Thread: Question

Hybrid View

Question

I searched google and many scripts pages and was unable to find a solution to my question. I also did a google search to try to find a good forum to post my question on and I came across this one. I'm not exactly sure if this is where I should post so sorry if I posted in the wrong place.

My question: I was having some trouble uploading a very large directory to my webhost (1,000s of files in it) it kept disconnecting me. So i zipped it up and then uploaded it, but I need the directories in tact. So my question is...is there any script out there that will unzip it onto the directory that I have it uploaded to? Sorry for the dumb question

Actually, most zip/unzip (winzip, ace archiver, etc) programs do retain directory structures...

I would suggest looking at how you are creating your archives, and see if you are missing a checkbox which tells it to retain the directories.
    You've got to accentuate the positive; Eliminate the negative
    Latch on to the affirmative; Don't mess with Mister In-Between

-Bob

ahh

The directory structure is fine the problem is I keep getting disconnected from the FTP server when trying to upload them unzipped. When I zipped it, it uploaded with no problem. The reason it needs to be unzipped on the host is for a game I play which everyone that is playing's "client program" will read off of this directory (images and such...)

Edit: sorry about that double post earlier...thanks for fixing it mods
    Last edited by mccuil; 05-25-2004 at 02:42 PM.

Re: ahh

Originally posted by mccuil
    . . . Edit: sorry about that double post earlier...thanks for fixing it mods
    We'll just move it to your thread then.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Hi Mccuil,

First, permit me to correct an oversight... Welcome to WHT!

Maybe I did not understand... (Always a strong possibility!) Are you saying that you have no way to unzip the archive on the host? If so, (assuming you do not have access to your server's command line) I suggest you ask your host to unzip it for you. Most will be more than happy to do that for you, I believe...

-Bob

I don`t have access to a shell or anything like that. But yes now you have the right idea. I was just wondering if there was a script or something to do it...like a php, asp, etc... Thanks for your help and speedy replies.

Hmmmm... Well, being one who has shell access, I've never had to look for this sort of thing. But maybe this is what you're after? http://www.net2ftp.com/

Note: I, personally, would not feel safe using the app from their site, as you really do not know if they're logging your UserID/Pwd or not... Which means you will need to host the app someplace to have it usable.

-Bob

That didn't seem to have what I was looking for. Maybe it's time to find another host that will give me shell access or at least let me upload files properly.

It doesn't? The propaganda errrr... Documentation! Says it will unzip on the server. Or did I misunderstand that too!

I wouldn't jump hosts just for this... Before you do that, try a support ticket asking them to unzip the file for you.

You may experience the same issue with many hosts. Especially those using proftpd.

-Bob