Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

$9.99 a year, too good to be true?

Was looking around on ebay and found 1 gig web space with 300 gigs bandwidth for $9.99. Now I'm a very skeptical person, is this too good to be true?

yes!

Look at it this way the host is paying somewhere around $200 for the server per month

$2400 per year (server)
    1 client $9.99 per year

it would take 241 clients to pay for the server!

241 clients
    x 300 GB
    = 72300 GB per month ( promised!!)

In reality he is probably getting 1000GB bandwidth

1000 / 240 = 4.16 GB ( actually what you may use if they barely pay for the server and make no profit!)

So bottom line if all 240 customers used 5GB bandwidth server goes byebye

So in my opinion yes its way too good to be true.
    DSL WebHosting Solutions
    Fast Affordable WebHosting Solutions
    24/7/365 Support

Uhm, let's see, 300 gigs of bandwidth costs even for large hosts, about $30 per MONTH so yeah I can see someone selling that for $9.99 a year. Selling something at a huge loss is a sound business practice.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

Was looking around on ebay and found 1 gig web space with 300 gigs bandwidth for $9.99. Now I'm a very skeptical person, is this too good to be true?
    #222,228
    "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is."

#220,199
    "If you have to ask yourself if it's too good to be true, then it probably is."

Thank you.

Dixiesys: Agreed, that's why so many $1/month hosts succeed

Even if you moved the decimal point to the right it would still be too good to be true!

Yet another way to look at it is exactly how much of your energy would you be willing to put into something paying you 0.83 cents a month before expenses?

Even if server hardware and bandwidth were totally free and unlimited (and they are certainly not), it still wouldn't work for any amount of time.
    http://www.srohosting.com
    Stability, redundancy and peace of mind

The business plan is simple - collect as many $9.99's as you can in a short period of time (a few weeks), disappear. You could probably shove about 1000 or so onto a little dedicated server in a month or two's time, cut, run, rinse, repeat under a new Ebay login and new web site. Use paypal so after 30 days they can't get a refund.
    Gary Harris - the artist formerly known as Dixiesys
    resident grumpy redneck

I think that he is doing it on the hope that no client will max out bandwidth

That is not true for 300 gigs of bandwidth for only $10 is a scam of some kind or someon that doesn't know what they are doing with web hosting. Don't buy it for they are going to cheat you out of your money.

That's the often twisted practice known as overselling which is based on the hope that clients won't max out their resources (diskspace or transfer). This is an extreme situation though, and I am more inclined to call this a flat out scam.

Originally posted by CrazyTech
    That's the often twisted practice known as overselling which is based on the hope that clients won't max out their resources (diskspace or transfer). This is an extreme situation though, and I am more inclined to call this a flat out scam.
    Thats what I thought

sounds like a lie

theres no way they can offer that much bandwidth for so little price so yes i think its to good to be true..

Originally posted by ashlvsya
    I think that he is doing it on the hope that no client will max out bandwidth
    Wouldnt even need to max out if the server pays for itself then the customers would only need to use 4.16Gb of bandwidth (which is very easy) and bam the server is shut down by the NOC if all the customers on the server have simple html sites no flash little graphics no music or bb's then you have a chance at staying alive but trust me you will not get 300GB of bandwidth ..
    DSL WebHosting Solutions
    Fast Affordable WebHosting Solutions
    24/7/365 Support

Forget all the calculations. That is way beyond too good to be true.

I wonder how the customer service is at a low rate like that.
    Spoofee

I wonder how the customer service is at a low rate like that.
    I don't. I'm about 99.999% sure that the customer service is exactly they way I believe it is.

Originally posted by G2-Hosting
    Forget all the calculations. That is way beyond too good to be true.

sure is my advice is stay away from them..

cheers

I would steer clear of the freaks on Ebay. Every scammer in the world sells there. Search for web hosting in these forums here, I guarantee you good results.
    Cory Pippen
    San Diego Direct Web, LLC
    1-866-611-3604

20. its defenetly too good to be true. The company wouldnt make any money.

Re: $9.99 a year, too good to be true?

ROTFLMAO You should be skeptical but if they are dumb enough to offer it, sign up a high traffic hobby website and ring their bell. All they need is a good hard lesson and they won't offer that plan again.
    intellec
    ....you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get....

lol might try that

LMAO, this just goes to show how naive people are when it comes to hosting, I mean really where does any one think you can get anything of value for 0.83 a month, a bag of candy cost more now days.

I think the time has come for all reputable hosts to educate people about the costs involved in running a successful hosting company and the prices they should expect to purchase services from a reputable company.
    DBH Web | 2 BUCK HOST | WHT Member Since 2002. | DBH Internet Enterprises.
    LiteSpeed, cPanel, Fully Managed WordPress, CloudLinux, DDoS Protection, Daily Backups,
    RAID 10 Pure SSD, Premium Network, 24/7 Support, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee.

Over 15 years experience in the Web Hosting Industry.

the time has come for regulation of the industry...

Re: $9.99 a year, too good to be true?

I would be careful.

Not sure what the rules are, I'd post a link maybe you pros could teach him a lesson or have a word.

You can spend (waste) $9.99 to try the service. Try uploading a 2gb family videos (absolutely legal ) and ask your family and friends to download them as many time as they want. You will quickly get an e-mail from your host provider saying you are using excessive resource and they will keep your $9.99 and terminate your account
    Dixiy.com - Professional Web Hosting Provider since 2002
    AutoCreation.net - Automation Solution for cPanel Hosting! + Illegal File Scanner
    WHDir.net - Your complete Web Hosting Directory with Hosting/Server Tutorials

Whoaaa...

Give the Ebay guys a break. Any company that can sell bandwidth for less than $.25/ GB probably won't be in business for long. However, if a company can stay in business and provide decent service for less than $.25/GB, we laugh them off at our own peril.
    If the bigger hosts are fancy French restaurants, consider my service the friendly small-town diner.
    HostMidwest.com- you deserve honest, helpful, and reliable service!

However, if a company can stay in business and provide decent service for less than $.25/GB, we laugh them off at our own peril.
    Not me. I'm not a host.

Based on previous threads and previous conversations, if you are asking "is it too good to be true" it probably is. You will get what you pay for. I dont even see how they could turn a profit if they had people actually using all of the given resources. Find the fine print.
    Ceridius Networks Sales
    Email/MSN [email protected]
    Ceridius Networks - Reseller of Hivelocity Hosting
    Network Speed Test

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    Even if you moved the decimal point to the right it would still be too good to be true!
    You could move it twice to the right and still be undercharging for bandwidth so this is a definite scam.

I just thought I'd comment on this. I am the administrator of a company that only offers one plan, $10 a year. Granted I don't offer anything near what this guy is offering, I can say that you can run a hosting business on $10 a year and still survive.

Before I started my business, I was with a company called E-Rice (at the time was $10 a year) and a company called RippleHost (still $10 a year) and both of them are still standing today and have great reputations.

I spent almost 3 total months shopping around for the right server, calculating prices and I was able to offer what I offer for the price I offer. I'm not making a very large profit, but this is also my hobby. I enjoy it.

So to answer your question, yes it is possible to offer hosting at $10 a year, but this eBay guy is offering quite a lot for quite a little. Even I'd be weary of him.

I would suggest looking for hosting on HostQuote above, or something like Hostvoice.net. I personally don't think ebay is the best option.

Make sure you check feedback on the host you picked using the search feature above.

hope this helps!

good luck!

AdWatcher.NET - Ad Monitoring & Tracking (90-day Money Back Guarantee)

David Ogilvy said, 'I know half of my advertising works. I just don't know which half'. Would you like to know if YOUR prospects are reacting to your ads? Find out now!

...nah.
    Last edited by CD Burnt; 05-27-2004 at 04:20 AM.

I think that it could be plan for $10/year...

Originally posted by Dixiesys
    The business plan is simple - collect as many $9.99's as you can in a short period of time (a few weeks), disappear. You could probably shove about 1000 or so onto a little dedicated server in a month or two's time, cut, run, rinse, repeat under a new Ebay login and new web site. Use paypal so after 30 days they can't get a refund.
    LOL. I scanned this and thought you were actually advocating this as a business model for a half a second. LOL.
    DreamLogic Cult Film and Music Reviews
    STOPware - Visitor Management solutoins

Originally posted by Hurga
    LOL. I scanned this and thought you were actually advocating this as a business model for a half a second. LOL.
    Haha, same here. Most likely the truth though .

Guaranteed to be overselling like crazy. And personally, I think it's silly to buy hosting deals from eBay

Wow - i would definitely not recomend them.

Regards,
    Shawn

ProSiteDev.com
    Professional Site Development & Budget Web Hosting
    Customer Satisfaction is our MAIN focus!

I signed up for one of those 3.99 hosting for a year accounts once. Server crashed before they could put me on it. Then I got email saying were moving your account to a new server. I sent them an email back saying I did not have an account on your old server. They never replied or sent my money back. They stole a bigmac from me .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast