ranking in Google or is it totally independant??

Thxs
    Ludo
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou
    Founder of the MythTV Community Website :: MythTVtalk.com :: Latest MythTV News

Nope, there's no relationship between buying AdWords ads and ranking in the organic listings.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

too bad

but I reckon it would have been too easy

Ludo
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou

I dunno. I've heard arguments both ways. Technically it's not supposed to affect your ranking, but I've heard stories from people who declined an adwords offer only to see their site sink in regular rankings.

Could have been due to Florida, but who knows?
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

I really dont think that google's adwords does anything for overall ranking of the website.

If they did, I think that they would get alot of complaints due to people getting high rankings by paying money for advertisments.

I think that it could be possible, but highly unlikely.
    ~Marque

Your not supposed to because I also looked into this, but you can sponsor them and get those ads on the side.

how do you get a higher ranking in google

Originally posted by Hurga
    I dunno. I've heard arguments both ways. Technically it's not supposed to affect your ranking, but I've heard stories from people who declined an adwords offer only to see their site sink in regular rankings.

Could have been due to Florida, but who knows?
    Could have been a lot of things... but wasn't connected to dropping AdWords.

Rankings change all the time. Over the past couple of months, in fact, Google has been making algorithmic adjustments a few times a week, as opposed to the "traditional" monthly update.

And there's no way for people to know what's changed, beyond the one thing that they know they changed themselves. So, someone drops their AdWords ad, coincidentally a couple of days later their ranking changes, and -bang- new gist for the rumor mill.

I'll say it again with confidence: there's no connection between the presence of AdWords ads for a site and that site's position for any queries in the organic results (on the other hand, I probably wouldn't say that so confidently about a connection between Yahoo results and SiteMatch ).

Google is hard to get page ranking which is one reason why I don't like it. Yahoo is about the same though, but not as difficult, but you can never get your link into it.

Originally posted by charmedlover
    Google is hard to get page ranking which is one reason why I don't like it. Yahoo is about the same though, but not as difficult, but you can never get your link into it.
    Well, if somebody's using Google just because he has a good ranking in it, I think it doesn't have nothing to do with it. Google is used by really a lot of people probably for the fact that it's result are usually good.

I haven't really looked into Google's Adwords, that is buying up pay-per-click space along the right sides of search results yes?

If so, I'd say that in a round-a-bout way you will increase your rankings. The more people that know about your site, the more people that will link to it.

Originally posted by +sub
    I haven't really looked into Google's Adwords, that is buying up pay-per-click space along the right sides of search results yes?

If so, I'd say that in a round-a-bout way you will increase your rankings. The more people that know about your site, the more people that will link to it.
    erm... yes and no, it's not because people know your site, that they will like theirs to yours...

Ludo
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou

link*

lol, but theoretically that's true. But remember you need links on related sites, for example, if you sell flowers why have someone selling lingerie link to you?
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

yep links not like! lol

I have some difficulty to believe that by being in adwords, more people will link their sites to yours... any way, i'm only a newbie concerning SE
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou

Increasing your rankings by advertising on Ad Words does make some sense. For example, let's say I am an advertiser on google for web hosting. Numerous companies are using Ad Sense and my ads appear on their site. Their site gets indexed by google along with the ads that are displayed on the site. This then shows that my site is being linked to by the site hosting the ad. I have seen a few of my google ads that appear on other sites be indexed by google. While this may not gauarantee rank improvement, it may help.

I'm with you iblive. I can't prove better ranking with google because I advertise with AdWords, but I do know that my new site (that was only listed on AdWords) was listed on google shortly after I started advertising. This could be a coincidence, but it's kept me a customer of their's for a year now. Besides, AdWords (done correctly) does bring some nice traffic.

Todd

Originally posted by iblive
    Increasing your rankings by advertising on Ad Words does make some sense. For example, let's say I am an advertiser on google for web hosting. Numerous companies are using Ad Sense and my ads appear on their site. Their site gets indexed by google along with the ads that are displayed on the site.
    Good theory, but that's not the way it works. Google doesn't index the ads; they index the AdSense code that displays the ads. That is, there are no links on the page that they index.

To see this in action, view the cached version of any page that contains AdSense ads (if you have Google's toolbar that's easy, just choose "cached spapshot" from the toolbar's Information button. Otherwise, go to a Google search page that displays the page among the results, and click the "cached" link).

You'll notice two things: if you reload and view the cached version of the page several times, you'll see different ads being displayed. The page contents are static; served from the cache -- but the ads change. View the html source of the cached page and you'll see why: the AdSense javascript code will be there, so loading the page queries AdSense for new ads. Thus, no cached -- or indexed -- links.

I can't prove better ranking with google because I advertise with AdWords, but I do know that my new site (that was only listed on AdWords) was listed on google shortly after I started advertising
    I had a similar experience with a site that I'd just launched. It was listed on Google just a day after I'd advertise on Adwords and nothing else, no links from anywhere whatsoever. I believe the Google spiders do share some information about the sites that they visit.
    ++++++++
    Providing free cPanel web hosting for over 2 years to community of webmasters
    An independent Burst.net Review

yep, that might be possible.
    Indeed when they add the url your want to advertise to their db, they may add it to the SE DB...

Just a thought, if someone is blacklisted on google, will they be able to buy google ads? If not, it might be the explanation... they cross their db to see if you are not blacklisted and if you are not they add you at the same time, but that's just a thought

Ludo
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou

Originally posted by lubox.com
    Just a thought, if someone is blacklisted on google, will they be able to buy google ads?
    Yes.

The question of whether buying into adwords might result in a new site being spidered is a different one than was asked at the start of this thread, which was whether it could improve rankings. Many people have speculated that it does and cited experiences like those above. It's really impossible to tell whether such timing is just a coincidence or whether there is a connection, so to me the jury's still out on that one.

By the way, there's been similar speculation with similar experiences cited as evidence that visiting a new site while running the Google toolbar may result in the site being spidered. Again, it's hard to tell whether it's true or not. For what it's worth, Google says that neither of these activities has any effect on their spidering behavior.

By the way, there's been similar speculation with similar experiences cited as evidence that visiting a new site while running the Google toolbar may result in the site being spidered. Again, it's hard to tell whether it's true or not. For what it's worth, Google says that neither of these activities has any effect on their spidering behavior.
    Yes, I've heard of this as well, and I do run google's toolbar. This would seem to be a hard one to prove, as many of my private webpages (like control-panels, office webmail, etc...) don't show up on google.

If I was forced to choose between the two theories, I'd choose the former, as the latter would seem to be a lot of work for google to weed out pages that shouldn't be posted.

but in one way, alexa starts to index your site when you you browse this site in having the alexa bar... then it sounds really possible for me, the google bar explanation

Ludo
    Regards,
    Ludovic Coumétou

Originally posted by lubox.com
    but in one way, alexa starts to index your site when you you browse this site in having the alexa bar... then it sounds really possible for me, the google bar explanation
    Certainly it's possible for them to do it -- but that doesn't mean that they do.

They say that they don't, and I don't see any reason why they'd say that if they actually did do it. In fact, it would probably be seen as an advantage for using the toolbar if by doing so you could get your site spidered whenever you wanted to, or even get a new site spidered. Since Google wants people to use the toolbar, they'd have no reason to be deceptive about this if it were true.