anybody ever "bitten off more than they can chew?"

Here's the dilemma.

I'm really looking towards hostgator for a dedicated server. the prices are a bit up there, especially for a celeron, but they seem to have a TON of options on there.

I keep thinking on doing a simple reseller account until i have enough accounts to warrant getting a dedicated server.

1) Has anybody done started off as a reseller, then quickly needed to go dedicated? what kind of logistics are involved in transferring everything over?

2) Has anybody ended up getting more business than they were expecting right away?

Well, I started out with a server when a reseller would have been fine, I just needed the ability to customize it. I'd think if you went with a solid enough company who also did servers, you'd be fine.

Transfering accounts can be a pain, go with a small dedicated, Server Matrix offers a Celeron for $59/mo, not much more than a reseller account.

If you go from a Reseller account with Cpanel to a dedicated server with Cpanel it's really a pretty easy (albeit time consuming) affair to move clients.

I would strongly suggest starting with a Reseller account, making sure that the host you are getting the Reseller account from is willing to go the extra mile in supporting your efforts...

Yea, I have a friend who spent $59 on 10 servers, but none of them filled up. Spent $5000 and only got 20 accounts. (a bit extreme)

I would say start small.
    A reseller account is probably best. Use the hostQuote for that part

I have one or two customers that have a reseller account but are have opted for less bandwidth than a full dedicated - but have a full server to themselves.

They pay more than a normal reseller account, but they are safe in the knowledge that one quick phone call and they can have the whole server!

Keiron
    http://www.betterwebspace.com
    BetterWebSpace - Where hosting just got better...
    Now with Affiliate Program!

Originally posted by jezzomaster
    Yea, I have a friend who spent $59 on 10 servers, but none of them filled up. Spent $5000 and only got 20 accounts. (a bit extreme)
    Wow thats stupid...

Your title says it all, getting a dedicated server would be biting of more than you can chew, especially if your a newbie go for a reseller account.

That's mind boggling as to why someone would do that. (get 10 servers when they have no clients)
    CDGcommerce.com - Trusted Merchant Account Solutions since 1998
    Many thousands of successful, growing businesses benefit from our expertise every day. You can, too!
    We help merchants to eliminate gateway costs, reduce & mitigate fraud and achieve streamlined PCI compliance.
    Learn more today at http://www.cdgcommerce.com - we look forward to helping your business grow!

It think this shows the get rich quick mentality that exists when some people get into this industry.

It's a very good problem to get more business then you expect. If you know what you're doing you can have a new server purchased, set up and running in a day to keep up with the demand. It's always good to start up with as small as costs as possible, it will help you grow quicker, because you'll earn a profit quicker, and have more money for marketing.

Re: anybody ever "bitten off more than they can chew?"

Originally posted by prohostweb
    . . . 1) Has anybody done started off as a reseller

Yep, HTTPme started off with a humble reseller account.
    . . . then quickly needed to go dedicated?

Yep, I think it took 2mths before HTTPme got its first dedicated server. It was leased from Pwebtech and hosted in NAC. *hey Jason*
    . . . what kind of logistics are involved in transferring everything over?
    If you're moving domains from a cpanel reseller account, to a cpanel dedicated server, it's very simple, but will require a fair amount of careful planning etc. Make sure you let your clients know that you're moving them to another server, that gives them more power etc . . . etc.
    AussieHost.com Aussie Bob, host since 2001
    Host Multiple Domains on Fast Australian Servers!!

Why no go for a reseller account. Fill it up. Then get a dedicated server and add new customers there. Just leave your reseller account as is.

Upshot: low cost startup; no migration hassles; a bit of extra redundancy (having two servers)
    RimuHosting.com - VPS Hosting and Dedicated Server Hosting since 2003
    Pingability.com - Peace of Mind Web Site Monitoring

I would say start small.
    A reseller account is probably best. Use the hostQuote for that part
    Host Quote is not a reverse auction as people seem to think it is. If you're looking for a < $150/mo server, please use someone like Servermatrix, Managed.com etc. The Host Quote should really be reserved for people who are looking for custom solutions, and for those customers that are willing to make it worth the providers time to actually formulate the said solution.